Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Kitchen Decorating

Last post 12-19-2013 1:08 AM by audrycampbell. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2010 8:11 PM

Kitchen Decorating

I've been pretty busy with some painting projects over the last few days. I was ready for some change from the blah white walls of my kitchen and living room areas, so I am doing my kitchen and laundry area in a soft yellow, and the dinning area  and living room will be a taupeish beige color called water chestnut.

I also decided to repaint the ceilings first. (yuck), I now have new highlights in my hair! Anyway, while I was doing that, my DH suggested painting the tops of my kitchen cabinets white and putting a strand of small led lights up there. (we bought some for cheap after christmas). Wow, it looks great!I It gives a little glow to make my glass cakeplate, some old blue canning jars, etc just sparkle. Of course this only works if you have the cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling.

Donna

• 01-04-2010 8:17 PM In reply to

Re: Kitchen Decorating

Donna, that sounds lovely!  I've laid out a painting schedule for myself.  I intend to slowly but surely get my whole house painted by year's end.  I'm going to do a room a month, which gives me a couple months of smaller, easier rooms and also months that have nothing planned.  I figure this way I can really change the look of the house without spending a ton of money.  It's more my time costs, but I need a project to tackle and be able to say "Look what I got done in 1 year!"
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 01-04-2010 8:38 PM In reply to

Thanks, Sunshinetreva, I'm having a lot of fun with this, even though it is a lot of work. We are slowly moving back in this house,(north Ga.) we've had it for 15 years. We are putting the house in Tn. up for sale soon,since myDh transfered back closer to this house. We bought the one in Tn. because he had got tired of the 80 mile commute, but it doesn't take long to get tired of living in two houses at the same time,lol

Two of our sons just bought homes in the last few weeks, so I have been helping with their projects.I'm getting a lot of experience with home improvement stuff.

Donna

• 01-05-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

donna england:
    putting a strand of small led lights up there

I like your lighting idea.

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 01-07-2010 7:29 AM In reply to

Donna,

Love that lighitng idea, it would work in my kitchen, thanks for the idea. I painted my kitchen a soft yellow too and I love it. When the sun comes in the wondows it is even more pretty. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint does for a room!

• 01-07-2010 8:05 AM In reply to

We had a strand of white of there (clean often, they get dirty up there).  We now have 2 mini lamps that take night light bulbs.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 01-07-2010 10:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Are you doing any other rooms?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-07-2010 11:11 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-23-2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Hi Donna,

I did something like that as well and it really looks nice.  The problem I had was remembering to turn the lights on so DH put them on a timer so they now come on at 5:00 p.m. and go off at 11:00 each night.  He only paid a few dollars for it at WM.

• 01-07-2010 9:58 PM In reply to

Thats a great idea Lee, I might just put a timer on my lights, also.

Brandy, you asked if I was doing other rooms,I am mostly doing the kitchen and living room right now, but it will be taking me a lot longer  than I thought because of painting the ceilings.

It sure would be easier to paint if you didn't have to shift everything back and forth, I think I would like to search the thrift stores for some new pictures. i recieved some new sconces for Christmas, and I am going to put them beside the cuckoo clock

I am thinking of painting the back wall in the living room a shade of burgandy.I have burgandy crinkle type sheers, and I got some pretty curtains at Goodwill that are shades of burgandy, green and beige.

Later,in the kitchen I want to attempt  to refinish my cabinets. If they sand down good, I will restain them, if not, I will probably paint them. But if I start all that, it might make the countertops look worse than they are already, lol

Donna

• 01-07-2010 10:01 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

donna england:
    I am thinking of painting the back wall in the living room a shade of burgandy

I love that shade. 

I hope you enjoy the kitchen and all the rest.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us