Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Brown rice

Last post Fri, Jul 17 2009 8:31 PM by lmnichols. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:01 PM

• lmnichols
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 3 2008
    • Southern Indiana
    • Posts 92

Brown rice

Every time I go to make brown rice, it is still in the liquid and barely cooked after 45 minutes.  I follow the directions.  I don't want to go back to white rice - which I make with no problem.  I have made brown rice successfully when I lived in Florida.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

lynn
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

Re: Brown rice

I hope someone can answer this...

The last time I stocked up on rice, I bought all brown to make the healthy conversion. Right now, we are about 2 meals away from finishing up our white rice and converting.. now I'm worried about having this problem...

Any one have a tip????

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:36 PM In reply to

I've never had a problem cooking brown rice before so I'm not sure.  I know it has to cook for a longer time that white rice.  I use a rice cooker all the time now, so it's pretty easy and fool proof, but before I just followed the directions on the box or bag of rice.  

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:42 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

lmnichols:
    Every time I go to make brown rice, it is still in the liquid and barely cooked after 45 minutes.

Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice. Just give it a little more time and it will be fine. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:20 PM In reply to

• lmnichols
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 3 2008
    • Southern Indiana
    • Posts 92

Pat

Are you saying it is norm to take longer than 45 minutes?  I know the white will cook up in just 20 - 25 minutes. 

lynn
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:36 PM In reply to

I checked the bags of brown rice I have in the pantry and they say to cook for 45.... I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm successful or not. LOL.

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 8:19 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

I always add the brown rice and water to a pot and bring it to a boil on high heat.  Once boiling I cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low and wait 40-50 minutes.  Then I fluff with a fork and serve.  It's perfect every time as long as you don't remove the lid before the time is up.

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 8:44 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

lmnichols:

Pat

Are you saying it is norm to take longer than 45 minutes?  I know the white will cook up in just 20 - 25 minutes. 

Yes, but part of it depends on your altitude, just like cooking beans takes longer at 2000 feet than at sea level. Like Julie (?) I bring mine to a boil, then turn down the heat and put a lid on it. It uses a little more water than it calls for, too, but that may be because I'm at 5,000 feet, I don't know. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 11:04 PM In reply to

All the suggestions posted above are great. Here's how I make brown rice:

Put 2 1/2 times as much water as rice in a pot. (I usually make 1 cup brown rice and add 2 1/2 cups water.)

I let the rice soak in the water NOT ON THE HEAT for a few hours. It just sits on the stove, on a turned-off burner.

After a few hours, I turn the heat on high and bring the water/rice mixture to a boil. Then I turn it on low and put the lid on. Leave the lid on, and never ever ever lift the lid while the rice is cooking. In fact, the Chinese believe it's bad luck to remove the lid from cooking rice. Since I am just too curious by nature, I usually cook my rice in a pot that has a glass lid. That way I can see the rice without lifting the lid.

I let it cook on low for 45-50 minutes. I turn the stove burner off, and do not move the rice. I let it sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes or more. It will still be plenty warm when it's time to be served. Then I fluff with a fork and serve. It comes out perfect every time.

(I've never lived in a high altitude location, so I wouldn't know how to adjust the cooking times.)

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Jul 16 2009 1:24 PM In reply to

I cook my brown rice in chicken broth. I start by bringing the broth and seasonings to a boil, then add the brown rice. Stir to incorporate the seasonings. Turn the heat down to simmer and put a lid on the pot. Stir occasionally. It's ready in 45 minutes.

Jill

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us