Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Using PC to Replace Cable TV

Last post Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:43 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 5 2009 3:44 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Using PC to Replace Cable TV

From a reader:

My husband just found out he is losing his job. One of the major expenses we would like to eliminate is our cable bill. We are not big TV watchers but we do have 3 HD TVs. I have heard you can watch TV from the web via your TV. We have heard everything from you need a special box to just use the you game console to assess the internet and watch away. Do you have any advice?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, May 5 2009 4:04 PM In reply to

• tooney58
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 25 2007
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 180

Re: Using PC to Replace Cable TV

http://www.hulu.com/

You can also go to the networks homepages and watch tv there.  Also there are local channels online.  

We dropping our Dish subscription this month.

Linda

• Tue, May 5 2009 4:12 PM In reply to

We do this ourselves.  You need to connect your computer to your TV.  If your TV has a computer input then you literally just plug your computer into your TV as if the TV was a "monitor".  We did have to buy a cable to do this, I want to say it was around $30.  My hubby wasn't able to get the sound from the TV (he's not very technically savvy, I am sure there is a way to do it).  So we have the sound through computer speakers.  You'll need to get a wireless router if you have more than one computer and you want one dedicated to just the TV (we had an old computer that had a fried power supply, we replaced it and it is hooked up to our living room TV).  You can then access TV on any number of websites (hulu.com, justintv.com to name a few).  We've never had cable, but we bought a new TV and decided since we had the extra computer we might as well hook it up, we love it.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, May 5 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

Also, most major non-cable networks have their shows online now on a short delay (usually less than 24 hours); so, you can still watch your favorites.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Tue, May 5 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

If the reader is not in the U.S. she may not be able to watch the videos on some of the online sites. As a Canadian I have limited access to what U.S. shows we are able to watch online. Some Canadian channels do have TV shows online for us though - for example Global (www.globaltv.com) has shows like House, 24, etc. and CTV (http://www.ctv.ca/programs) has Lost, Grey's Anatomy etc.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Wed, May 13 2009 3:18 PM In reply to

We have a HD TV and we hook the game strait to it. No special box is needed. We have a PS2 and a X-box no probs with either.

cyn

• Wed, Dec 9 2009 1:08 AM In reply to

You have to use just a PC card to see channels online in your pc.It is the easiest way.

• Wed, Dec 9 2009 8:35 AM In reply to

Hi all,

I have been watching some shows on hulu.com from my pc and loving it.

I just tried to access justintv but that site did not work. Hmmmm...

Well, someday maybe my cable has to go too, but will wait until after the holidays.

;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:23 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I think we're talking about two ways to watch TV here. One is to watch specific shows that are availabe online. Those are copied and uploaded to a server, like hulu.com The other way is to use special hardware to pick up cable shows without having to pay a cable bill. Does anyone have any light to shed on this?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• cmouse01
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 24 2008
    • Wisconsin
    • Posts 227

DS had an article in Jun: Replacing Cable TV with Your PC.   http://www.stretcher.com/stories/09/09jun01a.cfm

Articles from Kim Komando:

How to use your PC as a personal video recorder (PVR): http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=387

and how to use the TV as a monitor (must be a member of her site, but I think you can get free 10-day trial): http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=3187.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us