Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What apples are best for apple butter?

Last post Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:54 PM by sissy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:15 AM

What apples are best for apple butter?

I want to make some crockpot apple butter since the whole family likes it.  Which apples are the best ones to use?

re-tired

• Wed, Jul 22 2009 11:04 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: What apples are best for apple butter?

I think any cooking apple makes good apple butter.  I've made it from almost every kind of apple I can get my hands on. You can adjust the sugar in any recipe depending on how sweet the apples are.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Draw me some more directions Pat.

What apples are "good cooking apples"?  And how would I know whether or not (and which way) to adjust the sugar?

I can cook food, but sweets have always been a box mix or very carefully followed recipe for me!

re-tired

• Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:59 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/apple-variety.html

I like to use Granny Smith for Apple butter .   its usually about 4 lbs of apples and about the same for sugar.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:08 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

re-tired:
    What apples are "good cooking apples"?  And how would I know whether or not (and which way) to adjust the sugar?

Gayla's link is great, check that out if you haven't. Cooking apples are the tart ones. They give a better flavor for apple sauce and apple butter. You can adjust the sugar when you taste the sauce before cooking it down. If it tastes sour, add a little more until it tastes like apple sauce. The sweetness will intensify when it's cooked down. Sorry I can't do better than that! I go by the seat of my pants a lot. Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:23 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I use macs or winesap. That is what grows here that are tart. I make it in the fall when the apples are ripe. I add the sugar and just keep tasting until itis sweet enough Then add spices. I make it in my heavy pot in the oven on 250. Havent done the crockpot but have read about it. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Jul 23 2009 12:53 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

our apple trees are full I cant want for Fall to start making canned apples and make apple butter . and my DH favorite Fried pies

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Jul 23 2009 3:33 PM In reply to

We use almost anything except the really sweet ones (Red & Gold Delicious are awful), mixed with about half tart (Granny Smith is excellent). We've found that for both sauce and butter, the key to a really nice, apple-y flavor is using a mix of types of apples instead of just one. Last year we used all heirlooms, including (as someone else mentioned) a good bit of winesaps.

We made 5 gallons of apple butter last year, so we're set for this year (thank goodness--it was a long, arduous process!), though we'll be making a few other types of butter including pumpkin and peach.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Thu, Jul 23 2009 4:12 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Fried apple pies are so tasty. Another apple that we use a lot is Cortlands. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 9:35 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I am bumping this one up for our readers looking for fall recipes and activities.
    The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us