Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

Last post Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:34 PM by maxmiller. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 7:31 PM

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 26 2007
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

I know that it seems absurd but I think that someone used Febreeze in a cabinet and it really smells.

I was riding my bike and I saw a gorgeous wooden kitchen cabinet (6 feet tall, 15" wide - exactly what I've been looking for) that someone had put out for the trash so I locked my bike and I lugged it home.  When I got it into my kitchen I noticed the smell of Febreeze (hard to miss - it is truly one of the most awful smells!) so I took out all of the shelves and scrubbed it using Fantastic w/bleach (a great product).  It is a lot better on the outside but when I open the door it's still there.

So - any ideas on how to get rid of the smell?  I want to paint it and I think that that might take away a lot of the smell but I still want to get rid of as much before doing that.

Since it isn't fabric, there's no way to wash it or air it out (there's no window in my kitchen).  I was thinking of putting a cup of vinegar on each shelf but I don't know if that's just a waste of time (and vinegar).

Thanks!

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 7:39 PM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

Re: How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

Try putting a bowl of Charcoal in the cabinet and shutting the doors to it for a couple of days.....the charcoal should absorb the frebreeze odors. The plain ole charcoal that you use in a BBQ, just don't use the kind tha tis pre-saturated with lighter fluid.....

Until we Newf again....
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 7:58 PM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 29 2008
    • Posts 325

Coffee-- either bowls of beans or grounds, shut up there  for a few days. 

I can't blame you, Febreeze gets to me too. 

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 9:07 PM In reply to

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

It's just that I think that it was absorbed into the wood (being porous) so whatever I use will need to be absorbed also.

Coffee - fresh grounds? I'm not sure what to use.

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 9:28 PM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

Any of the other ideas should work: coffee, charcoal, vinegar. You could also try laying newpaper down or sprinkle baking soda or put a cup with baking soda inside the cabinet. It may take a few days before the smell transfers to the other medium though.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 9:37 PM In reply to

cycler:
    I want to paint it and I think that that might take away a lot of the smell but I still want to get rid of as much before doing that.
      Since you want to paint it anyway, you don't need to worry about any "dulling the finish" issues.I would sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda straight out of the box onto each shelf, close the door & let it sit for a couple of days.  Wipe out with a damp rag.  If you can still smell the Febreze, do it again.  When you are finished "deodorizing" the cabinet, wipe it out well with a rag wrung out in water with just a little vinegar in it, to neutralize the baking soda & you should be ready to paint. What a find - great job!! - Marivene

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 11:14 PM In reply to

• cycler
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • New York City
    • Posts 60

Thanks - I was thrilled - I've needed exactly this type of cabinet for a couple of years (tiny NYC kitchens!) and every time I went "scavenging" I kept hoping to get one but not really believing that there'd be one out on the street.

I put contact paper on the shelves after scrubbing them because the smell of the contact paper usually is so strong that it overpowers everything else.  It's the "walls" that need to be scrubbed a couple of times I guess - I'll do the vinegar scrub next and the coffee after that.

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 5:03 AM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 325

Everything I've read says take either beans or a bowl of ground coffee (can be really small) and just leave them to sit.   I've never really tried that one myself.

Also, maybe some cedar chips in a bowl?   If you have a friend with a small pet, maybe you could ask for some? 

Just was thinking-- even if you get rid of the smell FOR NOW, you may want to keep a small bowl of baking soda in there for the next six months or so in an unobtrusive corner.  My experience with reeky chemical smells like that is that you can get rid of them temporarily, but they can come back on you in a while if you don't leave some baking soda in there.

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:54 AM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

cycler:
    I'll do the vinegar scrub next and the coffee after that.

I just realized that you said you used Fantastic with bleach as your first attempt. Please don't use that and vinegar together. The fumes from the two mixed would be terrible because mixing vinegar and bleach creates a form of chlorine gas.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 8:39 AM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 325

mikasha:

cycler:
    I'll do the vinegar scrub next and the coffee after that.

I just realized that you said you used Fantastic with bleach as your first attempt. Please don't use that and vinegar together. The fumes from the two mixed would be terrible because mixing vinegar and bleach creates a form of chlorine gas.

Actually, that's bleach and ammonia.  But it's still a good idea to let things rest between cleaners. 

Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us