Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you have family reunions?

Last post Wed, Jul 21 2010 11:43 PM by MommyBliss. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 28 2009 4:34 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Do you have family reunions?

We've tried a few times, just for the people who live within a couple of hours of here. No matter who hosts it or how it's organized, it seems to be an expensive project.

This article from Dollar Stretcher: Handling an Overpriced Family Reunion has some good ideas that I've been kicking around. Do you have anything to add to it? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, May 28 2009 5:01 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Do you have family reunions?

My husband has a large family but we do try to gather together at least one a year and include as many siblings/spouses, children and grandchildren (40-60 people). We're spread out all over New York state but we usually end up in the Northern Tier in the Adironacks where my in-laws live. Its usually a Lebanese meal supplemented with other salads and side dishes. A couple is SIL's usually coordinate and tell us what to bring. The food situation works out great. The sleeping arrangements have gotten more complicated since there are more young ones (under 10) and some families travel great distances. Since DH and I are 2.5 hours away, we opt to come home and sleep in our own bed. The only issue is that many family members own dogs and often bring them to these gatherings. There have been as many as 7 dogs and they get a "pack mentality" if they aren't supervised or restrained. That has been the only issue. The expenses go for whatever food is made and gas to get there and back.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, May 28 2009 5:14 PM In reply to

Not usually but since my Dad got ill last year, we all got together in September for the first time in 28 years.  Then on Father's Day we are having the memorial service for Dad who died on Mother's Day as that weekend my brother flies in from the UK again.  He had it planned before Dad's death and could not change or cancel it without penalty.  So we all decided instead of no service to have a celebration of Dad's life.  Luckily my younger sister can put me up and my brother and sister in law.  2 Step brothers and their families live in Calgary and the other Step Brother is coming from Sask. and staying at one of his brothers' house.  There is a hall booked which is providing lunch and my Step Mum is funding the whole thing.  I just have to get there which will be by maxi scooter and should cost me under $100 for the ferry and the gas.  I should be able to do it in  1 day.

Hugs Sally.

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:53 PM In reply to

• momskii
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 20 2010
    • Posts 3

We had one family reunion that cost us the price of one main dish.  We had about 80 people or so.  I called our Parks & Rec dept and

booked one of the community parks in our town. It cost $25.  It had pavillions, bathrooms, softball fields, hiking trails, a place for horseshoes.

Most of the people were from the state and some stayed with folks who had room.  There weren't too many out of state people.  It was held at the park for only one day.

For the last 4 years, my grown children decided they wanted to get together with all their cousins who are now spread over the country.  We book a campsite, and we all bring tents (really camping and cheap) some have RV's and we go just for the weekend, so the ones who can't get off from work don't feel any pressure and can afford to come.  Some come for Thursday night and leave on Sunday, some come on Friday and leave on Monday. We try to pick the same weekend, so those of us who need to take time from work can come.  We had people last year

from PA, SC, FL and of course CT.  The cost is about $100 for the weekend, as we all cook together and the campsite is cheap.

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:00 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

Every year the first Saturday in May usually. This year there were over 100 people. The cost is very low...we just bring a potluck item. It is only about 2 hours away so it is an easy drive...it is held at a community center, there is playground equipment for the kids, and it is in a rural area...lots of fun seeing everyone. For the first time in my recollection we had name tags this year telling what branch of the family tree we are from....

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:26 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we used too all the family except my Sister and her daughter live on our land .. we are all close  some of my DH family cousins and their kids are come up from Arkansas in August

and if possible a distant cousin and her family are coming from Holland their in my Mother in laws family.  her great Mother and my Mil Grandmother were sister .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:19 PM In reply to

We have a family reunion every July everyone brings a dish (potluck) I also try and make a dessert. We have our family reunion a Joe Wheeler State Park all rooms are waterfront and you can watch the boats and water skiers go by some rent rooms but I don't I just live a 2 hour drive away so usually just go for the day. I have an aunt 3 miles from the park I could stay with but have to get back to tend to the pug. The park also has a swimming pool,campgrounds,RV or tent camping, hiking trails for people who want to live off the grid you can rent a very small cottage which has no tv so pretty much there are things for everyone to do.

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 4:37 PM In reply to

We get together once a year. if something special is going on in someones life we celebrate that , like this year my brother retired so that was the special. Next year is our 50th anniversary so that will be the focas.

The cost is divided up by each family giving whatever they can afford.My sister heads everything and does a wonderful job with no problems.

My husbands side did it for 5 or 6 years and they gave up don't know what the problem was and don't care to know.

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 11:43 PM In reply to

My husband's family does it at a great aunt's home, but none of the younger generation really goes anymore. My family doesn't, we are just too spread out and no one seems too interested.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us