Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Favorite Frugal Cleaners

Last post Mon, Nov 23 2009 12:55 AM by dmc_2008. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:39 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Favorite Frugal Cleaners

I know we have discussed this many times but new folks here deserve the chance to share in a new discussion!

What are your favorite frugal cleaners?

Do you do anything different to prepare your home for the holidays such as deep cleaning or changing scents on your cleaners?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:18 PM In reply to

Re: Favorite Frugal Cleaners

I try an do a deep cleaning and we also like to use the holiday scented candles like the peppermint,ginger and apple cinnamon. I am personally stuck on Mr. Clean Magic Erasers I know kinda pricy but they do clean very well. As far as frugal I use vinegar and water and the newspapers to clean my windows,glass doors and mirrors.

• Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:24 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

good old vinegar and water!   I do use things like comet and mr clean but more for the bathroom.   but my water and vinegar spray bottle goes far!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:34 PM In reply to

vinager, water and anmonia-thats my glass cleaner

baking soda and salt-scrubing the bathtub sink and the comode with it..

vinager dish soap-mops my floors

salt bakingsoda and vinager-put down the drain it helps with the mild clogs in sinks draino thing from walkgreens about 1.99 is better to use its a gel and water goes in it helps with the worst ones if that fails put a snake down it and if all fail stand at the phone crying and calling a plumer or get the hubby from work to get home and help with the clog.

witch hazel-can be used as hair spray or stains like ink or alohial

and last vinager is great for fabricsoftiner and cleaning of the wash maching

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My favorites are vinegar and baking soda for really frugal and non toxic routine cleaning and for deep cleaning I like a mint oil produced locally or bleach, both mixed with water.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:07 AM In reply to

I prefer a mixture of water, vinegar, and a bit of dishsoap for the bulk of my cleaning.  I've found gets the job done for most everything.

I use a Magic Eraser on my bathtub; it drains so slowly that grime builds up quickly.  I have cleared the drain and we use a hair catcher thingy, but it's still pretty slow.  This lets me clean it up in 5 minutes instead of 30 or more.

I've started using Lysol spray or wipes once a week on doorknobs and light switches and such.

I'm really sensitive to odors, but I keep a "clean cotton" candle in the bathroom to burn every so often and certainly when guests come.  I use a pumpkin candle usually through October and November in the kitchen.  And I'm really in a new-to-me scent called Farmhouse Apple and I have a couple of those tealights in the living room.  Nothing beats the scents of homemade bread or cookies or pie in the oven though!  Mmmmm.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:13 PM In reply to

I use baking soda for scrubbing, vinegar/water mixture for general cleaning and disinfecting.

My granite counters in the kitchen get marked by vinegar (it can eat through the finish) so I use Costco's brand of environmentally friendly spray cleaner.  It's a huge jug, a concentrate, that you mix with water in a spray bottle.  Good for anything and that jug goes a LONG way.  It has a nice citrus scent to it.  I have started using it for other things too, I keep that spray bottle next to my vinegar one.

I do admit to keeping some clorox wipes in each bathroom.  They are great for a quick wipedown between cleanings or if unexpected company is coming.

I also use Nature's Miracle for carpet mishaps that are inevitable with the pets and kids.

That's pretty much it!  I do love scented candles and of course the natural scents of fresh baked goodies and home cooking.  I don't like too much that is heavily scented like plug in scents or lamp scents or even potpourri can be too strong.  One nice candle does me just fine!

On Oprah the other day, Kirstie Alley said that her first job was as a housekeeper and she is really particular about cleaning.  She said that the best bathroom cleaner is vodka!  She said buy the largest, cheapest jug of it you can find at a discount store and then it dissolves the grime around faucets and taps and such and gives a beatiful shine to fixtures as well as disinfecting.  I may just have to give that a try.  She said that whenever she flies, she takes one of the little bottles of vodka the plane has into the bathroom with her and disinfects the bathroom before she uses it.  Would never have thought it but it makes sense, that stuff is pretty strong and cheap vodka is harsh plus it's pure alcohol but doesn't evaporate the way rubbing alcohol does.  Very interesting!

She also said that spray wood polish leaves a buildup on furniture and that wax is the only way to go.  I admit to using a bit of pledge now and then!!

• Wed, Nov 11 2009 9:59 PM In reply to

orange oil for the wood furniture and lemon oil with water for the walls and wood floors vinager baking soda and salt the baking soda and the salt helps unglug drains mild only the heavey duty ones the snake,amonia vinager and water mirror cleaner for my favorite vinager for clothes softner in the wash and for floors..

chrissanne
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:24 PM In reply to

Well as someone else said, my favorite cleaner is the magic eraser. It got baked on stuff off my microwave turntable that I couldnt get off even after soaking and scraping with a metal spatula! absolutely love it. it isn't 'frugal' but to make it cheaper to use, I only use it when another cleaning product fails, usually just on the microwave turntable, and on the occasional door that I cant get the dark fingerprint off with something else.

Frugal would have to be baking soda. I keep it under the sink in a shaker jar, the kind used for those hot pepper flakes, and sprinkle it in the sink before scrubbing, instead of a powder cleaner.

For the holidays, if we are expecting company I will simmer some water on the stove, and instead of the pricy cinnamon sticks, I just sprinkle a little cinnamon in there, and a couple of cloves. Still smells great in no time.

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:44 AM In reply to

I S-T-R-E-T-C-H most of my liquid cleansers by adding up to 50 percent water. I do the same with anti-bacterial foam soap pumps, which I love. They seem to do the same job and last longer. Like Grandma always said "Water is cheap!" It all goes down the drain anyway.

I stretch my laundry detergent by cutting it with baking soda, again about 50/50. And I use about a tablespoon per load. I also cut fabric softener sheets in half. Sometimes I spray liquid fabric softener on a load of wet clothes before they are dried. I like pulling things out semi dry and line drying, especially in summer when they get that wonderful line-dried smell. 

An effective and inexpensive cleanser to remove shower scum is baking soda and Dawn dish liquid. Add enough Dawn to create a paste. Then scrub hard and off comes that yucky brownish stuff that loves to stick to the floor of the shower or the tub.

A frugal drain clog remover is baking soda (pour 1/2 cup or so down clogged drain) and vinegar. Let it foam and repeat if needed.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us