Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Washing machine - repair or replace?

Last post Mon, May 18 2009 8:44 AM by rspjmp. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 10 2009 6:50 PM

Washing machine - repair or replace?

Our 9 year old Maytag washer appears to need a new pump.  Dh could do the repair and a quick Google search says I can order one for around $100.00, but I'm wondering if my machine's too old to be spending that much on.

Have any of you had much luck with DIY repairs on washing machines?  Should I put the money toward a new one down the road and just let this one play out...whatcha think???  Liz.

• Sun, May 10 2009 7:29 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Washing machine - repair or replace?

Our ge washer is about 12 yrs old and we have spent about $250 over the years fixing it.   twice service guys $100 and once dh fixed. all plastic parts that needed replacing.  really who has the main part the agitator into a plastic gear!  

otherwise is has been a work horse 10 loads a week average for the last 7yrs so can't complain.  working fine.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, May 10 2009 9:30 PM In reply to

My dad has sucessfully replaced water pumps several times on their various washing machines.  I honestly don't remember though how old the machines were when they needed replacing, I'd say a 9 yr old machine needing a new pump isn't out of the question.  I want to say that pretty much that's all he usually ends up needing to replace on the machine and gets at least 3-4 years more out of it.  I come from a large family as well, several loads sometimes are done per day. 
    Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, May 10 2009 9:58 PM In reply to

My Mom's machine was bought in 1976 or 77.  Dad just moved last year.  The machine lasted with do it yourself fixes.  It took heavy use until about 1995.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sun, May 10 2009 10:13 PM In reply to

It seems the older ones lasted so much longer - I guess I'm just questioning if this 'newer' one's worth fixing tho I know you can't predict what will go wrong and when.  Dh has already replaced the timer, so maybe it's worth spending the hundred bucks. 

Do you mostly buy the parts on line or locally?  I think the appliance store in town would have to order it, like I would, since I had to wait awhile to get a stove part I ordered some time back from them.

We priced new washers over the weekend and the size I'd want's around $400.00-450.00, sheesh, been awhile since I shopped for appliances!  Liz

• Mon, May 11 2009 8:31 AM In reply to

I agree that the older ones lasted so much longer.  Our old washer (that came with the house) lasted almost 20 years (with repairs) before we finally replaced it.  At 9 years old, I would probably still try to repair the new one.  If it has another issue later, then I would replace.

• Mon, May 11 2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Have you priced the cost of new washers lately? If not, be prepared for some sticker shock unless you're buying the absolute cheapest. Spending $100 to fix an existing washer (providing it's not too old) is cheap.

Also, Maytags aren't anywhere near what they used to be in longevity or quality. We bought a Maytag dishwasher several years back, and it lasted less than 3 years. The handle broke off the top, and the way it was attached we would have had to replace the entire electronics panel on it. So we bought another dishwasher instead, and when it was installed we found out the plastic tub on the Maytag dishwasher was split and was leaking.

Jill

• Mon, May 11 2009 8:25 PM In reply to

I'm not too impressed with brand names anymore.  I've had too many supposedly wonderful brand name stuff break down or fail completely and find out too late that the company sold-out, either literally to another, lesser manufacturer or figuratively by cheapening the components of the product.  So Maytag doesn't mean too much to me. 

I think we're going to take the chance and order the part - I can do a quick hundred easier than four or five!  Thanks, everybody!  Liz

• Sun, May 17 2009 6:21 PM In reply to

Hi

I sent this in to the newsletter but realize you probably need help NOW, so thought I would post her also:

Why not join FreeCycle and put out a Want for a working washer?  I did that for my son about this time last year and he received a HE washer that was pratically new - a son returning home from college had nowhere to store his and his mom put it on FreeCycle.  It's a great resource - you can even ask for a motor and maybe someone will have one - and FREE cycle means its free - the objective is to keep things our of landfills -  I have a wonderful chest freezer I've been using 3 years that I got from a fellow Freecycler.  Just make sure you specify WORKING washer. 

Look for the one in your area here:  http://www.freecycle.org/

They are worldwide.

If you need a part for any appliance (Free advice also) I belong to Mary Hunt's Debt Proof Living
    Newsletter and one of the most valuable tips I've gotten from it is to purchase parts from this store:

http://www.repairclinic.com/Home.aspx?Mary=1

If you sign up for Mary's letter she may have a discount you can use to get parts here/ discounts for other places:

http://www.everydaycheapskate.com/

I've saved lots of money and time with Mary.

I hope this helps you - its rough being without a washer.

Ila in Maine

• Mon, May 18 2009 8:44 AM In reply to

• rspjmp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 18 2009
    • Posts 1

We have had great luck with repairs - go to Repairclinic.com - they not only have the parts, very reasonably priced, but give you directions on how to fix your product.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us