Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

Last post Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:29 PM by LCache. 432 replies.
Page 2 of 44 (433 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:26 PM In reply to

Re: Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

I like thrift stores, I just have to be careful or else I want something I don't need just because it's $2! I have a page where I want to log the user-voted best thrift stores in the U.S. So far I only have one. :) I'm trying to avoid more popular ones like Salvation Army and Goodwill simply because anybody can find one of those. My list is here: http://www.naturalfrugality.com/clothingtips/clothes_buying.htm.

The list only covers clothes but maybe I'll add one for other items later. 

• Sun, Jan 10 2010 1:12 AM In reply to

Bwallace nice web page there and yes to get quality clothes know what to get and check if there is rips, stains if it checks out for approveal I say get that puppy and run I don't go along with the goofie fashions I hardly go shopping but since I closed the delie I think its time to clean the junk out of the condo and get better stuff threw the thrift shop I found great furniture and cutains and certain  antiques its great..

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:14 AM In reply to

I got a comfoter for $10.43 so I am now bragging rites today found a sweater for 5.00 and two book for 1.00 all for 16.00 pretty neat keeping warm and keep the room looking somewhat nice with a new comforter my other one finally had to be shot and hung while I was at it I have a thing about reading got the two books just to keep me from going nuts from boardom so thats my find I thought I did good usally I do better then that but the mission was a comforter and got it.

• Fri, Jan 15 2010 5:15 AM In reply to

• madgurl9
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 2 2009
    • South Australia, Australia
    • Posts 42

I visited some today which I haven't done for awhile, found a great one a few suburbs away a Salvation Army one found 4 crystal liquor glasses for $4, a tin which I bought for 50c and a solid silver picture frame which I used for a baby photo of DS.

I used the tin for a pencil cup to store my spare stationary in, my old one was haggered! I love finding a bargin.

I found that alot of thrift stores were running low on stock, I donated a bag of goodies after last Christmas.

I love being frugal
  • Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:07 PM In reply to

Love 'em all!  Those 25-cent Salvation Army books are my favorites, but the little satin nightgown, the wooly sweats and nice but unworn office suit, two small but superlatively organized purses, and the incredible quantities of good music I've picked up over the years qualify, too. 

• Sat, Jan 16 2010 8:18 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My favorite 2009 thrift store buys are:

Wood dresser painted pink with Disney princess stickers applied, a $14 purchase.

Pink and purple comforter, purple bedskirt and purple curtain, all for under $20.

First set of Tiara Club books, new condition with all the sticker pages still complete, whole set was less than one book's price at the book store.

Readers, math workbook and other books for schooling. Prices ranged from .25 to .50.

Bathroom accessory set from Target that I loved. I passed on buying it new and found it for much less.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 17 2010 5:47 PM In reply to

I love my thrift stores - I go shopping every week (several times a week actually).  someone has already created a pretty good thrift store directory at http://www.thethriftshopper.com (just has non-profits).  

My thrifts that I like the most are small, independently run non profits.  I find the prices at larger thrifts like Sal Army and Goodwill are higher than what I pay for similar stuff.

• Sun, Jan 17 2010 6:58 PM In reply to

• Nancy B.
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 20 2009
    • MD...soon...FL.
    • Posts 26

Palucas6....exactly how I feel.......don't do much of it in Maryland but had a ball in Florida after a new friend gave me a tour of the many Thrifts there. Found all the clothing brands you mentioned....some new....also Furnished my little place in Bradenton with lightly used treasures.  Wednesdays are 1/2 priced days...so much fun.... Shopping this way makes such good cents.

• Fri, Nov 26 2010 2:51 PM In reply to

Nancy B.:
    Shopping this way makes such good cents.

I agree.  I do check items over carefully, & generally only purchase what is in perfect condition. "Used", but not really at all,is not as hard to find as one would think. I believe that many gifts that simply did not suit the recipient end up at thrift stores, sometimes in the original packaging.

I think my best finds for 2010 in thrift stores were the "Christmas Charm" vegetable serving bowl I found at Savers for $2.99, and the two sugar bowls in the same pattern, found at Deseret Industries for $1.50 and $2, respectively. All three were in perfect condition.

This is our oldest D's Christmas china pattern that is now retired.  At the online replacement stores, that bowl would cost $50-$68, depending on the store, and the sugar bowls would be $14 apiece, so I saved between $71.50 & $92.50, not counting shipping & handling.  DD will use the sugar bowls to hold condiments like olives & homemade cranberry sauce (she makes the best!, & the vegetable bowl will serve the mashed potatoes.

• Sat, Nov 27 2010 9:48 AM In reply to

• OhDonna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 19 2010
    • Posts 33

I have a list going on what I need,thrift shop will be the first  place I look before shopping in stores.On my list this weekend,is a bathroom throw rug and showercurtain liner,measuring cup and maybe a can opener.

I think thrift shops are the best way to make ends meet.Hubby and I bought last weekend a 5 gallon fish tank with all the extras from gravel to pump, filter, top, light, fish food and 2 nets.All working order and clean! Just needed fish and water!.Only cost us 9.00 total...you just cant beat that $$ savings!

Page 2 of 44 (433 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us