Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Can I Get Rid of This Smell and Taste ?

Last post Wed, Aug 12 2009 9:14 AM by missapril_piano. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 13 2009 3:57 PM

How Can I Get Rid of This Smell and Taste ?

I bought 4 Rubbermaid water bottles. They are plastic and hold 20 ounces. I've washed them twice in the dishwasher. They make my Brita water smell and taste bad.

What can I do ? I like how Brita's water tastes in my regular glasses. I need to use bottles in my bedroom and I take my meds with water.

Thanks.

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

Re: How Can I Get Rid of This Smell and Taste ?

Have you tried just leaving them out in the air to air out for a while? Or maybe vinegar, lemon juice or baking soda?

Jill

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 11:20 PM In reply to

No, I haven't tried doing that.

• Sun, Jun 14 2009 3:16 AM In reply to

Denture cleaner. I use denture cleaner to clean out my water bottles. I have a SIGG one that is aluminum, but lined. The denture cleaner gets it real clean inside without wearing down the liner.

I have a new klean kanteen which is stainless steel. It's more dishwasher friendly, but I still use the denture cleaner cause it's easy. You just plop in a tab & fill with lukewarm water. I bought the mint tabs, so they leave the bottle minty fresh!

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Sun, Jun 14 2009 3:19 AM In reply to

Oh, and the denture cleaner is CHEAP. The store brand at walmart is $1.50 for 200 tabs.

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Sun, Jun 14 2009 7:49 AM In reply to

I've added a couple drops of bleach to some water to take care of the taste of something the kids left in my favorite water bottle (I think it was old soda) another trick is to toss a part of a lemon into your water bottle and let it set for a few hours or a day.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 12:31 AM In reply to

I will pick some up the next time I'm at the pharmacy side of my Walmart.

Thanks !

• Mon, Jun 15 2009 12:33 AM In reply to

I'll try your suggestions also. Since I have 4 bottles, I can see which suggestion works the best.

Thanks !

• Mon, Jun 15 2009 12:40 PM In reply to

Add a few drops of vanilla essence to water and let it stand for a while.

This also works to get rid of nastty smells in your fride or freezer - use undiluted in these cases

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 12:06 AM In reply to

You must know that I adore vanilla ! I have solid Renuzits in vanilla in different places in the house.Wink

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us