Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Flea problem

Last post Wed, Jun 3 2009 7:33 AM by KateHC. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 12 2009 7:33 AM

Flea problem

Well it has already started here, the dreaded flea season. There was an article in the Dollar Stretcher archives about natural flea prevention. Last night we put a light over a plastic plate filled with the water and a drop of dish soap and this morning there wer 4 fleas in it. My question is this, does it matter what type of lightbulb you use? We used a CFL. What about the type and color of the plate? We used a plastic plate and it was red, that was what I had on hand. Has anyone tried this? Am I doing something wrong? We thought that there would be more fleas in the plate. Our little dog got her bath yesterday evening and there were about 15 or 20 on her! So we thought that there would be more than 4 in the plate this a.m.

Following more of the advice in the article, I sliced and brought a lemon to a boil, and will lightly spray her when she gets up. The rugs will be vacumed well and the bag removed from the vacum. We put one of those flea treatments on her on May 4, so she can't have another one for 30 days. This has been a cost effective way of dealing with fleas in the past, but it has not worked this year. Her bedding has been washed and the area around her bed was sprayed with a commercial spray - just hate using that stuff. She is 10 years old, so we try to be careful about flea sprays around her, but we can't let her get eaten up by fleas either! Any advice would be appreciated. DH is picking up a bag of cedar chips on the way home today and we will put some in her bed. Carpets will be sprinkled with salt before we go to bed tonight and vacumed before she gets up, and anything else I can think of that might help! She does go outside long enough to go to the doggy bathroom, but that is it. We have a kitten that stays inside also and is unaffected by fleas at the moment. We need to get this under control before there is an infestation in our house! Thanks in advance!

• Tue, May 12 2009 9:16 AM In reply to

Re: Flea problem

Well, it's not frugal, but I swear by Frontline. Those are the drops you put on the dog's nape and hindquarters that kill fleas and ticks for a month. Is that the flea treatment you used?

Our dogs have never had a flea problem, and we use Frontline during the flea/tick season. We don't use it on them in the winter time, it helps to cut down the expense a little bit.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, May 12 2009 9:44 AM In reply to

I do the same thing Stacie does -- treat in the spring/summer months.  My cats haven't had any fleas yet (they're 2 1/2), but I honestly think it's b/c of the frontline.  My mom treats all 4 of her dogs with frontline, too, and she's not had a problem in years.  I don't work for a vet's office or for frontline, but I really do like their product.  I'm sensitive to bug bites as is my DD, so flea bites look like mosquito bites on us and mosquito bites get to the size of a 1/2 dollar coin.  Avoiding them altogether is our best treatment.  We've not treated the cats yet this year, but we are going to treat them 1 week before we leave for Indiana. 

Good luck caring for your pooch!  They are part of our families and deserve the best and it sounds like that's exactly what you do.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, May 12 2009 11:29 AM In reply to

That has been the problem, Frontline is no longer effective. It was costing around $10 a month, may not sound frugal, but it was all that we had to do to control fleas, so was actually cheaper to do that. Hate that it no longer works!! When we used that there was no need to buy flea sprays or do anything else!

Yes Sunshinestreva, she is a member of the family, but she does not know that she is a dog, we haven't broken the news to her. At her age why even bother because she would not believe me if I told her that she was a dog! Big Smile

• Tue, May 12 2009 3:49 PM In reply to

My girls are 10 and 2 and Frontline does not work on them either.  Apply according to directions and a few days later they still have fleas.  Funny thing is that Advantage works great on them. Similar price and same application process.  Unfortunately, fewer vets are carrying Advantage and are instead carrying Frontline or the pill Comfortis.  If you want to try Comfortis, it is a little more expensive, but you can get individual pills instead of a six month supply box if you find a vet that sells individual doses. (We have one here in town.)  It is a once a month pill. I used it on both dogs last year because I was having trouble finding Advantage and the Comfortis had them flea free within just a few hours.  The paper work says it starts working in 30 minutes and they are flea free in 4 hours. I pay $12 to$15 per pill, but didn't have to give it more than once last year. (Of course I also dusted the back yard with Sevin Dust at the same time to help control the fleas the squirrels bring in.) The Comfortis was cheaper this year because I bought a six month box. (Both dogs use the same dosage so that is three treatments each and the box does not expire until 2011, so I should be able to use it before it runs out.) I have to be very careful on what the 10 year old gets because of her allergies and the vet highly recommended the Comfortis and it can be given with her other medications without a problem. I just used it again last month (first time use in about 11 months!) and we are flea free again. I also like that they don't have to have chemicals on them that make me have to wash my hands everytime I love on them.  Good luck with the flea problem.  Here in Florida it is a constant concern!

Julie-Ann

• Tue, May 12 2009 9:23 PM In reply to

Thank you! I will definitely check into Comfortis. My vet has been carrying the frontline and promeris (I think that is the name of it) but when we used the promeris, she got more fleas! She is an older girl and tiny so we have to be careful about what we put on her. Thank you for the idea. I will call my vet. He really thought the promeris would work, but it does not for us.

Used the lemon water solution today 2X on her and it did make a difference. Side benefit she smells nice! Bought some cedar chips to put in her bed also. Have not tried the eucalyptus yet, she may not like the smell and it may drive her from the bed as well. Someone suggested that we put banana peels under the furniture, that was supposed to get rid of fleas. She drug all of the peels to her bed and pushed them under her blanket, caught her chewing on one. So this did not work, or it might have if she left them alone -we will never know!

• Tue, May 12 2009 11:06 PM In reply to

Frontline and Advantage don't work on my cats, but Revolution does, and it protects against hearworm, too.

I once had a flea infestation (moved into an apartment already infested). I had to treat all my furries with Revolution, vacuum and wash bedding every day, put down Boric acid, then vacuum that.

Fleas are difficult because the larvae will live in any crack or crevice. And they reproduce so rapidly.

I finally had to bomb my apartment, twice. That took care of it. Since then, I medicate with Revolution, and haven't seen a single flea or tick on my 7 cats.

• Wed, May 13 2009 11:14 AM In reply to

Seaturtle, how awful! Was hoping to avoid the bombing, hoping that we have caught the situation before it gets that bad.

Last night we put cedar chips in her bedding. She noticed the smell, but did not fuss too much. I did not hear her scratching during the night, so it must have helped. Did not see any fleas on her this morning. We used the lightbulb and dish again last night - 2 fleas this morning. Rugs are being vacumed daily and will use the lemon water today also. Had to do it 2X yesterday, but it seemed to work.

• Wed, May 13 2009 11:40 PM In reply to

I'm glad at  your success. I forgot to mention that feeding your pet garlic and brewer's yeast will make athem unattractive to fleas. I don't know the exact amounts, but if you Google it, I'm sure you can find it as a natural treatment for fleas. A friend did this, plus all the things you're doing, and she completely got rid of them.

• Thu, May 14 2009 6:49 AM In reply to

Thanks Seaturtle! I will check it out, I am willing to do anything that will not harm her at this point! We used the lightbulb method again last night and there were no fleas this morning! Will continue to do all of the things that were mentioned above. If there are eggs, they would hatch in about 10 days I think, so I don't need to let my guard down. Just can't stand the thought of those nasty little boogers in my house! Yuck!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us