Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Father's Day

Last post Wed, Jul 1 2009 1:55 PM by whitney37354. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 1 2009 8:09 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Father's Day

Melanie Farkas shares her frugal ideas for Father's Day in The Dollar Stretcher this week. 

What are your plans?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Jun 1 2009 8:18 AM In reply to

Re: Frugal Father's Day

Those are really cute ideas!

I actually got DH's Father's Day card in the mail three weeks ago. His location is so remote that it might take that long for him to get it. As of last Friday, he still hadn't mentioned that he received it.

I might take a picture with the two kids holding up a Happy Father's Day poster and e-mail it to him. He'd like that.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Jun 1 2009 10:23 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

wow it that coming already!      not too frugal here.   have a pair of jeans in the gift box or maybe I will get him some short sleeved shirts.have to check his closet first.   kids are getting him a electric griddle to make more pancakes at one time.  he wants one.

have another season of walker texas ranger for fil.  don't know what to get him from the kids.  maybe wendys gift card.

have to go look at the calender to see when it is.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Jun 1 2009 3:41 PM In reply to

We are inviting my dad to come to our house for the weekend. I have frames I bought on clearance and 3 pictures of my boys. My dad, my DH and my FIL will each get a framed picture of the boys and my oldest will make a home-made card for them. For dinner on Saturday night, grilling out with something chocolate for dessert (my dad loves dessert!). Church on Sunday and then I thought I would let my DH decide what afternoon activity he wanted to do (season pass or free to us): swimming, golfing, children's museum, children's zoo. Or, take a nap, LOL.

I thought I may make ice cream. I remember my mom doing that one father's day. And home-made fudge sauce!

Erika
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:44 PM In reply to

Daddy died in 1972. My step-father died in 1989. I do not celebrate this holiday.

If I did, I would probably get the stuff for a cook-out. If I were married, I'd most likely own a grill.

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 11:40 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I already order flowers for Daddy and My Father in law .

the little kids got Daddy a new shirt and tie

I brought DH a boat he been wanting , got it at an estate sale of about 1/3 of the piece .. Had it cleaned and ready to pick up he will be thrilled ..

the older chidlren will give him different things ..

We will have a bbq that day and play in the lake .. DH and the boys will water ski and have fun on the lake ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jun 3 2009 2:46 PM In reply to

mamasjob:

We are inviting my dad to come to our house for the weekend. I have frames I bought on clearance and 3 pictures of my boys. My dad, my DH and my FIL will each get a framed picture of the boys and my oldest will make a home-made card for them. For dinner on Saturday night, grilling out with something chocolate for dessert (my dad loves dessert!). Church on Sunday and then I thought I would let my DH decide what afternoon activity he wanted to do (season pass or free to us): swimming, golfing, children's museum, children's zoo. Or, take a nap, LOL.

I thought I may make ice cream. I remember my mom doing that one father's day. And home-made fudge sauce!

Update: I found a golf shirt on super-clearance and bought it for DH. He is worth $9.99, LOL. He is the best father! The Susan G. Komen for the Cure (breast cancer foundation) sent us a black polo shirt with the Komen pink ribbon embroidered on the right sleeve. Too small for DH and too big for me but I think just right for my dad. Now, for Father in Law, something besides the picture of the boys...

Erika
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:38 PM In reply to

Hi all!

My father passed on when I was an infant, and my Grandfather passed on a few years back-- so I only have my DH to worry about!

I ordered him some photo gifts from walmart.com (a tie with the new baby on it that matches the tie I got him last year with that year's new baby on it, LOL) and I also got him a few grilling accessories. I also got him a few little things. I think he'll love them all! I am planning to make him a cake, cut out in the shape of a tie. I'm going to cover it with fondant icing and really decorate it up cute. For dinner we're going to take a drive to Famous Dave's BBQ (which is a little way out from us) to use up some gift cards that we recieved  a while back. We're going to get some extra BBQ to bring home, too. I think it'll be a rather frugal day, although I might have spent a little more $$ than I meant to. I'll do better next year!!

BTW, I love holidays and I decorate for most all of them (I am in the process of making a Father's Day wreath for the front door) so discovering this section of the forum made my whole day!!

Ruth

SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Wed, Jun 10 2009 6:57 PM In reply to

We used to bake a cake or cookies, but DD decided it was not healthy.  A card will have to do.

;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 12:44 PM In reply to

I'm not really sure what we'll be doing. I know Brian isn't really looking forward to it, as this will be the first Father's Day without his dad. However, he also understands that our kids are excited about it. If we stay home, we'll most likely cook out (steaks and/or chicken, corn on the cob, salads, baked potatoes, etc.). I might also bake him a nice cake, or maybe pick up a Carvel ice cream cake at the store (I have a coupon). The kids will make him some nice cards, and I think I might try to see about finding a solar powered radio that he could use when he's working outside. Not sure yet. I'll be getting my stepdad his usual gift card to GNC. I'm not sure when we'll go see him...probably the day before.

~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us