Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Balls of aluminum foil in the dryer reduce static cling and fluff laundry!

Last post Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:07 AM by tripletree. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 4:01 PM

Balls of aluminum foil in the dryer reduce static cling and fluff laundry!

This is so cool! I ran across it somewhere, tried it, and it works great!

I don't use fabric softener anyway, but in winter in the Northeast, static is a big problem, and since my washer leaves things linty (and there's no helping it, it's a design flaw *cursed Maytag Atlantis Toploader!*) I have quit hanging things to dry in the bedrooms at night. Too linty.

So for those who use dryers, you need not use fabric softener, at least.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Balls of aluminum foil in the dryer reduce static cling and fluff laundry!

I read about that before, but since I don't often use the dryer, I haven't tried it yet. I'm glad you tried it! Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:59 PM In reply to

I'll have to try that. The static is horrible this year!

Jill

• Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:56 PM In reply to

If you're getting static, it means you're drying the clothes long past the point where the bulk of them were dry enough to fold and put away. Static only occurs when you have friction and excessive dryness. Try doing your wash-sort according to weight (i.e., jeans, quick-drying poly-fleeces, thin cotton shirts, etc.) and then only drying them just long enough that the bulk of them are dry enough to put away.

BTW: I haven't used our clothes dryer for 2.5 years. Whether 15 degrees or 55, everything goes out on the clothesline to dry and comes out soft, wrinkle free, static free, and smelling wonderful. If you want "fluffy," just give the clothes 5-6 shakes before you hang them up. My electric bill dropped $26 per month when I started hanging everything and I refuse to look back.
  • Tue, Jan 26 2010 8:31 PM In reply to

Do the aluminum balls tend to snag the clothes? I'd be afraid some of my sweaters would snag on the sharper corners of the balls.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:43 AM In reply to

Fear not, they don't snag anything because the tumbing seems to compress and turn them into these smooth, shiny balls. No snags.

• Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:50 AM In reply to

Sorry to disagree, but I use a moisture-sensor so that my dryer stops when clothes are "optimal" and where there is polyester, unless clothes are left too damp to put away, there is static. Damp towels do not dry, once folded and put away, they simply molder. So I have to have the clothes dry... but they are not being overdried in order to produce static. In winter, when the air is dry, the static was there unless the clothes were palpably damp. The outdoor clothesline was attached to the neighboring apartment building, but it fell down, and now my neighbor has a vertical garden that my clothes tended to snag on when the line was fixed. We couldn't string the line high enough to clear the neigbor's garden structures... so until we find a solution (perhaps a turnstile if there is adequate clearance, but our property line there is just the dripline around the house) for an outdoor line, it's drying indoors on hangers and dealing with terrible linty clothes until we have to replace the washing maching, or it's use the dryer.

Anyway, the aluminum balls work great. Thanks for the reminder to those who may be overdrying their clothes, that it is unnecessary, hard on clothes, and wastes energy.

• Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:55 PM In reply to

I have done that for a long time. No more fabric sheets. Works for me perfectly. I do change the foil every few loads.

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 10:28 PM In reply to

also can be used later for the pet cat to play with to chase around the house to drive thier humans nuts..

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:07 AM In reply to

Great tip!  I'm going to try it this weekend.  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us