Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Making a menu out of Dollar Store Foods Only

Last post Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:35 AM by BargainBinge. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 4 2009 3:54 PM

Making a menu out of Dollar Store Foods Only

Have any of you ever made a week's worth of menus using foods bought from a dollar store only like Dollar Tree Dollar General Fred's dollar store or whatever kind of dollar store that is in your area?  Can you please share some of the menus if you don't mind over the next month we will be having some company and I need to stretch the dollar as far as I can. Thanks for any help

• Tue, Aug 4 2009 4:05 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Making a menu out of Dollar Store Foods Only

Good idea.  

dollar stores don't stock enough food to make a decent menu here.

heavy on cookies,cake mixes, crackers and candies. packs of nuts etc.

some canned fruit, canned beans, spaghetti sauce, pasta, rice mixes, maybe canned sardines etc. but this would be over a few different ones.

if you gave some idea of what you can get in your area, maybe someone would have some ideas.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Aug 4 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

My first thought was pasta. Its filling but it does require some imagination to dress up beyond spaghetti sauce. We make pasta salads that can include canned olives, corn, beans etc. My husband had a pasta recipe that has spaghetti noodles, tuna, miracle whip and pickle relish.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:09 PM In reply to

If your dollar store has a frozen foods section, see if they offer stuffed shells.  Someone mentioned them in another thread the other day and said they were quite good.

I kinda see dollar store foods more as extras, sides, and supplements.  I'm not sure how many main courses I could get outside of basic pasta.  Speaking of pasta, what about pasta salad?  The dollar tree often has roasted red bell peppers in water (jarred), small cans/jars of olives, garlic, and the pasta itself.  Add maybe some onion and some leftover shredded chicken or some canned tuna if you need meat in it.  A good stretchy dish.

Another side option outside of canned fruits & veggies, could be crackers along side some sliced cheese and some tuna or chicken salad.  Add some fruit and maybe some cookies for a nice easy lunch.  This is something DD & I have frequently for lunch.  It's a favorite around here.

A simple pineapple cake is made mixing 1 box of yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, and 1 can of crushed pineapple (juice & all).  You don't need anything else, but it's good with whipped topping on top.

Good luck in your search for menus!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:45 PM In reply to

Toni, could you post your hubby's recipe over in the recipe section?  I love cold pasta salads!

Our dollar stores here only have lots of convenience foods that are heavy in salt, fat and sugar - not a diet you'd want to eat over a period of time.  Plus, most things are a dollar, but many of the same items are available at, say, Aldi's for maybe .79 or so.  We have a Dollar General not far from here that mostly serves a low-rent apartment complex and I see lots of foot traffic back and forth there.  There is public transporation available nearby, but I guess it's easier to send a child down for whatever's needed, even if it's higher-priced and less nutritious.  Liz.

• Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:20 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

HillBilly Housewife's emergency menu might inspire some meal plans for you. Some of these items could certainly be found at the dollar stores.

I am not certain how different the family resource site is from Hillbilly Housewife's menu but they have an emergency one as well.

And some other ideas:

Cheap dinner

How to Survive in New York on .99

I would check around and get the prices on some basic items. The dollar store may not beat some local sales on staples, meats and fresh foods that can be added in with dollar store buys for the best overall menu for you.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Have you seen the .99 chef blog? He buys lots of his ingredients from Dollar Tree, etc.  And from sales at the grocery. Then plans meals around them.

http://the99centchef.blogspot.com

~Living frugally at the edge of the forest ~
  • Wed, Aug 5 2009 2:16 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

our Dollar tree really cut down on the amount of food it sell I was there the other day .. it get a great deal on several spices and  they have Red Rose tea .. a favorite here .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Aug 9 2009 11:39 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Linda, have you started your menus and shopping? I am curious as to how you do and what you make.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Aug 9 2009 12:30 PM In reply to

Brandy, I haven't starting shopping yet but have been putting things down on paper.  I like the cheap dinners you gave the link to so will try and do some of those and maybe make the pineapple cake to go with one of the dinners.  Thanks for the link for Cheap Dinners.

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us