Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When do hot flashes start?

Last post Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:29 PM by LarkSF. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:23 PM

When do hot flashes start?

I will be 42 next month. The past several months I joked about an occasional warmness as a hot flash, but lately I'm questioning it. Usually I am always cold as i have low blood pressure and my circulation seems to skip my hands and feet lol! Unless I'm moving, then I am warm.

Today an overwhelming heat came over me and I began to sweat. I went and stood outside until it passed. I pondered whether the increase in temperature was due to something else or if it really IS the beginning of hot flashes?! I am perplexed. My cycles are still normal. I thought when I started skipping, then the menopause symptoms would start. What's up with me? I haven't had my tsh or female hormones checked in 2 yrs since we lost our health insurance. I really don't want to pay to do it now.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:39 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: When do hot flashes start?

It could be the beginning. Its hard to know since everyone is different. This may be an odd question but have you added or increased niacin in your diet? Niacin can cause the same sensation as hot flash usually about an hour after taken. It doesn't come and go like menopause flashes. Just something to think about.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:22 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Google perimenopause. Lots of informaton about what happens inthe years before the real thing. all I can say is that it was nice when it was over. I had a couple of years that my teenage  boys made me crazy. It was me more than them but it was a rough time in life. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 5:53 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

You are at the age when you will probably start seeing some changes.  Whether you do or don't get hot flashes depends on the individual. From what I understand diet can also play a big part in controlling hot flashes.  Do some searches on the internet and read as much as you can about your age group and what you can expect to happen in the future. 

At age 59 now I managed to go thru the change without any hot flash problems, but my sisters had all kinds of problems.  I tried taking hormones twice and they only seemed to cause problems that weren't there to begin with, so I would advise anyone to be very, very cautious about taking hormones, or avoid them altogether.  The research that has been done about hormone replacement therapy just doesn't make them sound like a good thing to take.There are natural supplements available that can be of a big help to make you feel better - you can do a search on the subject too. 

I wish you luck and hope you can find the answers you are looking for.  

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:38 PM In reply to

Thank you ladies! I was just thinking I am too young yet for these changes to start happening.

I need to look up Niacin and what foods it is in. I have not looked at diet and how it relates to these occurrances.

• Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:57 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

you never know what age you can start..depends on family history too.   I was looking at the herbal menopause pills and my mom said forget it because she didn't start until 55. ugh frankly I rather go though it now at 44.  I was have hot spells and moody so though maybe. but more sickness and meds.    as my mom said today again..remember her mom had her last baby at 45/46.   I have told her that I am stopping b/c in the summer when it runs out because I am tired of it.  dh has to get that big V or he will be a lonely boy!

there is lots of reasons for flashes.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:23 PM In reply to

martha, lots of reasons?

I was thinking maybe my thyroid is off balance. I haven't taken thyroid meds for a year now, because of the lab expense. I never felt any different, and it was supposed to be a low dose anyway.

• Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:04 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Michelle, if you were supposed to be taking thyroid medicine and aren't, you could be having problems from that. Thyroid regulates many things in the body; heart rhythm, muscle function, organ function, metabolism, being to be able think clearly,  hot or cold, sweating, menstrual, sleeping, depression, skin, hair, etc. If you are too low in thyroid hormone, you can have the above problems; too high and you act like a crazy person on fast forward, complete with sweating, heart palpitations, crying easily at nothing, talking fast, running around like you are doing a marathon, and then you crash from exhaustion. It's something to think about.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:17 PM In reply to

cinnamon huskies hello I looked up in a medical dictioary it said you are going threw premenapauseal simptoms and its before menopause thing go to the dr. if you can go I mean my sister cheap chic is going all threw all that right now and she is full blown menopause she is 46 and she is not having fun at it one min. she is fine then all of a sudden drenched in sweat she is so hot at times that she can live out side because of the hot flash...

chrissanne
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:42 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

everyone is different and has different experiences.  my friend has hot flashes but just sweats a bit.

I get hot flashes when sick or certain meds.  it depends on what other symptoms you have.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us