Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Holiday hassles vs. what is worth it

Last post Thu, Dec 1 2011 7:37 PM by MarthaMFI. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:32 PM

Holiday hassles vs. what is worth it

Ok, I want to know what you determine a hassle, and what hassles or not hassles are worth it. So after every idea just write H or NH (hassle/ not hassle) and then yes or no (worth it or not) Or just say N/A if you wouldnt do it, just because you dont like the idea or if you dont know

feel free to add your own or say its both

shopping way before christmas

shopping right before

shopping throughout the year

stuffing stockings

setting out cookies

hand making dinner

buying dinner

eating out on christmas

wrapping gifts (with paper and tape)

putting gifts in gift bags

not wrapping at all

adding those stick on bows

hand making house decorations

buying house decorations

hand decorating plain wrapping paer

these are just a few, feel free to copy and paste

if it wasnt for the kissing tradition, no one would care about mistletoe.

To live is to die slowly, love fully, breathe deeply, laugh uncontrollably, sing loudly, dance wildly, take no one for granted, smile when you want to cry, raise others up and be raised. Never let what you cant do, stop you from doing what you can.
  • Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Holiday hassles vs. what is worth it

shopping way before christmas H/NH Yes

shopping right before H H H/ Yes and No

shopping throughout the year H/yes if youre people dont change what they like a lot

stuffing stockings H/NH depending, Yes

setting out cookiesNH/ if you have young kids its worth it

hand making dinner H/Yes

buying dinnerH/NH  not worth it

eating out on christmas NH/No

wrapping gifts (with paper and tape) H/Yes

putting gifts in gift bagsNH/not really

not wrapping at allNH/No

adding those stick on bows H/No

hand making house decorations H/yes

buying house decorations  NH/ sometimes

hand decorating plain wrapping paper     H/yes

To live is to die slowly, love fully, breathe deeply, laugh uncontrollably, sing loudly, dance wildly, take no one for granted, smile when you want to cry, raise others up and be raised. Never let what you cant do, stop you from doing what you can.
  • Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:38 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

TiffanyJohnson:
    Ok, I want to know what you determine a hassle,

Mine is a blanket "No." I enjoy everything about Christmas. If something feels like a hassle and I don't enjoy it, I don't do it. I quit mailing Christmas cards years ago and that was the only thing I didn't enjoy about it. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:46 PM In reply to

shopping way before christmas NH/yes

shopping right before H/No

shopping throughout the year NH/yes

stuffing stockings NH/yes

setting out cookies NH/yes - this has gotten harder since some of the family have to eat gluten free

hand making dinner NH/yes

buying dinner-No

eating out on christmas-No

wrapping gifts (with paper and tape) NH/yes

putting gifts in gift bags NH/yes

not wrapping at all -No

adding those stick on bows -NH/yes along with some ribbon streamers & sometimes bow shaped like roses

hand making house decorations NH/yes

buying house decorations NH/Yes - usually on clearance after Christmas

hand decorating plain wrapping paer -not since the kids were tiny

• Tue, Aug 18 2009 5:11 PM In reply to

I have seven birthdays between Thanksgiving and mid January, so while I celebrate Hanukkah, I do get the crush. Part of my family has Xmas, and I do gift the kids at that time.

I buy all year. I probably go over budget, but it is painless. It also allows more thought into the gift.

When i hold the dinner, I make sure that a few of eth must haves are there, and the rest, well, I can get premade, make in advance or whatever.

The dinner is a slight hassle.

And I get Chinese food on Xmas. I have to. :)

I enjoy the wrapping part as it tells me it's all over except the shipping! I like paper, but I use bags for a selection of small gifts or an awkwardly shaped one.

