Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Are you a one car or two car family?

Last post Tue, Jul 7 2009 10:39 PM by Brandy. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 20 2009 12:47 PM

Are you a one car or two car family?

We are a one car...err truck...family, not including my son's truck. We went down to one car this past winter because it was just costing so much to have a second car, when I don't work outside the home and dh has a work van provided for him. Not only don't we have to maintain another car, but i don't have to keep gas in it, or pay $36-$60 a month for insurance.

I must say we find ourselves looking at a $2000 Chevy Blazer and a $2000 Chrysler Concorde. The thing that stops me is that I have enjoyed the reduced expenses every month and how it's helped ease the budget. There's still part of me that wishes I had my own ride again, just to feel that it's 'mine' as i've had my own car since I was 16, so this is a new experience. I use self discipline...believe me it's not easy....and walk away, knowing that that's one less major expense I have to worry about.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 12:59 PM In reply to

Re: Are you a one car or two car family?

We are one car family for now.  DH can't drive and he will never be approved by the DMV to drive in the future.  I'm sure DD will have a car when she's a teenager (granted certain obligations are met), but that's 11 years away.  I'm happy with the car we have now.  The biggest drawback to being the only driver is that whenever there's an appt of any kind, I have to take off work to get the stuff done, so I try very hard to plan as carefully as possible.  If I have a vacation week coming up, I'll call every dr we have and make necessary appts so I can get as much done as possible during that week off.  Normally this is not such a big deal, but certain times of the year it's a big pain in the tookus.

It's also a pain when I have to make ride arrangements for myself -- like next Monday when I have surgery.  My mom will take DH and I there and DH will wait with me so that my mom can spend the bulk of her doing her stuff.  When it's time for me to go home, DH will call my mom so she can come get us.  I'm sure that's annoying to her, too, b/c she has things that need to be done.  My mom will also have to pick up DD from school and bring her home.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Apr 20 2009 1:06 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Michelle, does your husband get to drive his work vehicle home?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 1:12 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Michelle, does your husband get to drive his work vehicle home?

Yes, because we live about 12 miles from the shop. If he lived further away, he probably won't be allowed to.

His previous employer took all the company vans away from the guys to reduce their fleet expense. It's the new trend now. Lots of contracting companies are requiring the installers to provide their own truck and tools....where that wasn't norm before.

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 1:33 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    Lots of contracting companies are requiring the installers to provide their own truck and tools....where that wasn't norm before.

Many companies down here have been doing it for a few years now. It's a big expense for the worker to carry though.

If he currently has use of the van, then in essence you are a three vehicle family and you want to add a fourth vehicle. I assume your husband uses the family/your vehicle for personal driving. How often is he really doing that?

Unless his use really interferes with your ability to conduct daily life and manage necessary errands then I think it would be better to not purchase another vehicle now.

In saying that, I am not suggesting you believe that your husband's job is stable and he won't need a work vehicle at some point in the near future. I just believe your money is better off working for you in a savings account that gets interest. Take the amount you estimate the vehicle would cost and park it in a savings account, estimate what the insurance and other routine expenses would be and put that amount into savings each month. See how that works for a bit for you.

If you really want to get harsh and have some shock therapy, think of all the things that could go wrong with the vehicle. Write each one on a slip of paper with the amount a repair would cost. For each problem, write "Whew, the car runs O.K" on four slips. Put all the slips in a jar and each week pull one. Take the amount of the expense if one comes up and put it in that savings account.

I believe you will either save up a decent amount of money when you decide to buy and have insurance and emergency funds for a bit to rely on or your desire for a car will be cured. Either way you win.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

We are a two car family but last summer we loaned one of our vehicles to our son for a few months. We're both retired but my husband worked 3 part time jobs so he had the car the majority of the time. It was an interesting challenge because I thought I'd go through major with-drawl not having my own car, but it worked out just fine. The cost of gas was a big motivating factor. We plan to sell my husbands SUV to our son, go down to one car over the summer again and buy another SUV in the fall. I agree with Cinnamonhuskies, that you can find creative ways to manage without two cars, and its good practice. And we did save money.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Apr 20 2009 2:02 PM In reply to

Prior to 1995 we both had cars. My doctor and I finally got Mom to give up driving. She has diabetic neuropathy & she couldn't feel the pedals under her feet.

After that we downsized to one car.

Once upon a time all 4 of us had cars. Gas was cheaper in those days.

Now it is just me. There are days when I'd love to have a second car, but I try to be practical.

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 2:04 PM In reply to

"If he currently has use of the van, then in essence you are a three vehicle family and you want to add a fourth vehicle"

I still say one car family. One car is all i'm responsible for. The work van is not ours, and has GPS in it so the shop knows it goes straight home and straight to work. Ds owns his truck, and the insurance, and the bills.

I am a gear head girl, always have been, always will be.Embarrassed Although I have been thinking about getting a motorcycle like my friend Barb.Surprise

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 2:06 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    If you really want to get harsh and have some shock therapy, think of all the things that could go wrong with the vehicle. Write each one on a slip of paper with the amount a repair would cost. For each problem, write "Whew, the car runs O.K" on four slips. Put all the slips in a jar and each week pull one. Take the amount of the expense if one comes up and put it in that savings account.

Brandy, this is such a great idea.  I wonder how I could use it for other purchases...?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Apr 20 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

For the present , we are a three car family. DH has an older Mustang that he only drives in the good weather. He parks in for the winter for two reasons. Doesnt go good in the snow and the salt on the road would ruin it.

I have a Ford Explorer, our second one. We bought it from an estate sale when my old on e died. It has been our winter snow car.

We recently bought an older Jimmy, 4 wheel drive. We only paid $2,000 for it.  I had cash saved so no load to buy it.The car repair man was selling for a customer. He had repaired it and then the person couldnt pay for repairs. We decided to buy it becuase it was in good shape for the price. This past winter, I needed a 4 wheel avalible when my Mom was sick and had to go to Dr. DH kept having to come and drive her or be at work with no car. That doesnt work for him as a pastor. He needs a car for emergencies and there is always one with someone.

Our insurance only increased $45 a quarter to add the third car. We didnt feel that was a bad price to pay for the peace of mind to be able to go out in the snow.  In the past, my Mom had a car but sold it when she could no longer drive. "Babs 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us