Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dumb & completely unnecessary products we see advertised

Last post 03-24-2009 7:21 PM by Edey. 58 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (59 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2007 11:01 AM

Dumb & completely unnecessary products we see advertised

Dear All, I'm starting this thread as an invitation for others -- without a TV, & with a radio station with few commercials (classical music, streaming world-wide at KDFC.com), & with rarely reading catalogs (I just give them to one of my aides who enjoys reading them)  I know of few dumb & completely unnecessary products.  However, this is the kind of thing that I mean -- the perrenial attmepts to sell "egg-peeling machines" that are attached to the kitchen wter spout ....  Can we add to this list?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 08-17-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

Re: Dumb & completely unnecessary products we see advertised

I happen to feel that way about the potato peelers that peel as you turn the handle.

• 08-17-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

Rice cookers. My a pot on the stove works just as well.

Quesadilla makers (I own one, bought it at a garage sale -- "this looks neat!" We actually eat quesadillas, but again, a pan on the stove works just as well, and now I have something else to store.) Can't wait to lump it off onto someone else at my next sale!

There are probably a gazillion kitchen gadgets that fall into this category. Some may be useful to one person, but a dust storage facility for another.

I'll ask my DH when he gets home ... his nickname is Gadget Man. LOL.

SAHWife and mom of 2 (oh, and my dad lives here too!)
  • 08-17-2007 12:33 PM In reply to

I'm with you regarding rice cookers.  Good thing that you didn't post this on another site.....I was royally flamed for suggesting it was unnecessary!  My kitchen is so small I can't imagine storing that  kind of stuff....iced tea makers, iced coffee makers, etc.  My Mom loved kitchen gadgets, but didn't like to cook.  She once gave me a chrysanthemum onion thingee to deep fry onions, I can't remember what it was called.  I once owned an electric wok.....never once used it.
    After writing all this, I want to say that there is one advertised item that is excellent, and that is the Vidalia onion chopper thing.  It really doesn't do onions very well, but is indispensable for other chopping chores.  I bought one and have used it many, many times.  It really saves time and pain in the hands.  You can make an entire potato salad without once chopping anything by hand, except onions!
    Patrink

• 08-17-2007 2:35 PM In reply to

I am a kitchen gadget freak also, although some things are given to me and some I buy second hand.  I have so many things I do not use, the electric pasta maker, a bread maker, no rice cooker here ; ), electric wok, peelers and choppers of all kinds, an electric crepe maker, a quesillidia maker, 2 electric ice cream makers, etc.

Cant wait to have a yard sale!  ; )

• 08-17-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

LOL brianschef, that reminds me of the english muffin toaster/egg cooker that is supposed to make an Egg McMuffin-like breakfast sandwich. My friend got one for Christmas and she couldn't sell it at her garage sale (cheap!) !!!

SAHWife and mom of 2 (oh, and my dad lives here too!)
  • 08-17-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I just saw a hot dog warmer on sale, for the college kids, I guess. There are holes for wieners and holes for hot dog buns. That's all it can do. It looked to be about the size of a small toaster.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-17-2007 4:07 PM In reply to

gardengirl ~  I remember making a remark about one of those on another forum and was told "they are lovely, I really enjoy mine".  So I guess it is to each is own. I wonder how much we can get for some of these wonderful inventive gadgets of ours!  LOL

• 08-17-2007 5:36 PM In reply to

I'm not sure my list is of *completely* unnecessary products, but there are things that have a much cheaper (and in my opinion easier) alternative.  Like paying close to a hundred bucks for an electric toothbrush. With proper technique, a manual toothbrush is just as effective according to my dentist. It takes up a lot less space and I don't have to keep it plugged in. Electric can openers are another one.  I also find the whole juicing thing slightly funny. Instead of wasting the fiber why not just eat actual fruits and vegetables? If people like it- more power to 'em, its just not my cup of tea.

Basically, anything that works fine in the manual form that manufacturers decide to make more money on by making an electric/battery version of.  I wish I could remember the ad exactly, but you can buy a razor that will tell you when to change the blade. Here's a thought- change it when it stops giving you a nice shave. Sorry for my snarkiness on the topic:)

Edited to add: I'm sure there are people who have either handicaps or manual dexterity issues that make these things useful. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't use or like these things. I just find it funny when companies take an old wheel, remake it into a more expensive wheel with the same amount of usefulness, and then pass it off as groundbreaking.

• 08-17-2007 8:12 PM In reply to

I think the Mr Tea? was something that came and went!  I am not into gadgets, only use on a reg. basis, coffeepot, hot shot,  old electric hand mixer (maybe 6 -10 a year), the hamilton grill I got for xmas, microwave and yes my $10 rice cooker!  I can't make rice, I admit, Its barely right in the rice cooker.  I am going to borrow my mil bread maker (hasn't used it for years) to try the pizza dough recipe from the hillbilly housewife website.  I do have a kitchaid mixer too.  What helps me with the little ones is that I can put it on and leave it since I am not guaranteed 5 min of peace :) to do anything

My Family's Interests
Page 1 of 6 (59 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us