Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Natural or Home Made Alternative to Cleaner

Last post 01-15-2012 10:21 PM by cheapChic. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-12-2007 1:16 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Natural or Home Made Alternative to Cleaner

With a job as a fisherman comes the fragrance of it. For those who have never had this experience...IT STINKS! Shrimp juice and water that other seafood has been in can rot very quickly especially in the heat. This means everything that comes into contact with it smells.

I am using Crest-o-mint mint oil in the wash to kill the odor. I am looking for alternative things to try that may help, any ideas?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 08-12-2007 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Natural or Home Made Alternative to Cleaner

Brandy, you've probably tried pert-near everything, but in case you haven't, try the liquid Lysol - the old-fasioned kind that comes in a brown bottle.  Years ago after a housefire, it's the only thing that took the smoke smell out all our clothing and linens.  I feel for ya on this one - I can't abide any strong odor, anymore.  Only thing, sometimes the cure's worse than the bite - some of those cleansers smell pretty bad!  Liz
  • 08-12-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

The mint oil I am using is the competition for that Lysol. I can't stand the smell of the Lysol so I prefer this to it. But it kills me to pay $2 a bottle and only get a few washes out of it.

• 08-12-2007 3:51 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Have you tried a strong vinegar rinse?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-12-2007 3:55 PM In reply to

LOL, oh, okay, same thing, then.  Ouch on the price - how about tea tree oil?  Dd uses it quite a bit, she's into making her own natural haircare and body stuff.  She also says to try lavender essential oil.  A little goes a long way, she says and you'd need to cut it with something or put it into the wash or rinse cycle and not use it straight up on anything.  And be sure the lavender says, 'essential' on it.  Liz
  • 08-12-2007 8:35 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I use vinegar and lavender essential oil in the rinse water, it's not cutting the smell.

• 08-12-2007 9:23 PM In reply to

Oh, brother.  I'm outta ideas, sorry!  Confused

Dd has to soak her work clothes in the machine with hot water and a detergent containing Febreze overnight.  She then runs them thru a regular cycle the next day, putting vinegar or baking soda in the rinse, and hangs them on the line only on hot, sunny days.  Otherwise, they go in a hot dryer, and they still smell slightly of sour milk from the ice cream store/dairy where she works.  Yes, the process has faded the uniform prematurely and it's not exactly a frugal wash method, but it's the only one that works.  Keep trying different combinations, maybe you'll hit on something...Liz

• 08-12-2007 9:33 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

If I could wash his clothes often, it wouldn't be so bad but he is bringing in his laundry that has been sitting in the heat for over a week. Eww.

I'll try a hot water soak. It's something I haven't tried yet. Thanks for that tip.

• 08-12-2007 10:56 PM In reply to

I feel for you! Have you tried Amaze? and borax?  Amaze is for baby stuff but is good for smells etc. One thing I picked up from the dollar stretcher when my towels were going smelling even though they were washed right away was using ammonia in the wash. Worked. about 1/2 cup.  I wasn't using the hot water cycle for towels etc but discovered with kids and the amount food etc that comes with them, it started making things smell even though I washed every day and always put in borax or something.  I had only used hot water wash for cloth diapers, pee clothes ..you get the picture:)  but now all sheets and towels are washed on hot and I don't have a problem. I don't have to use ammonia anymore.

My Family's Interests
  • 08-12-2007 11:16 PM In reply to

Brandy,

I just had an idea. I don't know if this would help or not, but lemon juice is supposed to kill the smell of fish on your hands after working with it, right? At least that's what I thought I had heard. Could you try soaking one item in a bucket with water and lemon juice? Maybe it would remove the fish smell. Might be worth a try anyway.

Kathy

Ok, I just googled getting the smell of fish out of clothes and wound up on the Thriftyfun web site for a thread about the smell of fish in clothes. There were two responses I thought might be helpful to you.

One said they worked in a Salmon processing plant and that hanging the clothes in the sun for a prolonged period, up to three days, helped to rid the clothes of much of the odor, which made it easier for the detergents to do their job. This person had good luck with it.

The next response was using a product called Right Stuff citrus cleaner. about a cup to the laundry, but I am not sure if it was a full load.

Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us