Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Line-Drying

Last post 02-14-2010 8:37 PM by sissy. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2009 8:55 AM

Line-Drying

I would like to hear whether anyone here has switched partially or completely over from electric drying to line drying their clothes and actually noticed any saved money on their electric bill...

Thanks!

• 07-30-2009 9:17 AM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

Re: Line-Drying

I've used an indoor clothing rack for the whole time that we have lived in the condo and paid our electric bill so I used an appliance calculator to find my savings. If that calculator doesn't have the same hydro price as your area then you may want to search "appliance calculator" on a search engine.

There are only 2 of us in the household and we don't really do a lot of laundry - I work at home and DH wears his office clothes twice before washing - but I still calculated about $8 a month. I think this amount would actually be higher because we have an old dryer.

The other cost that you can't calculate with this is that your clothes last longer when they're not put in a dryer so you won't have to replace items as often. Some people say they have to iron more but I've never had this problem. If you shake the clothes out really well before hanging and "hand-press" them on the hanger they seem fairly wrinkle-free.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • 07-30-2009 9:34 AM In reply to

Since last year I've tried to reduce the my consumption of electricity from large appliances, stove/oven and clothes dryer. There is only two of us here but occasionally my sons come home to do laundry. This year I installed an umbrella clothes line and its the best thing I ever did. I hang shirts on hangers to help keep their shape. Its hard for me to calculate my savings exactly because the weather here has been cool enough not to rely on air conditioning this summer and all my baking has been in a toaster oven instead of the regular oven. So between these three changes we have seen a significant reduction in electric use.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 07-30-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

I can't hang up clothes to dry anymore.

However, I used to dry my clothes in my college dorm room instead of using the dryer because I didn't have the extra money for drying them back when I was in college.

I do, however, wait to run a load of clothes or a load of dirty dishes until I have a full load. I've managed to reduce my electric bill and it was not easy !

• 07-30-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

I don't have a line, but for years (decades?) I have hung up certain clothes inside, eithe ron hangers or drying flat on towels.  I may use clothes pins and hang the item upside down if it is the kind of thing that would get shoulder marks. 

• 07-30-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

I would love to line dry, but there's no clothes line here right now.  I'm hoping next summer to convince DH that we would benefit from one.  My mom had the umbrella type and her favorite feature was that it folded up and she could pull it out from it's tube holder in the ground and put it away in bad weather -- especially important b/c of the occassional hurricane where she lives.  That's the kind I would like, I think.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 07-30-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

I haven't owned a dryer in over 12 years.

I save about $20 a month by not using a dryer.

• 07-30-2009 10:37 AM In reply to

Thank you all for your replies!  My house came with an old "umbrella style" clothesline that has seen better days.  My dad and I repaired it and I do use it occasionally, but wondered if it was pointless.  Because of your positive responses, I will continue to line-dry...  I had read some statistic about how it saves the environment (fossil fuel required to generate electricity, etc.).

• 07-30-2009 10:51 AM In reply to

chocolatechic:
    I haven't owned a dryer in over 12 years.

That's great! Wish I had the will power to unplug mine.

~Living frugally at the edge of the forest ~
  • 07-30-2009 11:05 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

This may not help: I did the reverse - went from line drying for the past 4 years to a new energy efficient gas dryer.  There wasn't enough change in the gas or electric bill to even be noticeable. Compared to the 1980 dryer I had prior to this new one this is greatly more efficient in the way it dries clothes and the energy used to run it.  I really was afraid it was going to go up $30.00 or more to use it, but it didn't.  I dry about 5 loads of clothes a week for 2 people. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 5 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us