Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Coffee Grounds Is there anything you can do with them?

Last post 10-04-2013 9:49 PM by zohnerfarms. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (43 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2009 1:33 AM

Coffee Grounds Is there anything you can do with them?

I make one pot of coffee a day and when i go to throw the grounds away i was wondering if there was something they could be used for?  In the garden, but they still have that coffee smell and who knows what has been added to it. Anyone have any idea or do anything with theirs.

Charly

Filed under: , , ,
  • 12-05-2009 5:57 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Re: Coffee Grounds Is there anything you can do with them?

21 ways to use old coffee grounds:

http://www.greendaily.com/2007/12/28/21-ways-to-use-old-coffee-grounds/

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 12-06-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Coffee grounds can be used in a lot of ways. They make good compost, but they can also be used to scrub things and to deodorize things and rooms. You can dry and burn them - there's even a company that makes firelogs from them.

I wrote an article about using them here: Used Coffee Grounds but I'm always interested in any additional uses.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-07-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

• teganz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2009
    • Posts 3

Interesting conversation. Have always wondered what I can do with my old coffee grounds. Love it!
  • 12-07-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

Who ever would have known there is that much you could do.  I know someone that works at starbucks and I did know that their company recycled their grounds but didnt know how ( i bet it is to use for fire logs). very interesting. i bet it might work for slugs also in the garden be worth the chance to try especially in my hostas. I hate slugs and they love Hostas. I dont know if I would but them in closets or car it seems like they would make everything smell like coffee. lol. oh well still lots of uses. Thank you so much for all the help.

Charly

• 12-11-2009 9:25 PM In reply to

I throw coffee grounds in the compost pile and flower bed then after it dries out then it dug inward and outward by the shovel to get mised in its great for the soil and the plants... also great for some brave3 sou to use it for a scrub for them selves that I never did but use a fine salt instead but the grounds get the dead skin off..

• 01-30-2010 10:06 AM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

I color my hair with henna and to deepen the look, so that it's more auburn than red, I mix the henna with a strong coffee solution as the liquid portion. I bet, the grounds could be used one more time to extract enough color for those of us who use natural colorants to dye our hair.  

• 07-21-2010 4:58 AM In reply to

Since coffee is somewhat acidic, I suspect that coffee grounds would make a good mulch around any acid-loving plants, & would be a lot cheaper than those special fertilizers for acid-loving plants.

• 02-28-2011 1:37 AM In reply to

zohnerfarms:
    Since coffee is somewhat acidic, I suspect that coffee grounds would make a good mulch around any acid-loving plants, & would be a lot cheaper than those special fertilizers for acid-loving plants.

I have since learned by googling on the web that coffee grounds are a 2-3-6 fertilizer, and that they are quite good for general use around the garden as a light fertilizer.  Not bad for lawns, either.  Obviously, one wouldn't want to pile them up several inches deep around a plant, since that would be quite a lot of fertilizer at once, but sprinkled around the plants, they are supposed to be good for most of them.  They are also reportedly excellent at stopping slugs - - they won't cross the dry coffee grounds, so if that is an issue in your garden, dry some of them out before you sprinkle them around.

• 03-01-2011 5:10 PM In reply to

I save all mine, when they are dry i use them to mulch my houseplants, the rest are sprinkled onto the lawn, and garden.  I live on an old old flood plain, so there is a lot of gravel under a shallow layer of top soil, with frequent waterings the topsoil slowly sinks into the gravel bed.  I work to replinish it and to make it healthier, coffee grounds are just one of my additions that I use yearly.  It keeps them out of the landfill and adds to the fertility of my soil.  As they say  a "win-win" situation.

Page 1 of 5 (43 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us