Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

quality food processors

Last post 12-21-2009 12:19 AM by Jjaku807. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2009 1:49 PM

quality food processors

Can anyone recommend a quality food processor?  Mine died after only a couple of years of moderate use, and I need to replace it without spending a fortune.  I'm not afraid to spend the money on a good one if I know it will last a long time.  I'm also willing to buy used ones if I can find one.  Someone on DS also mentioned a model with a 'berry seeder' for making jam, that would be a wonderful option to have.  Can anyone recommend brands/models that they have had good luck with and are available in Canada?  Also any brands to avoid?  Mine was a Black & Decker basic model.  I have had nothing but bad luck with Black & Decker and would not recommend them.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

kay in canada

• 11-19-2009 2:04 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: quality food processors

I like my Kitchenaid.

The first food processor I had was a Black and Decker bought about 25 years ago, I hated it and didn't buy another food processor until this year. The poor function of the Black and Decker turned me off to using a food processor.  I would have liked to buy a Cuisinart but that was too expensive for me. The Kitchenaid is much much better than the Black and Decker I had then; the Kitchenaid also looked much better compared to a new Black and Decker sitting next to it at the store. Generally I don't like any Black and Decker kitchen tools; they are severly underpowered and cheaply made.  Their work tools, like drills for instance,  are okay. 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 11-19-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I got an Osterizer for Christmas about 25 years ago. It's the kind with a food processor, blender, mixer, etc., all in one. I used it for many years, then put it away a couple of years ago. I got it out and gave it to my daughter a month or so ago and she's using it right now. I've never had a bit of trouble with it so if I were in the market for that sort of thing, I'd probably get another one.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 11-19-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

If you have a large family or cook large batches of food, then you might want to look into a Cuisinart.  I know they are pricey, but they are very well made and last!  I have one that was a gift for Mother's day a few years back.  It was almost $200, but honestly I think it's worth every penny.  Super easy to operate and clean.  Comes with a chopper, shredder and dough hook.  Lots of power and works well!  Mine has a super big capacity, I think the bowl holds either 11 or 14 cups, so like I said if you batch cook or have a large family this comes in SO handy!  They make smaller models that cost less, but for my money they are the way to go.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • 11-19-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

Both KitchenAid and Cuisinart are good brands. This time of year you can find good sales on them at places like the CHEFS Catalog, Sur La table, or Williams-Sonoma. Le Gourmet Chef has good sales also.The shipping & handling is free because of the cost. They deliver by Fed Ex or UPS.

Hecht's used to have good sales. I haven't watched the sales that Macy's has.

• 11-19-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

I have a 12 cup Kitchenaid food processor that I love. I bought it for $144 on amazon.com after my 1970-80ish thrift-store-bought KitchenAid f.p. broke some plastic pieces that were irreplaceable.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 11-22-2009 8:07 PM In reply to

So far, the el-cheapo Hamilton Beach from WM is doing fine.  I've had Sunbeam and Oster with the attachments, and they lasted an average of two years each if I used the meat grinders. I no longer grind my own meat or make my own bread and El Cheapo is handling my huge runs of chow-chow, salsas, and coleslaw for multitudes easily. It was $40 and I split the cost with someone else who also does her own canning and uses it. This one just finished its third summer.

• 11-25-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-12-2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I have a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth food processor that I got from Harris Poll Online.  I have had it for over a year now and have had no problems with it at all.  The last one I had was by Black and Decker and lasted one month past the one year warranty.

• 11-28-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• CAJudi
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-26-2009
    • California
    • Posts 91

20 years ago I had a food processor that only lasted a couple years. I don't know what kind it was, but I decided I would try to do without. Well, I cook so much now that I finally figured it was worth the investment to pick up a new one. I chose a Cuisinart. The comparable parts that broke on my last one are much better made with this new one. I've only had it a week now, but I love it so far!

• 12-01-2009 8:02 PM In reply to

Hello,

I own a Cuisinart. My mother in law gave it to me years ago and I thought that I'd never use it...I was wrong. It is a lifesaver for certain recipes, such as making salsa to can.

Anyway, it is very powerful, easy to use, dishwasher safe and lasts a long time! I noticed that Costco has a nice one that is rather affordable right now. They carry things like this at Christmas time, so if you can, snatch it up! Smile

I highly recommend spending the extra money on some things and this would be one of them, but I love to cook and like quality when it comes to my cooking tools. If something doesn't work well or is frustrating to use, you have wasted money, because you won't use it.

Good luck, Nancy

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us