Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

how to whiten lingerie fabric?

Last post Sun, Nov 29 2009 1:08 AM by 2ndGenGranola. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:03 PM

how to whiten lingerie fabric?

i have some bras that are in good condition, but dingy.  what can i use to make them white again without damaging the fabric?

• Sat, Nov 14 2009 9:19 PM In reply to

Re: how to whiten lingerie fabric?

"Pretty" whites actually have blue dye added to them.  After a few washing the blue washes out and they start looking dingy or even yellow.  You can pick up a bottle of bluing in the laundry area.  You just add a couple drops to the rinse water.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sat, Nov 14 2009 10:09 PM In reply to

I think it is in a white bottle for mrs.  someone has to fog my memorrie there but that should do the trick then if that don't you have to use woolite from now on for whites only they have one for colors and for darks walk mart has that.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:40 AM In reply to

thanks, ladies!

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:07 PM In reply to

If this doesn't work, Rit color remover might.   It's with the dyes.  I have been told that putting bras in the dryer will turn them yellow, and mine did not yellow back when I line-dried them.

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 11:04 PM In reply to

i found "mrs. stewart's concentrated liquid bluing" at the grocery today, $2.49 for 8 oz.  since you only need a few drops, i think i have a lifetime supply!  my bras have only been line-dried (cause i'm too cheap to use the clothes dryer!), and they're sort of gray-ish.  i figure the $2.49 is a lot cheaper than 25 bucks for a new bra!

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 8:16 PM In reply to

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH??!!! cool yup thats it i found it yesterday forgot to tell and you got it its cheap but it helps im going to make sure i have it and make that stain remover for whites ahh geeez its a pain but it helps.   THanks a bunch i couldn't remember the ladys name on it..lol

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 1:47 PM In reply to

• CarolX
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 4 2009
    • Posts 3

Another trick you can try is to wash them with a cup of amonia in the wash water, and no detergent.  Laundry detergents leaves behind a reside that dull clothes and breaks down the fibers.  Amonia is good for removing body/underarm stains on white and light colored clothing.  Sometimes takes a few washes, but if you use it on a regular basis, it will prevent the yellowing.

• Sat, Nov 28 2009 9:17 AM In reply to

I love White Bright.  It smells a bit funky (like sulphur maybe?) but it does an amazing job of  whitening clothes.  I found it at my Meijer store and Walmart near the Oxy Clean in the detergent aisle. If your store doesn't carry it, talk to the store manager and they can order it for you.

Susan in MI 

• Sat, Nov 28 2009 9:40 PM In reply to

re: bluing results.  okay, i figure i owe everyone an update.  didn't think much of the effect with a cold water rinse/soak, line dry.  marginally better with warm water.  maybe they need a few repeats?

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us