Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dishes from different countries

Last post Fri, Mar 20 2009 12:29 AM by gayla50. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 4:08 PM

Dishes from different countries

Sometimes I will fix different dishes something like Italian, Mexican, Chinese just to change our menu up sometimes does anyone else ever do this?

• Mon, Mar 9 2009 4:19 PM In reply to

Re: Dishes from different countries

Oh yeah! I grew up with lots of tex-mex, which can be a real budget stretcher. I use that a lot! Fried rice is always a good budget stretcher: a little bacon, a few chopped veggies, and some rice fill hungry bellies well!

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

Yep, we do it frequently. Meat, vegetable and starch still present in almost any different nationality. It's the different prep and sauces/or spices which make it unique and tasty.

Erika
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 5:07 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

we live in a very diverse ethnic community  so we eat lots of different things.   There is easy recipes in every culture to use.  mexican and italian are big in our house.  we go out for chinese, japanese etc.

when we had brazilian students I looked up recipes and discovered a lot of similar ones to italian and mexican style ones.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Quite often... Mexican, Italian and Chinese are favorites here. I don't get fancy with them, but try to stay as authentic as possible.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 5:40 PM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 29 2008
    • Posts 325

I've been slowly learning to cook some indian and chinese dishes.  I'm not vey good yet--they taste good, but not "right", so it's more like faux indian or faux chinese.   

I love a lot of ethnic spices, so I just throw those randomly in stir-fry stuff, too.  I like the Thai ones with mint and lemongrass in that PB & J stirfry that I posted. 

• Mon, Mar 9 2009 11:00 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... and thank you LadyofGrace for listing this site ... it has some really great recipes!

• Tue, Mar 10 2009 2:47 AM In reply to

I sure do. My normal style of cooking is what Mom called French.

I do stir-fry dishes, Italian dishes, Greek dishes, German foods, Southern foods, and other types of cooking.

• Tue, Mar 10 2009 10:46 AM In reply to

Dear All, FORGIVE ME for remakign the wheel, as so many of you already know this:  I have become quite effective at cooking scrumptious but SO CHEAP East Indian dishes!  It is a wonder what the right spices can do to plain old legumes!  I have NEVER been able to cook so thriftily.  I tried LORD KRISHNA'S CUISINE in the past, but the author's recipes are expensive.  Now that I have Malvi Doshi's COOKING ALONG THE GANGES (most cheap) & also Julie Sahni's CLASSIC INDIAN VEGETARIAN & GRAIN COOKING, I am able to cook meals that cost less than 50cents/serving -- although I serve the meals with $1/serving organic Kefir (a kind of liquid yoghurt, with many more cultures), I am still doing very well indeed.  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us