Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

May Food Stamps

Last post Mon, May 31 2010 10:52 PM by ili71. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 1 2009 10:59 PM

May Food Stamps

Eat well, be happy, be frugal---share your food stamp travels through the month of May!

• Mon, May 4 2009 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: May Food Stamps

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum as I just found it googlign about Food Stamps. I have had food stamps for several months now and actually just renewed it and got the money last month for the renewal. Something strange is going on this month. I am supposed to get it the 2nd of every month in NJ. Family members told me to wait until Monday(today) to see if it gets refilled. I did and caleld the line to check the balance. It still states I have only 5 cents, which is all I had left for last month. I called the local board of social services to ask about this and was told it wasnt processed yet we are doing the best we can. She may of thought I was referring to a new application when I stated have not received my food stamps. If you guys suggest I will call back to ask again and be very clear as I am in this thread that have not received the benefits for this new month. I am located in NJ. Does anyone know why my balance has not been refilled yet when it has been going fine for a while now? Again, it did get renewed 2 months ago and worked fine last month. Any help is appreciated!
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I would call back and explain more in detail what has happened, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:17 AM In reply to

Babs, thanks for the fast reply. I just called back. The woman I spoke to was very rude. Sounds like she was pretty I guess overwhelmed with the current economy. She asked if I called earlier once I explained we have not got refilled this month and its still the balance from last month. I stated yes we did call, but I wanted to explain more. She asked if due for appointment or anything which I stated we were just down there 2 months ago and got the balance refilled just fine last month. She again stated she did not process them yet and has been telling people it will be late this month. She asked for my case number and told me that again saying she is doing the best that she can. Does this sound strange to anyone else? I assumed the ebt was automated, but it seems its not and that its processed at the local office by just one person. Does this sound normal? Considering the way she sounded I didn't decide to ask if could estimate when it would be processed. Hopefully it will show up within the next week. Desperately need it as I am out of work and am strugging with the bills as it is. Truly living by the skin of my teeth as they say.
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:43 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

I know in Illinois it is automates. I get mine on the first. My card is credited around midnight to 12:15 in the morning. Even if the first is on a holiday or on Sunday I get them. I got My 140 dollars. I spent 46 dollars At IGA Friday and I got 94 dollars left to help pay on my Angel Food this month.
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:45 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

smithjohn I hope you get your food stamps soon.
  • Mon, May 4 2009 2:43 PM In reply to

• susie48
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 19 2009
    • Posts 60

Hi John, I am also new here. I got a letter in the mail explaining the program and saying that my May benefits would start on May 1st (I had half of the month of April). So I log in and also call the number on the back of the EBT card and it still says a few cents, which I was also left with. My caseworker does not return calls so I went down to the office. They told me that the letter is wrong and I will start in mid-May. It's a good thing that I stocked up on food (that's why I was left with only a few cents). I will be fine food-wise but they are so disorganized. I left there with a terrible headache from frustration and yes, rudeness, being shuffled from one room to another, waiting for my number to be called. If you call the number on the back of your card, they should tell you your anniversary date, when your next benefits will appear. I feel badly for you because I know what it's like to keep logging on and it says the same amount. Had they told me that in the first place, I wouldn't have freaked out. I am hoping it works out next week and no glitches. Please let us know what happens!
  • Mon, May 4 2009 7:52 PM In reply to

mine is due to be refilled tomorrow so i am hoping no problems for me. usually mine is filled at 6 in the morning... i hope to go to bjs and try them out since there was a free trial membership online for them..
    Did you know 1 in 100 kids are diagnosed with autism
    most of those are boys
    PROUD MOM OF A SON WITH AUTISM

-One of the largest problems with having an Aspergers child is people don't always see a child with a disability, they think the child is just acting out or undisciplined, when in reality, they are merely striving to blend in.
  • Tue, May 5 2009 9:42 AM In reply to

Thanks all for the kind words and information. Its a new day and my balance is still the same. I have a friend who is also on Food Stamps and his just refilled fine. A few months ago he had this same issue and ended up having to go down to the office. After a song and dance with them they claimed there was some comptuer glitch that cuased his account to disconnect. I really hate goign down to their office. They are so disorganized the board of social services its like one of the worst places to have to go, but its looking like I will have no choice as the woman that answers the phone clearly doesn't want to help anyone over the phone. Do you think I would be better off talking to an operator on the ebt line to ask what is going on? I was actually trying that yesterday, but after 20 mins of it saying all are busy and please wait I was having enough. Going to give it another try today though I think and hopefully they will be more helpful.
  • Tue, May 5 2009 9:51 AM In reply to

• susie48
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 19 2009
    • Posts 60

If you're talking about the EBT phone number on the back of the card, you probably know that this is just JPMorgan Bank and they don't answer our questions except to tell you the date your benefits will begin again. Did you ask them that? That will be accurate and can save you the trip. I also hated to have to go down there but the best thing is to be the first one there so you don't have to wait too long. Between the receptionist and calling JP, they confirmed the date. Are you sure of the date?
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us