Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Braided Rugs

Last post Fri, Aug 7 2009 10:15 PM by seaturtle. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 6 2009 12:03 AM

Braided Rugs

I have hardwood floors except in the kitchen, pantry, and bathrooms.

At some point in time I will need to replace the rug in the living room. I do not wish to spend the $$$ for another Oriental rug. The rugs I like are close to $2,000.00.

I have been looking at the Home Catalog from L.L. Bean. They have 2 different types of braided rugs.

One is a braided wool rug. The other is a braided rug made out of a manmade fiber.

What do you know about braided rugs ? Are they hard to take care of ? Please tell me the good points and bad points of braided rugs.

I own an Oreck Upright Vacuum Cleaner.

I am going to change this house's decor ever so slightly to reflect my style and taste instead of Mom's. I will not do this immediately; I will do it piecemeal.

Thanks.

• Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:26 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Braided Rugs

Virginia Needlewoman:

One is a braided wool rug. The other is a braided rug made out of a manmade fiber.

What do you know about braided rugs ? Are they hard to take care of ? Please tell me the good points and bad points of braided rugs.

The wool rug will probably last longer than manmade fiber, but will be harder to clean. I love braided rugs, so I'm probably not unbiased, but I don't think they're hard to take care of at all. You can vacuum them, but roll them up now and then and clean the floor under them. Since they have seams, dirt will sift through faster than solid types of rugs. Shaking or beating them (you probably couldn't do it, but maybe you could hire someone to help) now and then will help them stay clean longer. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Aug 6 2009 12:28 PM In reply to

I put a small braided rug under the rocker/recliner in the living room because it was scooting across the floor and scratching it.  It hasn't been a problem to clean.

• Thu, Aug 6 2009 2:36 PM In reply to

Both braided rugs come in the same colors. The Oriental rugs that I like are way more than what I want to spend. Yes, I can be a real tightwad at times, but the rug Mom purchased did not hold up (it was a machine made Oriental rug; all the others we've owned in the past were man made and lasted forever). I refuse to spend over $2,000.00 on a stupid rug.

Since I'm too  cheap to replace the floor length draperies that Mom has in the living room, I'm pretty much limited to one color (claret) for the rug.

I will also be getting a slipcover for my wing chair.

I think if I do these things to the living room, I will feel better about the house. The living room could be turned into a bedroom if I wanted to live downstairs in the future.

• Thu, Aug 6 2009 3:47 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Would Aurora claws get caught all the time in the braids and wreck it?     that is what happens to my moms durrie rugs.  they are woven.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Aug 7 2009 12:39 AM In reply to

I honestly don't know. I can ask her vets about that.

• Fri, Aug 7 2009 9:12 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

We have a braided rug in the living room .. in the family room hardwood and we have a braided rug in our room the sitting room I love them we clean them regularly  ...  I have no idea what they cost I inherited them  from Family .. 

I love them .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Aug 7 2009 10:15 PM In reply to

I solve the problem of the cats getting claws caught by clipping back their nails. Soft nail covers also help.

As I recall, Aurora doesn't exactly enjoy things like that, so perhaps a groomer or friend could help you out on that. I have to keep after mine because after a while, the claws will actually grown around into the pad.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us