Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Half Rule

Last post Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:31 AM by udwe. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 30 2009 10:39 AM

The Half Rule

A few months ago I began a "Half Rule' for myself.  This has been a test of how well this rule works for me and should I continue doing it?

The thought came to me as I was washing my hair in the shower; that most of us (myself included) aren't really mindful of how much shampoo we use, so I began using half the amount I usually used.  My hair is just as clean.  Then I began using half the amount of toothpase and found my teeth are just as clean. 

Commercials show us using globs of whatever the product is, and subconciously we take these ads for fact and I am sure all of us have been using way too much of most products in our homes as a result of this advertising.

We moved to Florida where water is very expensive here, and I gladly look for ways of using the half rule on this as well...such as not letting the water run while you brush your teeth.

If you pay attention during your day you will find lots of opportunities to use the Half Rule...and it does work.  You save money and in some cases, help create a more green environment as well.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    www.GoldenTrines.com
  • Sun, Aug 30 2009 11:19 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

Re: The Half Rule

I did that with my shampoos and body wash as well. I use the tea tree oil shampoo twice a week so I only use a little as it is expensive ($7). With the body wash, the poof thing makes it so foamy you don't need alot if it is the bubbles you are after. Now if DH would understand the concept. He goes through a bottle of body wash in 2 weeks. Hmm

Lynn

• Sun, Aug 30 2009 12:08 PM In reply to

I just posted about this in another thread, but I cut my face cleansing cloths in half.  After I'm through I use them to clean something, like the vanity, in the bathroom and wipe down with a damp cloth.  Really stretches them out.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Aug 30 2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

From someone who has been an on-again and off-again dieter, the half rule can also apply to meals. If you are used to eating a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, make it with one instead. If you eat a full sized chicken breast for dinner, eat half instead. The same with an apple or pear or any kind of food. If you feel you need to cut down on your groceries, look at the portions you have been eating and think about cutting them down. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Aug 30 2009 1:24 PM In reply to

Such a good topic.

I believe in the half rule. It's like adding another cup of water to the soup.

Soak laundry instead of using more detergent.

Use Bath and Body Works foam pump on sale that outlasts Pampered Chef's pump bottle for much less. Use it for shampoo and body wash and whatever you can think of.

Turn the bottom sheet around, top to bottom and use an extra week before laundering.

Drive half as far. Figure out how to accomplish that.

thyme2save
  • Tue, Sep 1 2009 11:36 PM In reply to

I'm a big fan of the half rule ... I use half as much detergent, and my clothes come out clean.  Cut my dryer sheets in half, too.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Sep 2 2009 11:10 AM In reply to

Big fan of the half-rule, too. We use it for soap, shampoo, toothpaste, face soap, body lotion, etc.

I do it with food. I cut all my portions in half to begin with. If I want more, I can go back and get the other half instead of eating the whole portion at once. We do this with drinks, too. Give 1/2 a glass first.

Same with running errands. Can I find a place to shop/bank/pharmacy closer than where I really want to go?

Reluctant to switch around bed sheets, though. Personal preference and squeemish about putting my head where my possibly dirty feet have been, LOL. But good idea for other things!

Erika
  • Thu, Sep 3 2009 8:45 PM In reply to

Mamasjob, I was thinking the same thing about the sheets.

But I do something that is kind of gross to most people I think.  I reuse my towels, I use two, and I hang them up and use them maybe up to 4 times sometimes before I get fresh.  I know that doesn't sound to clean to some people.... but I just think it makes sense.

I also cut my usage in half, everything gets cut in half!  I also use about 1/3 of  laundry soap and shampoos!  It just works as well!

Love the rule!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:01 AM In reply to

I love the half rule.  We use it on lots of items.  A couple years ago we seemed to use a lot of shampoo and body wash I was looking for a way to get everyone to use less of these products.  I went to home depot and they had these dispenser for your shower area.  I bought 2 of them.  One holds 4 different products and the other holds two.  I had DH help me mount them in the shower and I filled them up with body washes and shampoos (we use 3 different body washs and 3 different kinds of shampoo).  Then I challenged dh and both ds's to see how little of each product they can use to get the job done.  The difference in product use was amazing. We had been using a large bottle of body wash in a about 3 weeks and shampoo wasn't lasting much longer.  Now I only fill the dispensers up about every 6 weeks. 

I also only use about 2 tablespoon of laundry detergent for a load of clothes.  Unless they are something really dirty the get just as clean as they do with a "scoop" of detergent. 

DMC I don't think hanging a towel to dry and using it again is gross.  We also do the same thing.  It never made any sense to me why a towel was dirty if you just took a shower and only dried water off your CLEAN body. Now the switching the sheets around I just can't do.  I have to have clean sheets on my bed every week. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Fri, Sep 4 2009 10:00 AM In reply to

Shiella,

I didn't think it was too gross until I mentioned it to a girl at work and she thought it was gross because she said you are wiping off dead skin, I said.... well, its my dead CLEAN skin!

LOL

Oh well, it saves a bundle in laundry costs and it doesn't bother me.  I do love it when its time to change them though, who does't right?  ;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us