Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

homesteading in town

Last post Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:12 PM by Floyd Boy. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:31 AM

• beckyJo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 30 2009
    • Posts 10

homesteading in town

i plan on moveing to town so its good bye garden and chickens... is there any ways to kinda keep with my homestead life style even while living in town

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:41 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: homesteading in town

That depends on the place you move to. I live in town and garden, can, sew, knit, mill grains, bake, etc. If you have a back yard, put in a garden. There are lots of things you can do to live a more sustainable life in town, but you can't do everything. Most towns have ordinances against chickens, but many of them will allow a limited number if your lot is big enough.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:58 AM In reply to

Don't give up on the garden! There's lots you can grow in a tiny space!! Or use pots and planters for things like tomatoes and strawberries. I would never give up gardening even if I could only use window boxes.

Check your city ordinances regarding chickens. Just in the past 2 years, there have been many metropolitan areas that have ok'd a limited numbers of hens (no roosters) per family.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 12:02 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

several friends gardened in flower beds this past summer

and containers gardening, check with you county see if class that interest you are in ..  hopefully you be closer to the library they often have classes ..  good luck and keep us posted .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 12:22 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

You may not be able to fit in the big garden but is there an ability to do some planting or have containers with plants?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Oer the past; year, 20 homes were given permission to have chickens in my town. They are limited in how many and a few were told no roosters. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 12:29 PM In reply to

We live on 1 acre in the country, but this past summer I grew cucumbers in pots on my back patio and some cherry tomatoes and strawberries in hanging baskets.

Just be sure to check for watering every day, they'll dry out quicker in the pots.

~Living frugally at the edge of the forest ~
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:53 PM In reply to

Check if a farmers' market is available, or even a vacant lot where gardeners sell surplus produce.  You can put up jars if the produce is cheap.  I kept a woodstove in town, and fueled it with wood cut by the city from downed trees, and by scraps from the pallet company. You can grow one tomato, one pepper, green onions, and herbs in a small space, and Park Seed, among others, has varieties for container or small-space gardens. Cukes can be trellised.  If you have a fence, see if you will be allowed to plant peas or beans.  

The days of cheap gas and rural commuters are pretty much gone.   You have my sympathy. 

• Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:56 AM In reply to

Another thing some homesteaders do that can be done in town is to keep a hive of honeybees. I had neighbors in two towns who kept rabbits.

• Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:41 AM In reply to

yes rabbits are another great idea. Just watch out for wandering neighbor dogs.

We had fried rabbit last night, I think it was the last in our freezer. Got to get the bunnies busy in March!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us