Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

FRUGAL FATIGUE - Yeah, I get that!

Last post Tue, Jan 18 2011 1:28 PM by Linda Cecil. 113 replies.
Page 1 of 12 (114 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 29 2009 5:26 PM

FRUGAL FATIGUE - Yeah, I get that!

Okay, so yesterday morning I drove my DD to daycare and I listen to NPR in my car - a lady was talking about this year's spending and how sales were, blah blah blah... I was barely listening and BAM, she said "Frugal Fatique" and my ears popped up!  Yep, that is what I got, I knew there was a word for it.

Now, her definition and my definition might be a bit different.  (I told you I only heard those two words). 

My definition is when you come to a point and being frugal just sucks and you go and just buy what you want, when you want.  '

It seems to reoccur quite a bit and that is what sets me back!  Frugal Fatique!

Yep, I get that!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 5:54 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: FRUGAL FATIGUE - Yeah, I get that!

dmc_2008:
    It seems to reoccur quite a bit and that is what sets me back!  Frugal Fatique!

I think this is likely occurs more for those who feel forced into frugality and don't like it at all. 

Frugality feels more like a choice I have made rather than a burden I hope to shed one day. I think this makes it easier.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:22 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Brandy:
     I think this is likely occurs more for those who feel forced into frugality and don't like it at all. 
    Sometimes it takes awhile to see the benefits of being frugal and it doesn't lend itself "instant gratification" that shopping gives. It helps to have a visual goal that you can track progress and an occasional reward for progress.
    Brandy:
    Frugality feels more like a choice I have made rather than a burden I hope to shed one day. I think this makes it easier.
    It is a lifestyle choice. There is a large learning curve to it if you're not open to various options and methods. There are so many aspects to explore. My journey has been far from boring.
    Brandy:
    dmc_2008:
    It seems to reoccur quite a bit and that is what sets me back!  Frugal Fatigue!

The concept of "frugal fatigue" makes sense because up until recently, spending money was a mindless activity. Paying attention to your spending habits is time consuming and exhausting and its not always fun. DMC - Have you been able to identify what the triggers are that start you spending again? This emotional connection to money is a fascinating topic to explore.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:29 PM In reply to

Brandy,

I agree with you.

In my case I forced into it because I was not living as I should have been.

We had it all.We had the world by the tail.And then the house of cards fell in.

If we had been living frugally and in obedience with what God wanted for us with the money He provided I don't believe we would be in the spot we are in now.

But now being frugal is like taking a breath.It is not just a part of life it is our life.

We have been blessed to have our eyes opened to what is really important in this life.

As the song says...you'll never see a U-haul being pulled by a hearse.

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:19 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    There is a large learning curve to it if you're not open to various options and methods.

Even if one is open, it's a lot of work learning and experimenting to see what works.

Boring it definitely is not. I find it fun to research and experiment but there are days where I'd really just like to run out and buy this thing or that.

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:33 PM In reply to

HI ALL,

Glad to see I am not completely alone with this struggle, but I guess (so far) I am alone in being the only one that finds it REALLY tedious to say the least at times.  I find it satisfying as well and the times seem to be getting more frequent when I feel satisfied rather than bored.  But bored I am and tedious it feels at times, that is just me being 110% honest.

Anyway, right now I have a chicken carcuss on the stove, didn't spend too much today (what I did spend will be reimbursed) and I watch my funds like a hawk.  I feel satisfied that I am paying attention more then ever.  But do I get really tired of it, fatigued, ABSOLUTLY!  It's very hard work, planning and monitoring and researching.

We people that are paying this much attention deserve a metal of honor!  ;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:56 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

dmc_2008:
    but I guess (so far) I am alone in being the only one that finds it REALLY tedious to say the least at times. 

I was frugal as a kid.

When I was old enough to have a real grasp of money,I would check prices on gifts and set limits for making my wish lists so I wasn't asking for too much. Mom wanted to take me shopping and get me trendy name brand stuff when I was a teen and I would insist she take me to discount stores and I'd hit the clearance racks. 

Then when it came to my money, geez. I would make a list of things I'd want to buy before working in the summer and then ultimately put most of it in the bank because I couldn't stand the idea of spending it, lol.

Now a good bargain that allows me to have something and keep some money is great. I get excited at being able to find treasures that let me have my cake and eat it too.

This is the attitude I took into adulthood and marriage. I learned it from my grandparents and I hope to inspire my children.

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:08 PM In reply to

it takes a mentel and it can take a toll on a person been there not tottally burnt out yet almost there burnt out but still hang in there...

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:09 PM In reply to

I have it. I have friends that make a lot more money than we do and are able to replace old items around the house, eat out once in a while at least, go to a salon to get their hair cut and colored, and drive cars that don't rattle....all things that I would love to do. So while I am okay getting up every day and making clothes last longer by repairing them, and coloring my own hair and making do....sometimes I just wish I did NOT have to think about every penny and could feel care free sometimes. I do acknowledge that we used to be in a much better place financially but we did NOT have good stewardship over our money and it kind of slipped away from us, so I do not blame anyone except me for the position we are in. But I still get tired of all the scrimping. sometimes. : )
  • Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:29 PM In reply to

Brandy, that is so awesome.  I wish I were more like you, but I think I am more like Pamelaw!  But... good news, I think my daughter will be more like you.  She always say's... MOM>>>do you need that... put that down.  Accept in the grocery store, then all bets are off!  LOL

Pam, I can relate, I live in an affluent area, and its hard to admit that I am worried about the cost of TP and toothpaste when my neighbors can just go grab a tube.  Worse yet, is when I see it getting close to the end, I start to think about having to buy more.  What is that?  Its toothpaste, not a gold chain! 

It's weird.  I think the more you put into it and the more stressed you are about money, the more fatique you will feel. 

I guess the idea is ultimately to get out of the hole so we don't have to stress and get fatiqued.  ??

Page 1 of 12 (114 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us