Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Wow my homemade "green" laundry power also works in the dishwasher!

Last post Mon, Oct 8 2012 5:33 AM by Tussiemussies. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:57 PM

Wow my homemade "green" laundry power also works in the dishwasher!

Who'da thunkit?

I ran out of dishwashing detergent, and never liked the idea that unlike other detergents, automatic dish detergent is the lone exception to the laws banning phosphates (which are super bad environmentally) and also put chlorine bleach in. But the "eco-friendly" phosphate-free ones sold commercial cost a lot and get mixed reviews as to how they work.

So I figured why not, and used my homemade laundry powder, because it is low-to-no suds, with great rinsing ability, and my dishes were clean!

I have a Bosch Evolution dishwasher that conserves energy and water. 

My laundry (and now dishwashing!) powder is just a box of Borax, and a box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (not to be confused with Baking Soda! This is Sodium Carbonate, not Sodium Bicarbonate, and that is a huge difference... but still a natural Earth mineral) mixed together with one grated bar of Kirk's Castile Soap (I use a Microplane grater I got free with my long-ago one-season subscription to Cooks Illustrated). I keep it divided between the emptied Borax and Washing Soda boxes with a marker scribbling through the labels as to what it is.

It also scrubs toilets, scrubs ovens and stoves, and other tough jobs. But use gloves when using it, because eco-friendly or no, it is caustic.

Oh and for laundry, 2 teaspoons per large load is plenty. Wont' get stains out, but gets laundry washed and fresh without perfumes, petrochemicals, etc.

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:26 PM In reply to

Re: Wow my homemade "green" laundry power also works in the dishwasher!

I use the same recipe for my laundry detergent, but I use Zote soap instead of the Castile. You're right about it not removing stains. What I do to remove stains is rub a slightly wet bar of Ivory soap over the stain before I put the garment into the washing machine, and it works fine. (Even on leaky diaper stains, ewww.)

I will have to try using the detergent in the dishwasher next time. Thanks!!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:55 PM In reply to

Well I be damned thats cool I may give it a shot.:)

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:37 AM In reply to

Cool! I bought some Zote once, but had to get rid of it because I am allergic, amongst other things, to lavender, and certain synthetic fragrances also set me off, and the Zote, as well as the current formulation of Fels-Naptha laundry bar, make me itch like mad even just breathing them. Also, aside from that, I wanted to get away from petrochemical detergents, and both of those are detergent bars, not true soap.

But I do wish the fragrance of Zote didn't bother me, because I like it.

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:45 AM In reply to

Oh, I don't live in a hard water area. If others do, results may vary. And of course, the disclaimer: I do not advise anyone else to try anything that goes against manufacturer's recommendations. Of course.

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:13 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Best stain remover that I have found is Dr.Bonners Castile soap , the peppermint one, I just rub it on stain full strength. I use it on DS cooks coats. They can be nasty. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I used to use laundry soap in the dishwasher a couple of decades ago. amway brand probably because my boyfriend sold it so it was around.  just don't use too much or lots of foam!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Jan 28 2010 10:18 PM In reply to

Ok the dish washer first do I put one or 2 table sppons in the dish washer for this...

Secound question need help bad on this I got hardwater what messergerment lets say cup or hallf cup for a full load for the washer I have a 12 year old washer from whirlepool good washer just donet know never had to do it the hubby did..

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:04 AM In reply to

For my dishwasher I just fill the dispenser just like I did with storebought. However I will say that if you have a lot of grease, I am noticing that it is clinging to the filter, instead of dissolving, so whereas it's working for me so far, it could possibly cause a clog in the line for someone. If you aren't comfortable with unclogging the line yourself, you may want to buy Seventh Generation or other eco-friendly stuff. Seems to be basically the same stuff, but with vegetable enzymes (probably papaya and/or pineapple enzyme if I had to guess) and citric acid, and sodium silicate added.  I put a greasy baking dish in and got scum on the filter, though it still worked.

As for hard water, I can't advise on that... since this powder contains soap, and soap tends to curdle in hard water, it may or may not work for that situation.

Good luck and let us know if it does work out well for you, hard water and all!

• Sun, Feb 21 2010 11:49 PM In reply to

Have the ingredients for the Fels Naptha version, but haven't put it together yet. Have used Seventh Generation laundry detergent for a long time, but only need half measure. We do have a water softener. Think I'll put this on this week's calendar and try it for the dishwasher too. Thanks. AM
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us