Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Slipcover or Reupholster a Wing Chair ?

Last post 09-07-2009 10:55 AM by gabbiecat. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2009 4:33 PM

Slipcover or Reupholster a Wing Chair ?

The wing chair in the living room needs either to be reupholstered or it needs a slipcover. You can see holes in the chair now clear down to the muslin covering. The chair has gotten worse. It was to be recovered in 1995, but the guy never called Mom back (this was the days before Caller ID plus we've never had an answering machine) about when he would pick up the chair. Mom paid for the material, but since then he's had 2 major fires. So.....I do not think he has what Mom paid for all those years ago.

Should I reupholster the chair or should I go for a slipcover ?

The main reason I haven't had friends over is because this house used to be a showplace. Mom let things get really bad the past few years before she went into the nursing home.  The living room looks pitiful now. It'll look okay after I do something to the chair. I can close the doors to the parlor.

I need to go through a lot of stuff that got piled into the parlor before I can use that room again.

Right now the downstairs will look good again if I polish the silver in the dining room. The kitchen and pantry look nice. The downstairs bathroom is nice. The living room will look good if the chair is recovered.

I really do not want to entertain Mom's relatives, but I would like the house to look okay if I have someone come in once in a while. I can't do anything that woud look sleazy because the house is loaded with family antiques.

FYI: I never said that I like antiques, but they are part of my inheritance. When Mom dies, I get the whole nine yards so to speak. Other styles of furniture wouldn't look right in this house, but I'd have to buy all new furniture which I don't want to do.

The lady I called about altering my clothes also does slipcovers and upholstery. She is reasonable plus she does very good work.

I have to be able to have the house look nice if I'm going to be active at the new church. I also have to face the facts that Mom will not last forever. I have to get on with building a new life for myself while I'm still her POA so that I can manage okay after Mom dies.

Unfortunately, my widowed friend doesn't do stuff like sewing, etc.. If she did, I'd get her to help me out.

• 09-04-2009 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: Slipcover or Reupholster a Wing Chair ?

I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread because I have the same question.  We have 2 that need something.  Ours are wings that recline.Geeked

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 09-05-2009 12:26 AM In reply to

surefit makes nice covers.   I bought a recliner one because the recliner was worn and ugly but so comfy.   easy and cheap update.

I know that you can find them on sale too.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 09-07-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

I have two loveseats in my l/r with slip covers, one form hudsons, a store similar to big lots 29 dollars and one form big lots for 39 dollars they are not exactly alike , but the same color. I dressed them up with pillows form a yard sale .25 a piece. I sure couldn't get them recovered for that price, plus I can wash them for time to time. I have 2 cats, one is white and has claws, the other one very old and has claws, so my furniture takes a beating and both shed. My dh recliner is about 20 years old and if I bought a new on I would be in the dog house, so I just took a throw and covered the seat and arms looks ok.

ROLL TIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us