• Wed, Aug 19 2009 12:01 PM In reply to

shopping way before christmas  Both ~ Love getting gifts early, but I forget to look of gifts when I'm out since its months away. Returns can be an issue. So, I avoid getting many items until its within 60-90 days.

shopping right before  H / No ~ Dislike crowds & I find the last minute rush stressful.

shopping throughout the year  NH / Yes ~ Love the idea, but I haven't really made it work overall.  

stuffing stockings  NH / Yes

setting out cookies  N/A ~ No little ones

hand making dinner  N/A ~ Join family for dinner

buying dinner  N/A ~ Haven't done this

eating out on christmas  N/A ~ Haven't done this

wrapping gifts (with paper and tape)  H / Yes ~ I wait to wrap & its takes hours.

putting gifts in gift bags  NH / Yes ~ Requires last minute effort since kitty gets nosey.

not wrapping at all  N/A ~ Just wouldn't be the same without some kind wrapping.

adding those stick on bows  N/A ~ Kitty eats bows & ribbons.

hand making house decorations  H / No ~ I usually wait until the last minute to decorate & need to keep things simple.

buying house decorations  NH ~ I pick up items I like while shopping. I have lots already & only need to replace worn items usually.

hand decorating plain wrapping paer  N/A ~ Not really interested in spending the time doing this.

• Wed, Aug 19 2009 1:03 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

feel free to add your own or say its both shopping way before christmas YES shopping right before NO shopping throughout the year - YES but keep a detailed list of who you buy for and what you already bought for them stuffing stockings - Keep this simple setting out cookies - Only when expecting company hand making dinner - YES buying dinner - NO eating out on christmas - NO wrapping gifts (with paper and tape) Gets expensive if you have a lot and are trying to make a great impression putting gifts in gift bags - Much Better Option - They can be recycled not wrapping at all - NO adding those stick on bows - No hand making house decorations - Nice idea but don't spend a lot on a hobby. buying house decorations - Take the time to add a little every year - No need to go all out the first year. hand decorating plain wrapping paper - Nice Idea these are just a few, feel free to copy and paste Tiffany Dear - You've managed to include a lot about your plans for Christmas. While I think you are doing fine about planning ahead, the one thing you haven't mentioned is How are YOU Going To Pay For All This?. This website and forum if full of ideas, but don't ignore the fact that the best thing you can do for the holidays is NOT GO INTO DEBT. There are folks here that can tell you first hand what happens when you start going overboard trying to go all out to impress people and they spend WAY TOO MUCH for a couple of days of joy. Then come January the bills roll in with a harsh dose of reality. And its difficult to keep up that standard year after year.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 1:53 PM In reply to

True, I love homemade things though, and I dont like a bunch of furniture (I move too much) Im only 17, but these are just ideas that I like to think about and do, I babysit quite often, and so for now I can cover what I do for christmas, and I get with some friends to make most of it, so instead of just me buying everything, I buy one or two things and share it. I plan on being a teacher, (kindergarten or first grade perhaps) So I am working towards college as well. And I know that teaching doesnt make you millions either, but I will be happy doing something I love (and the discounts at joanns and other places is SO worth it), I recycle and reuse just about everything, I dont like to be wasteful, and I have always been raised by my mom, money has always been tight, so I have learned how to penny pinch, and I pinch everything I can, (something I am proud of.) Must of the Ideas I listed, I dont like, such as gift bags, true they are reusable, but paper is too, and it doesnt matter if it is shreaded or crushed, at least, not to me.

• Wed, Aug 19 2009 1:58 PM In reply to

And please dont get me wrong, I really do love the advice of adults, they have been there and done that already, and I dont really like learning the hard way, I love to plan ahead, and have gotten a bunch of GREAT ideas from all the members here (*thank you all, claps*) But I also know that there are ones I wont do, I wont ever send christams cards, e-mail maybe, I wont ever eat out on christmas (why bother resteraunts charge more on holidays) and I will probably always make my christmas dinner by hand (it feels so much more christmas-y)

• Thu, Aug 20 2009 10:36 AM In reply to

shopping way before christmas---NH, yes

shopping right before---H, no

shopping throughout the year---NH, yes

stuffing stockings---NH, yes

setting out cookies---NH, yes

hand making dinner---H, yes

buying dinner---H, yes

eating out on christmas---H, no

wrapping gifts (with paper and tape)---NH, yes

putting gifts in gift bags---NH, if I must (prefer paper & tape!)

not wrapping at all---H, no

adding those stick on bows---NH, yes

hand making house decorations---H, no

buying house decorations---NH, yes

hand decorating plain wrapping paper---H, no

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us