Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

COworker secret santa ideas?

Last post Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:04 AM by gayla50. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:43 AM

COworker secret santa ideas?

I drew the name of a co-worker whom I don't know well, for this year's secret santa exchange. limit is $20. I'd rather not do the "here's a $20 GC" and initially thought of putting together a basket of treats such as wine, homemade baked goods, jam, crackers, cheese. Not sure.

Any suggestions? I only have a few days to put this together.

• Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:56 AM In reply to

Re: COworker secret santa ideas?

Oh my...the basket sounds wonderful :) and I myself think its a great idea, it is thoughtful - and semi personal at the same time!!

Great idea :)

Deb az in Indiana

• Sun, Dec 6 2009 10:15 AM In reply to

Do you know if the co-worker drinks wine? If so, yes! If not, maybe a bottle of sparkling fruit juice instead. Otherwise, it all sounds lovely!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, Dec 6 2009 10:53 AM In reply to

How about combine the two you could do gc and a basket.  Maybe a basket with free movie rentals, popcorn, a 2 lt bottle of soda, and a pizza gift certificate.

• Sun, Dec 6 2009 8:21 PM In reply to

• cmouse01
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 24 2008
    • Wisconsin
    • Posts 227

We're doing our secret santa across 5 days.  I picked themes for each day.  Here were some of the ideas I had... I probably won't use all these ideas and I'm trying to make as much of these as I can to save some money (indicated by *).

1. Treat day:  a Chinese take-out box (already had) with truffles, other good chocolates and candy canes.  I will also put a few mini ornaments on a tree she has at work.  I was going to give some crocheted snowflakes*, but I haven't starched them yet.
    2. Gardening day: seeds, tools, small plant / terrarium
    3. Kitchen day: nylon scrubbies*, kitchen "angel" (made with towel, hot pad, dishcloth)*, magnets (either tile or half marbles)*, soup mix*, vanilla*, oven mitt, Christmas-themed cookie cutter with cookie mix*, dishtowels with crocheted tops*
    4. Coffee day (I know she likes): Snowman coffee mug, specialty coffees (found at Target in $1 section), biscotti*, cocoa mix and snowman "poop"* (marshmallows and poem)
    5. Home: wine bottle with lights*, candles, doilies*, tile coasters*, thank you cards*

I decided against bath ideas: homemade soap (from craft show), bath puff, candles, bath salts / foaming bath.  Other ideas might be "green" grocery bags, fingerless gloves or cowls - all seem to be big this year.

Our secret santa had a minimum of $10 this year.  $10 across 5 days isn't too bad though, and by making a lot myself I am able to give a lot more (most of the rest came from the dollar store).  It was odd though, that they didn't set a limit. Also, when we signed up, we were asked to fill out a questionnaire which would help with the problem you're having:

• Favorite color
    • Kitchen/bath color
    • Favorite TV show
    • Favorite candy
    • Favorite flowers
    • Favorite restaurant
    • Favorite authors
    • Favorite scents
    • Favorite snack food
    • Favorite soft drink
    • Favorite sports team
    • Favorite shopping store
    • Favorite music artists
    • Favorite types of movies (DVDs)
    • Collectible items
    • Hobbies / special interests
    • Any allergies
    • Anything you dislike

It didn't hlep one person I talked to that said the questionnaire he received had "everything" and "nothing" written for answers, but I know the sheet I received helped me.

• Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:41 PM In reply to

cmouse01:
    Our secret santa had a minimum of $10 this year.

I've always had maximum spend, but never a minimum to spend on work-related holiday stuff. 

• Tue, Nov 8 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

• mary2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Posts 56

Gifts for women are pretty easy -- bath items, gift cards, restaurant cards....

What about gifts for the male coworker? Any ideas?

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:48 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

what about a movie basket?  a dvd, popcorn,drinks and candy.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

mary2:
    Gifts for women are pretty easy

I have always found gifts for women to be easier than men.

Some ideas for men:

Coffee set- flavored or premium pack of coffee, mug and a book

Food baskets- cheese or other treats

I find men that enjoy certain time periods, games or fantasy are easier to buy for. T-shirts, games, books on the topic whether they are fiction or non fiction interest, statues like dragons or time period looking pieces are easy to find.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:04 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I think that a gift card for something that would work well

is there someone at the office that might being closer to this person and

could  give you  a hint .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us