Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Ideas for USEFULL crafty gifts

Last post Sat, Dec 24 2011 8:26 AM by dakota55. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 10:08 AM

Ideas for USEFULL crafty gifts

Hello all,

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere but I need ideas. I want to put my crafty skills to use to make gifts for friends and family instead of buying stuff. I want to make things that will be usefull and not just something they'll say, "oh how nice" and have it just get put away or thrown away.

Thanks

• Wed, Sep 12 2007 10:40 AM In reply to

Re: Ideas for USEFULL crafty gifts

Something we did at my moms group (we are doing it again), is make stamped tiles. You use the scrapbooking/card making stamps, wall/floor tiles and you can put the felted feet on the bottom.  Or make a bunch of cards, general, birthday etc.  Food goodie baskets are always popular.

My Family's Interests
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 10:56 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

lamuneca0325:
    I want to put my crafty skills to use to make gifts for friends and family instead of buying stuff.

What kind of crafts do you do? That would help us come up with ideas.

Welcome to the community, by the way! Smile 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:17 AM In reply to

Dear Lamuneca, On top of Pat's request to know what kidn of crafts you do, I'd like to know the kinds of materials you haveon hand for yoru crafts, so you don't have to go out to spend money on your gifts ....

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am an intermediate quilter and beginner lockerhooker. I've got tons of scrap fabric but not tons of time. What I'd like is ideas of small (relatively quick and simple) projects of usefull things. I'd love to make full quilts for everyone but again, no time. I've got several unfinished full size projects nagging me now.

Terri

• Thu, Sep 13 2007 12:12 AM In reply to

Since you are a quilter, what about placemats, table runners etc. I am trying to think of little things a lady I know who taught quilting classes. She made lots of stuff that she sold. She was a master quilter! lovely stuff.  Pincushions (rooster shaped etc) , tea pot covers, tote bags I remember. Another idea. Scented hot pads. straw pad (or similar), add some spices like cinnamon, a little batting..cover with fabric, glue gun on to the bottom, add some trim.  So when you put a hot pot on it, the heat will release the spice smell.

Another easy idea is hot massage bags ? The ones you heat in the microwave and put on your shoulders or knees etc for aches and pains. You make about a 14 - 18" fabric tube, add a couple of cups of dry rice, sew it close. pop in microwave for a minute to heat. I think you can add lavender etc too.  Sachets are nice or eye masks.

My Family's Interests
  • Thu, Sep 13 2007 8:24 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

My daughter made the cutest gifts a few years ago and they are still being used today.  She called them Snap Dragons. (like a dragon fly)

Basically, you use the snap type wood clothes pins, paineted in bright colors anyway you like, glue on googly eyes, add netting wings

You can use these to hold bags shut or add a magnet and use for clips on the fridge door.   A simple gift but fun and useful.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Sep 17 2007 5:37 AM In reply to

• momto2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2007
    • Posts 37

I am also a quilter.

Here are some ideas:

cloth napkins with 2 layers turned and topstitched like a pillow.

Pillow & pillow cases(you can peice them and use a quilt block)

Tote bags/reusable grocery bags (again using a quilt block or the legs from old jeans)

fabric gift bags with a drawstring

Purses there are tons of patterns out there(I use old jeans and cut the legs off sew the bottom up then take the inseams of the legs as handles less than 20 minutes to make)

Use some strips of fabric and add them to plain towels/washcloths/handtowels/kitchentowels

• Mon, Sep 17 2007 5:40 AM In reply to

• momto2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2007
    • Posts 37

I forgot you can also sew slippers, gloves, mittens, hats, scarves easily using cheap fleece.

The weekend after Thanksgiving solid color fleece usually goes on sale at Joann's for $1.99 a yard and for scarves you don't even have to sew it because it doesn't unravel.

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 3:45 PM In reply to

• howdah
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 28 2007
    • Posts 56

Since you are a quilter, mug rugs. These are just tiny quilts, about 4-5 inches square.

You can also make wine glass coasters that fit on the bottom of the glass. Make 4 circles about 1 inch larger than the stem of the glasses. Add some batting between two of the circles, fold the other two in half and put on top of the top circle with the folded edges together. Bind the edge. The base of the glass slips between the two folds and stays with the glass. Give a set of four or six all different. That way guests can identify their glass if they set it down.

You can find patterns for sewn wallets and pocket Kleenix cases and many other items at this website: http://sewing.about.com/

Sharon

Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us