Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

Last post Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:34 PM by maxmiller. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 8:59 AM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

Re: How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

KateHC:
    Actually, that's bleach and ammonia.

Agreed it is ammonia/chlorine that make chlorine gas but chlorine mixed with vinegar is not a pleasant combo. I know - I accidentally did the same thing with the same products that cycler mentioned. I wiped a surface down with the Fantastic and then went over it with a bucket that was vinegar and water. I ended up with a bad headache and trouble breathing for a while even with all our windows open. You're right it's best to give it a rest, and a wipe down with plain water, between cleaners.

Some people do use vinegar and bleach together but here's a quick article about why we probably shouldn't do that:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/26/the-killing-power-of-bleach-and-vinegar.htm
    "We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 9:30 AM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 29 2008
    • Posts 325

Yikes!  Thanks for adding that.  I had no idea.  All this time I thought I was fine because I don't use ammonia at all in the house...because of the pets, I try really hard to not do anything that has really vile fumes.

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 9:50 AM In reply to

Since you are going to paint it, prime it first with KILZ. I had an insulation fire which smoke damage to wood floor boards. The SMELL was awful.

Restoration company advised painting well with KILZ...worked great. Here is website: www.kilz.com Try to get the one that is best for covering odor and

paint well. Good luck, Ruthellen

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 9:53 AM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

KateHC:
    because of the pets, I try really hard to not do anything that has really vile fumes.

Me too! 3 cats here and DH and I are pretty sensitive to chemicals too. Can't stand bleach at all but we had the Fantastic in the house so I tried it on a stain when we moved in. I forgot the rinse water had vinegar in it. Bad choice but at least we were all ok.

The article within the article that I linked to is pretty scary - the mixture kills anthrax!! It's fine for biodefense experts with the biohazard suits to play with these mixtures but I only want a relatively clean home. Personally, I think we as a society are a little germ-phobic when we should be more chemical-phobic. All these chemical fumes are bad for the lungs, wreak havoc on allergy-sufferers and are just a little too scary for me to use in my home. (/end rant)

Sorry to highjack the thread cycler. I think that was an awesome find, especially for free! Good luck with geting it cleaned up and painted. Big Smile

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 11:46 AM In reply to

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 26 2007
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

Kilz is a great idea - I've seen it in my hardware store but I thought that it was only to paint light over dark.

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 11:53 AM In reply to

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

Not to worry - hijack happens!  I too don't use anything that has a scent because I am very sensitive. 

I won't use the vinegar.  Last night I put baking soda on the shelves and sealed the door shut.

I'm going to get the coffee hopefully tomorrow and then I'll take the baking soda out and put the coffee in and seal the door shut for about a week and then I'll paint it (Kilz first).

If that doesn't work I don't think anything will (except possibly an ionizer which might pay considering this is a gorgeous piece!)

This is a great forum - you are all so helpful!

Susan

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

Update - I bought coffee today (what was on sale) and I put the whole thing on paper towels on each shelf.

Now my apartment smells like a coffee shop but that is not bad!  I figure that I'll keep it there for a week and then see how it is.  Possibly air it out for a couple of days before painting.  Wood does absorb smells so even if it replaces what it was, it'll be much better.

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• soohum
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 23 2011
    • Posts 1

Hi there!

I realize this string is already a couple of years old but thought I would add my 2 cents in case someone finds it useful.   I once rented an apartment that had been previously lived in by a chain smoker, and I have a sensitive nose.  The carpets were changed and the place was painted, which took care of 90% of the problem, but a lingering stench remained in the bathroom cabinets, which were old wood.  There was a combination of cigarettes and febreze plus some other awful stenches mixed in.  In my opinion febreze is a scourge to humanity--its stench by far overpowers any smell it could be trying to cover up.  

So the solution (thanks to a wonderful Mexican cleaning lady) was to scrub down the inside of the cabinets with lots and lots of Murphy's Oil Soap.  No water at all, just a dry cloth and loads of Murphy's Oil. It was miraculous.  The stench did periodically return, but then I never had it dealt with again.  Periodic Murphys Oiling may have fixed the problem forever.  Plus I love the smell of Murphy's Oil soap. It smells clean, fresh, woody and wholesome to me.  I can't stand most smells either, pine sol included, so Murphy is the only thing I will use on my floors, even the tile ones, just for the fresh smell.

Incidentally, recently I lent our car to a gal to demo a product for me.  Big mistake.  I got the car back with a cigarette butt, a cigar wrapper, and a massive febreze stench.  I've left it open for several days in a row to combat the stench in the leather (and probably the felt walls and roof).  I woke up this morning with the idea to use Murphys Oil Soap on the leather, googled it and confirmed that it's good on leather. I just washed down the leather with Murphys and it made an instant difference.  There is still a faint lingering febreze smell but only 10% of what it was.  Maybe if I'm bold I'll mix some with water and spray-squirt it onto the felt walls and ceiling... :)

Good luck!

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:37 PM In reply to

Cindy my sister use's murphies oil and I do that also put get a dry rag over it to get excess water off of the wood,

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

murphys oil is also good for washing wool blankets.  my mom does it with the hudson bay blankets and then hangs them..cheaper then drycleaning.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 2 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us