Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Halloween Menu

Last post Mon, Oct 17 2011 3:11 PM by spiderdust. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:17 PM

Halloween Menu

Is anyone else doing something fun and cute for lunch or dinner on Halloween?

My DD likes gross-sounding stuff, so here's my menu for her:

• Mummy Dogs -- hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls except I'll cut the dough to make strips so it looks more like mummy bandaging.
    • Deviled Eggs -- self-explanatory
    • Fried Frogs Fingers -- fried okra
    • Blood Sauce -- ketchup

Each time I would say something, she would whisper: Are we really eating that?  I would smile and whisper back what the food really was and she would say, "That's a good name for it, Mom."

We're eating this for a late lunch since activities begin at 4:00 p.m. and will keep us busy until about 7:00 p.m.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Oct 30 2009 11:23 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Halloween Menu

We are having our traditional hotdogs and baked beans.  quick and easy for the times halloween falls on a weeknight.    the inlaws come over to give out candy.  They live in a condo so don't get to do it there. 

have other friends coming over so I will make some sausage too.   have leftover veggies from work for a veggie plate.   have peach dump cake to eat too.   normally the candy is dessert!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:18 AM In reply to

Nope. I don't plan special menus for Halloween. But then I don't feed small children at my house.

• Sat, Oct 31 2009 10:58 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Since we don't have the ability to roast hot dogs, I am putting some with barbecue in the oven. I am making canned baked beans and maybe potato salad as side dishes. We will also have pumpkin custard, caramel apples and roast pumpkin seeds today.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

bumping for this year!   we will have the traditional hotdogs and beans. more friends coming over for trick n treating so will be a crowd!  candy is dessert but will have some healthy veggie snacks first with dinner.

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:52 AM In reply to

I like to spread the theme out for a little bit.  My kids like beef stew with a mashed potato "ghost".  They also like the Mummy hot dogs.  I've also tried blood soup with dead fish: creamy tomato with a fish shaed crackers floating in it.  They also liks the science folcrum lever and wheel pasta.  This is julieened carrots with ham sticks in a creamy tomato sauce over wagon wheel shaped pasta.

I have a young DD who is more into the dressing up "pretty" like princesses, bumble bees, etc.  She adores butterfly pancakes or waffles.  Take a pancake or waffle and cut it into quarters.  Cut a banana into quarters.  Put the banana on a plate and arrange the quartered waffles around the banana, pointy side touching the banana.  Then smear of peanut butter.  Let the kids decorate the butterfly with assorted fruit.  We've used assorted berries, kiwi, halved grapes, crushed pineapple, what ever you have on hand.

I like the desserts that can be made.  Nutter butter cookies dipped into melted white chocolate to create ghosts, chocolate sandwich cookies that can be made to look like spiders with the addition of licorice legs, witch sundaes: an upside down ice cream cone, use the pointy end cones.  Put a scoop of ice cream in a dish, and little candies for eyes, black licorice hair and an ice cream cone to make the witches hat.  I also like to cut the top of orange and put the orange segments into a bowl mix with vanilla ice cream.  Decorate the orange with whole cloves to look like a pumpkin fill the orange with 1/2 vanilla ice cream and 1/2 the orange flavored ice cream. It's like an orange cream ice cream bar.

I like to have fun and surprise my crew from time to time.

• Sun, Oct 16 2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

those are cute ideas!  I have to get some goldfish crackers and do the blood soup thing!

• Sun, Oct 16 2011 11:59 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have done the dead fish my sister puts them in jello

we do mummy dogs

and we make up blood cupcakes with tombstone   red velvet cupcake and cookie head stones ..

I make a whiches brew it a green pea soup with red blood pimentoes. 

my Sister in law makes the cutest ghost out of mashmellows and licorice

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Oct 17 2011 3:11 PM In reply to

I've made Rachael Ray's "Penne-wise Pumpkin Pasta" and "Green Gobble-ums" garlic bread before for a Halloween dinner. The names were fun, although I think I prefer my own pesto for making green garlic bread.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us