Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Long Can You Carry Over Food Stamp Balance?

Last post 04-20-2009 12:01 AM by latenightleader. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2009 9:07 PM

How Long Can You Carry Over Food Stamp Balance?

Hi, I am new here and glad to have found this board. I don't plan to have a whole lot to carry over but would like to know what would happen if I used only 50 of the 200 (in NY) and then next month did the same and accumulated 400 or 500 dollars by the summer. Is there a limit to how much you can carry over? Also, when you get recertified, do you lose what you saved? How often do they call you to recertify? I was nervous when I went to apply and didn't think of these questions until afterwards. Thank you.
  • 04-19-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: How Long Can You Carry Over Food Stamp Balance?

I live in NC and here you may carry over the balance until you are no longer eligible to receive them. One of my friends was on them for a while and when it was coming up on time to be terminated, she went to the store and stocked up on non-perishables. She had over $700 rolled over with a little left each month, it added up! I would check online to see if there are any guidelines for your state. I cannot remember the name of the site. Since you have so much, I would stock up on non-perishables or things for hte freezer.

Tracy, do know the name of the site? Thanks!

Lynn

• 04-20-2009 12:01 AM In reply to

Re: How Long Can You Carry Over Food Stamp Balance?

I do!  First, from the frequently asked questions:

18. Do I have to use all my SNAP benefits up in the month that I receive them, or will they be carried over into the next month?

Any benefits that you have remaining in your SNAP EBT account at the end of the month WILL be carried over into the next month. However, if you have not used your EBT card at all for one year, the State will permanently remove your SNAP benefits from your EBT account.

Next, the website.  This is a national website, all info should be the same for all of us.  

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm

Personally, I am trying to really build the balance on my card, and then can use it for the year following a new job, when we will have job costs, but not SNAP.  It will be nice to have something to depend on to get fresh food, plus keep paying the bills!

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us