Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

slow-cooker vs. electric oven?

Last post 08-27-2007 9:49 PM by miss_thrifty. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2007 6:35 AM

• debojo98
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • south western new york
    • Posts 12

slow-cooker vs. electric oven?

Good morning everyone--I have been enjoying reading all of the great advice for sometime now, so I decided to ask a question.  What would be more "frugal" to use, a slow-cooker or an electric oven?  Thanks

• 08-22-2007 7:40 AM In reply to

Re: slow-cooker vs. electric oven?

Well first I would like to welcome you to the forum!  So glad you decided to join in.  : )

To your question: First it would depend on the cost of your electric.  That aside, it now depends on what you are cooking.  If it is a casserole that will cook in 30 minutes and you can double it for another meal it may be that that is the less expensive of the two choices.  If you are slow roasting a nice piece of marked down beef, it would probably be the slow cooker.  You also should take into consideration your comfort level, if your kitchen heats up to an unbearable degree when you use the oven, use the slow cooker by all means.

As afar as siteing numbers, call your electric company and and ask for a breakdown of costs.  Make sure you know the specifics of your oven(name, age, etc.)and your slow cooker.

And for the most part, a slow cooker is the cheaper option in my house.  : )  

• 08-22-2007 3:44 PM In reply to

• debojo98
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • south western new york
    • Posts 12

thank you Brianschef---hubby and I were having a disagreement about it---i thought it would be cheaper and he didn't think so

• 08-22-2007 3:57 PM In reply to

I think is a matter of limitations. You can cook more items with an oven then a slow cooker plus cook two different things at the same time like a casserole and biscuits.  Also up here is only too hot to cook in the oven about 3 mths out of the year. I can see in hotter areas it makes a big difference.  The oven on would heat the house and save heating.  Maybe a debate between a toaster oven and a slow cooker. 
    My Family's Interests
  • 08-22-2007 5:31 PM In reply to

My vote is for slow cooker, especially when you don't wish to heat up your home. Right now, it's 97 degrees out and I'm NOT going to turn on my oven! My poor air conditioner has a hard enough time keeping up...

Besides, the slow cooker makes the best meatloaf ever! Yummm...  

SAHWife and mom of 2 (oh, and my dad lives here too!)
  • 08-22-2007 11:51 PM In reply to

I've been researching it to try and get a better idea, and it is quite funny some of the information you find! One page just had an 'average use per month' figure (what is average? daily? twice a week?) while another lists the hours of use as TWO. Like, what crockpot cooks for TWO hours?? Argh.

I did come across this short article which expresses the issue well:

http://www.powerwise.ca/what_suggestions.shtml#Oven

Basically, because its used for a short time, the oven can be more efficient. I think this will depend on the quality of the insulation on your oven, too. 

However the crock pot has other benefits - slow cooking can preserve some nutrients better than high-temperature cooking, and it can be useful if you need to get dinner prepared ahead of time.

My crock pot is too big for my current needs - though it will be useful when the children are bigger and have growing teenager appetites - so I might think twice about using it unless I want to double and freeze.

Helen

• 08-27-2007 9:49 PM In reply to

My cp would be cheaper on elec. beacuse wherecwe rent the new stove still had the ele. guide still on it. It was almost at the highest on the bar. So the co will win no hands down especially the heat in the summer. And how much i can make in bulk and freeze of meats and roasts.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us