Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Are You Making and Using More Homemade Mixes ?

Last post Sat, Sep 10 2011 10:12 PM by MarthaMFI. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 29 2009 9:04 AM

Are You Making and Using More Homemade Mixes ?

Are you finding that for different reasons like the lack  of preservatives and because you can control the ingredients you are making and using homemade mixes instread of using prepared mixes and processed foods ?

Where do you find the recipes for the things you are making instead of the commercially available mixes ?

Do you find that using your own mixes is easier on your budget ?

What do you use for storing your homemade mixes ?

When did you start doing this practice ?

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 9:13 AM In reply to

Re: Are You Making and Using More Homemade Mixes ?

I started out by purchasing a cookbook of mixes with recipes which was published by the Home Economics Department at Georgia Souther University.

About that same time I found a copy of MAKE-A-MIX Cookery at a bookstore in Savannah, Georgia.

Over the years I used and made different recipes including 6 Week Bran Muffin Mix for my family. Mom got excited at the thought of having bran muffins ready to be baked immediately.

I started making my own homemade baking mix when I discovered bugs in a box of Bisquick

Over the years updated versions of MAKE-A-MIX have appeared in bookstores. There are other books containing recipes for homemade mixes available.

Today you can find recipes for mixes in books as well as on various websites.

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 9:16 AM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman:

Are you finding that for different reasons like the lack  of preservatives and because you can control the ingredients you are making and using homemade mixes instread of using prepared mixes and processed foods ?

I make several home version convenience foods. I can control the ingredients, reduce the sodium (a big factor for me) and thus reap substantial savings. Bread crumbs, croutons, salad dressings, stuffing cubes, no salt seasoning, taco seasoning, onion soup mix, chilli seasoning, etc

Where do you find the recipes for the things you are making instead of the commercially available mixes ?

Internet, Tightwad Gazette and an old cookbook from the '70's about making homemade convenience foods.

Do you find that using your own mixes is easier on your budget ?yes

What do you use for storing your homemade mixes ?Glass jars (recycled) with screw on tops/ Mason jars (I also add a doubled over square of waxed paper between the lid and the edge of the jar to ensure a tight seal.

When did you start doing this practice ?Many years ago

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 10:32 AM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

The one mix that I try to keep on hand is this Sweet Quick Bread Mix. It's an excellent base for muffins and desserts such as cranberry bread or pumpkin bread. I often package it up into zipped plastic bags to give as a gift. I own a copy of Make-a-Mix and More Make-a-Mix, but haven't used them much since the kids grew up and left home.

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:19 AM In reply to

I don't tend to use homemade mixes because I don't think they actually save that much time compared with cooking from scratch.  I found a recipe on another site for a brownie mix, and I noticed that you have to add several other ingredients to the mix to use it, so it just doesn't seem like it would be much quicker than making brownies from scratch.

Sometimes mixes don't taste as good, either.  For instance, I have a cup of cocoa for breakfast every morning (it's good for you, really!) and it only takes me a couple of minutes to mix the sugar, cocoa, and salt in a mug, stir in a little boiling water to make a paste, add milk, and heat it in the microwave.  I tried making a mix with dry milk for camping, and it just wasn't very good.  Hot water and dry milk don't work well together.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Sun, Nov 29 2009 12:09 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I do use homemade mixes, sauces and gravies when I can.

I found recipes in old cookbooks and online.

I find that some are cheaper to make myself. At times I find a packaged item on sale is cheaper then I may buy it to save money and use when I need it for convenience.

I use glass jars and plastic containers for my mixes.

I began cooking from scratch seriously and making my own mixes for it several years ago.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 12:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

haverwench:
    it only takes me a couple of minutes to mix the sugar, cocoa, and salt in a mug, stir in a little boiling water to make a paste, add milk, and heat it in the microwave

This is one of the mixes I do keep on hand rather than try to make it whenever one of us wants a cup.

I also have baking mix as a regular.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 2:21 PM In reply to

Brandy,

I'm starting to replace mixes that were purchased to homemade because of the salt/sodium content.

The mixes I make & like are quick bread mix, baking mix, and brownie mix.

Since I adore the King Arthur Flour Muffin & Quick Bread Mixes that cost nearly $7.00 for one mix, making my own mix was so much easier on my budget. I like the taste of the "good stuff", but I don't like the prices.Wink

FYI: The pound of ground fancy flavored coffee from The Fresh Market is way cheaper than the fancy hot chocolate mix from Williams-Sonoma.

I've gotten so I juggle whether the taste is worth the higher price. The taste & quality of the frozen foods at my local gourmet shop are not as cheap as a Stouffer's on sale, but they taste better than what is available at the expensive restaurants plus they cost way less than eating out at those restaurants. There is no savings if I buy something and then I won't eat it.Wink By careful planning and shopping, I am able to stay out of the tourist trap higher priced restaurants.

The added fringe benefit is that  I am not as likely to be mugged going to or from my car during the holiday shopping season.

• Sun, Nov 29 2009 10:00 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

haverwench:
    I don't tend to use homemade mixes because I don't think they actually save that much time compared with cooking from scratch. 

I very seldom use mixes of any kind, either. I find that the room they take and the time it takes to mix them up just isn't worth it. I cook mostly from scratch, so it's not a problem to add baking powder to flour when I'm ready to bake (for instance) instead of beforehand. I only need to keep on hand a few basic items that way.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Nov 30 2009 8:40 AM In reply to

There are also many online recipe sites where recipes can be printed out for free.

Jill

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us