Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

Last post Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:29 PM by LCache. 432 replies.
Page 42 of 44 (433 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday on my run to the city, I stopped at Deseret Industries to look for more glass cloches for the garden, & for jars.  No cloches, but I found 9 half pints, 1 squatty pint & 3 embossed quart jars in great shape, most with good rings on them, for $4.10. 

Stopped at Savers, & found a huge stack of American Girls books for 99 cents each.  Most were in pretty rough shape, but I looked thru & found 4 in good shape, & went to the register with my half pint jar & the 4 books.  I asked if they still offered the "senior" discount on Wednesdays & the clerk said yes, then asked if I wanted to get 5 books, explaining that childrens' chapter books were buy 4, get one free - - so I went back over & found one more! 5 AG books & a half pint jar, for $3.64 - gotta love it.

• Sat, Apr 19 2014 2:32 PM In reply to

Went to Williamsburg last weekend, and hit quite a few thrifts on the way and while we were there. DH found several polo shirts with local college logos on them, mainly William and Mary and Christopher Newport University. He likes to wear college shirts to work, to strongly hint to his 7th grade students that maybe they should start thinking ahead a little. LOL.

I found two large-ish Pyrex mixing bowls, one in blue with a white flower design which I can't remember the name of, and one in rust and brown (yes, it's kind of ugly!) with fruit outlined on it, called 'Old Orchard.' It's my least favourite pattern, but it was in great condition and I figure I can use it at Thanksgiving. And it was only $2.50. Stick out tongue

Also found two brand new Vera Bradley handbags. One is fairly large, will hold everything, including the kitchen sink. The other is more of a flat, cross-body bag, but it's on the large side for that sort of bag. And both of them are of fairly recent patterns, unlike most of my other Vera bags. Like someone bought them just a year or two ago and then never bothered to use them. I'm not sure, but I may give one of the bags away as a gift; they're that brand new that I can do that, and I really don't need two new bags (well, I don't need even ONE, but well, you know...). Both bags were half price as their tags were this week's 50% off colour, so I got both for just over $20.

I think we got a couple other items, but I can't remember what they were. Oh--a clear Pyrex casserole lid for 79 cents; I can always use lids. And a Pfaltzgraff...well, I don't know what it's called, but it's a little rectangular dish you put your reading glasses in when you're not using them. It's in one of the patterns that I collect, the one with the little garden tools all over it (I really need to brush up on pattern names, obviously). And I think that's all we found. Not a huge haul, but a good one. LOL.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sat, Apr 19 2014 3:30 PM In reply to

Sounds like spring is a good season for thrift!  I just got an old fashioned "reel" type (no motor) lawn mower or 5.99 at a St. Vinnie's.  Very excited.  I had one, but had given it to friends that I often trade things with, and "upgraded" to an electric mower with a bag (bought used...of course).  Now I"m heading to off grid living so no plug in.  My friends are really enjoying the mower and it was always a bit big for me to push around so pretty cool to find this littler one in good shape.  It needs sharpening and adjusting but after decades of owning one, I know how to do that.    I'll put the electric one in the moving yard sale or leave it by the street with a "free" sign on it when it's time to move.

• Sat, Apr 19 2014 4:58 PM In reply to

Found a nice framed picture at a yard sale for $3.

• Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:56 PM In reply to

Loveday: speaking of purses...I like a small one as don't have any items for anyone but myself to put in it. Hard to find pretty, small handbags. Took a couple huge boxes of stuff to the thrift store yesterday and didn't even go inside to see what they had! :) Chalk one up for me!
  • Wed, Apr 23 2014 12:35 PM In reply to

good willpower kassy!     stopped at value village for the sale to see what they had for summer clothes for dd. got a skirt, and skorts so will see if they fit her. growing like a weed.

• Wed, Apr 23 2014 11:51 PM In reply to

today in a donation  i found 4 cases of jelly jar new used and several canning tools  all for $5.00  came in the grils were all some happy  according to them they can make candle, and jally,for 4th  of july ...  

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

today in a donation  i found 4 cases of jelly jar new used and several canning tools  all for $5.00  came in the grils were all some happy  according to them they can make candle, and jally,for 4th  of july ...  

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Gayla57

• Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:14 PM In reply to

Found a set of 5 cream colored, quilted cases for china, the kind with the zippers, in perfect shape.  So expensive in the stores, & so inexpensive 2nd hand!

Page 42 of 44 (433 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us