Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to make my own potato flakes?

Last post 04-14-2013 10:24 PM by crj. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2009 5:39 PM

• Janet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2009
    • Posts 8

How to make my own potato flakes?

We're dehydrating this year and I've figured out how to dry and store or powder everything else, why cant I find how to make my own potato flakes? You know, like what you by in a store to make instant mash tatoes with. 

Anyone know how?

• 09-11-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: How to make my own potato flakes?

I dont think you can make them at home.

a home dehydrator doesnt get hot enought to dry the potatoes

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 09-12-2009 12:58 AM In reply to

boil and mash up your potatoes, no milk no butter. if you have a plastic fruit leather tray or partchment paper spread out a very thin layer. when dry break up the sheets in to a blender or food processor and pulse into crumbles. I assume this can be done in an oven also but I haven't any idea at the temp but would guess low and slow with the door open a bit to let the moisture out.

cyn

• 09-12-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

• Janet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2009
    • Posts 8

Thats the routine I imagined, so its nice to hear someone else say it. I will definitely be giving it a go. I think it'll be more effective to use the oven, since I can do a larger batch- the end result is going to be so reduced it probably wont add up to more than a couple cups of finished product.Thanks :)

• 09-25-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

How did that go?   I ask because I was searching to make my own dried instant potatoe powder or flakes and I looked on ehow where I got directions in how to make my own powdered eggs and it didn't have it which surprised me so I went searching on the web and found your post, so thank-you but please let me know if the routine worked to do this.  Thank-you, Janet.  -RJ

• 01-07-2012 9:09 PM In reply to

I am wondering as well because there is nothing on the net about drying potatoes.   Maybe because it's too labor intensive and there are plenty of instant potatoes on the market.  I tried blanching, slicing and dipping potatoes in lemon juice solution.   A LOT OF WORK.  The potatoes still turned black/brown.   Very disappointing because if they turn dark, they are tough.   I would imagine a lot depends on which type of potato you use.  The Idaho potatoes are grainy and almost sandy when cooked.  Maybe a different variety to boil, peel, slice and dehydrate.  When thoroughly dry, run through a food processor to powder.  ONE note to any dehydrating of potatoes or eggs:  Don't cook product in oils or additives, leave your produce as pure as picked, just cleaned or shelled. make sure all utensils, cookware and dehydrator sheets are also VERY CLEAN.    Process and add desired items at reconstitution.
  • 01-07-2012 10:19 PM In reply to

Yeah, it was disappointing.  I tried cooking and mashing them first and then put them on the dehydrater sheets/trays to dry.  At first I tried the convection oven setting "drying".  Boy, was that taking a long time, so I thought it would be faster in the dehydrater, so like you just replied, they did not look good and they stunk, then when I didn't cook them but peeled and rinsed them in water to get the dirt and any leftover skin off and scalloped them set them on the tray, some of them were in there too long and turned black and really hard.   The manufacturer's of the instant mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes have got to have the secret and that's why they have the "corner" on the market, also the manufacturer's of the powdered eggs, I got really close to getting them dry enough just using the drying setting on the convection settings on a multi-purpose oven but it was taking over 10 hours, they did look good but I didn't get all the moisture out and I even seal-a-mealed them and my friend happened to smell the ziploc bags I didn't get a chance to get to and they stank, so had to toss those out and opened the ones I sealed with the machine, they stank, so out they went too.  So yeah, very disheartening, especially since I was doing it for the food ministry I lead. So toss out the "ehow" recipies.   But it is a good thing that these dried goods are coming down in price over the internet and Walmart just started carry a line of these dried goods in #10 tins.  But me personally I wouldn't get them in any cans, freeze dried packages are the best for storing this type of dried goods but since that type is on the spendy side, I did find some in pouch packages that is at least better than aluminum cans and at least the same price as in the can and has a long enough shelf life (even though not as long as the freeze dried because freeze dried is what the armed forces used, I think back in the World Wars and some are still around today, don't know how they filtered out into the public but some of them did, I know because a friend of mine got given them because someone she knew was just going to toss them away.)    Thank-you.

• 01-07-2012 11:47 PM In reply to

dehidrator I do this all the time and put in one of those seal bags and heat towards the end works wonders since Im on the thread never heard of food seal bags until last year love the thing.

chrissanne
  • 01-08-2012 9:37 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

I have successfully dried potatoes.  You can leave the peelings on or off, it really doesn't matter too much for the drying process.  I slice the potatoes in a food processor so that the slices are the same thickness.  Blanch them 3-5 minutes and quickly chill them in iced water for the same amount of time that you blanched them.  Try to dry off the excess water as much as possible.   Then spread evenly on the dehydrator trays.    My Excalibur has heat settings for drying different foods.  Vegetables at 125 degrees for 8-10 hours.

Once dried you could use a blender or some kind of grinder to powder the potatoes down.  I leave mine in slices and use them in casseroles and soups/stews.  I store them in 1/2gal canning jars in my pantry which is cool and dark.  I opt to grind them down if I need a thickening agent for something I'm making.

I've tried the lemon juice method but the potatoes still turned dark.  Blanching is the only way to go.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 01-12-2012 2:40 PM In reply to

Thank-you, Karen K..  now I know what I did wrong, I didn't know to blanch them.   -RJ

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us