Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Steam Mops

Last post 02-08-2010 9:53 PM by Zeus. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-15-2010 11:37 PM

Steam Mops

Anyone have one?  If so, tell me about it.  I want to buy one, but am not sure what to get.  I bought a Bissell steam mop from Target, it stinks and I'm sending it back.  All the reviews I've been finding have almost equal number of good to bad for each model, so I'm not finding any front runners.  Any advice, experience, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • 01-16-2010 3:33 AM In reply to

Re: Steam Mops

I have a vapor steamer with the mop attachment.  It is by McColluch 1275 (sp?) and looks like a small tank sweeper.  I've had it several years now and paid around $100  online for it.  I love mine.  I clean ovens with it, toilets, dog cages, grout...many things... in addition to just the floor. There are some higher end vapor steamers that I dream of owning ($$$$) but the McColluch does nicely for a lower priced one. It does take about 15 min to heat up but it gets hotter and has more pressure than some of these "common" store items.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 01-26-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

I received a Shark steam mop last year.  Although I don't think it does a great job deep cleaning (I still get out the bucket and brush for that every once in a while), I do find that a quick weekly cleaning with it helps to keep my kitchen and bathroom floors in good shape -- and it is so light and easy to use that I don't mind getting it out for spot cleaning spills or mud/snow.

• 01-28-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

• bama52
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2010
    • Posts 1

I love my Shark Steam mop - a friend has one of the 'first generations' and raved about it. After watching the infomercial, found that the newest one was what I wanted because: - the triangle head works great in bathrooms - the steam glider for carpet refreshing works well - the larger rectangular mop head is excellent for large floor areas like kitchens - cleaning products are eliminated - use water - it really is far simpler than traditional mopping - no bucket and since I always wash my mop head, the addition of throwing the steam mop head in the washer was not a change After using my coupon, and taking advantage of an after Christmas sale, I bought mine at a Bed Bath and Beyond - think it was around $89 - far less than the infomercial. Have already disposed of my old mops and stuff. Hope this helps.
  • 01-28-2010 9:33 AM In reply to

I have the Shark steam mop. I like it b/c it is lightweight, easy to use, heats up fast (one minute) and was reasonably priced--I think I paid $79 with a coupon. While I still do the deep clean on my hands and knees (ok, not at 37 weeks preg, LOL), the steam mop takes care of weekly (or more often) cleaning of my kitchen, bath and wood floors. My only complaint: the power cord is not quite long enough. I do like the chemical-free aspect of the steam cleaning and feel like the Shark does a nice job.

I've had mine for about 3 years.

Erika
  • 01-30-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

I also have one of the original Shark steam mops with the rectangular head, and I hate it. I have approximately 1000 sf of floor space downstairs, mostly hard wood. On the original Shark, the water tank is too small and the cord is way too short. Plus when the microfiber (terry cloth) head gets wet, it drags on the hard wood floor and requires a considerable amount of shoulder strength to push. I only use it when I'm ready for a workout.

The newer generation of the Shark mop has a larger water tank and longer cord. And it has a triangular head, too, I believe.

The only thing good I can say about it is that it does clean good, and it does a good job on textured vinyl floors (in my upstairs bathrooms), whereas my Ready Mop doesn't.

Jill

• 02-08-2010 9:53 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

I have an Enviro Steam mop that I like a lot. I got it at Walmart a few years ago. It cleans my tile floors really well and it's well made from Italy. I just fill the reservoir with distilled water.

However, I do not recommend the steam systems sold  for sanitizing toilets, faucets, etc. I went for that splurge once and the directions said to hold the nozzle in one spot on a toilet for 7 sec 2 kill germs. I figured at that rate, it would take me 30 min to clean a toilet... no thanks. Times awasting.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us