Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Depression Recipes on Youtube

Last post Fri, Oct 18 2013 7:41 AM by babsagain. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 28 2009 5:40 PM

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

Depression Recipes on Youtube

There was a segment a few days ago on Good Morning America, with a 93 year old woman named Clara. She was talking about what it was like growing up through the great depression. She has quite a few video's on youtube with step-by-step instructions on the recipes the families survived on. For 93 years old, Clara is a AMAZING woman. Her grandson is doing the video's, while she is cooking & explaining the steps. I made the potatoes/onion and hotdog meal this afternoon. The cost was apprx. $1.35 for the potatoes, onions and 3 hotdogs I used, easily would feed 4 people. My potatoes and hotdog meal came out awesome. There is even enough left over for 2-3 meals of it. I plan on trying all of Clara's recipes, I think there is about 12 video's so far. While Clara is preparing her dishes, she talks about what it was like living thru the great depression. She tells it, like it was, she even has quite a sense of humor. Like she says, it was so hard living thru it, but we did MAKE it thru. From the food items I have seen so far in the few video's of Clara's, I am willing to bet, a family of 4 could easily eat for 1 month for less than $100.00. Here is the link to the Clara Videos...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

Until we Newf again....
  • Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:01 AM In reply to

Re: Depression Recipes on Youtube

Dear Newfs, I just chose to watch just a bit right now of Clara's recipe demonstrations, but it's a keeper, & I'll return to it for sure!  Thanks for having shared!  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Mar 1 2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

they are great.  I had watched the potato,onion,hotdog one before but yesterday watched everyone but the fig cookies.  a couple I wouldn't make without more spices like the pasta and the soup.  the hot bread  yuck.  but I don't like bread pudding etc but I have a choice, if it was the depression of course I would have grown up on it.

the bread seems really basic like french bread.

the potato,onion, hotdog dish is something I have made before with hashbrowns and sausage or reg potatos.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Mar 1 2009 2:35 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

she the best ..  I love her she a simple cook .                      

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Mar 1 2009 7:59 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I went to watch one or two and wound up watching almost all of them. She's very good at 93! Mom cooked like she does and I learned to cook that way, so much of it was familiar. Onions and potatoes with hotdogs or even a little sausage crumbled into them was a staple at home but I hadn't thought of it for a long time! Thanks for the link.   

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, Mar 1 2009 8:45 PM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

I watched those videos a few weeks ago and I thought she was amazing! She reminded me very much of my great aunt (who also grew up during the Depression). Even if you don't use the recipes, she is definitely a joy to watch. I hope I am that active at 93!

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Sun, Mar 1 2009 10:19 PM In reply to

• mrs_q
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2008
    • Posts 67

I watched them last week and loved them. Just listening to her stories is worth watching them. I think what her grandson is doing is wonderful so many people don't take the time to learn from the older generations, at least not among my peers. They think that because their grandparents/parents did not grow up with computers, text msg. etc. they are stupid. Angry  I only had one grandparent growing up, my great grandmother. She was born in 1885 and lived to be 100, I was eight when she passed and always wished someone would have made some home movies of her telling stories of her life.

• Mon, Mar 2 2009 11:35 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Newfs:
    I am willing to bet, a family of 4 could easily eat for 1 month for less than $100.00

I have not found many sites that offer promising depression era recipes. I am finding many would actually be pricy meals in my kitchen.

The Ritz Mock Apple Pie is one that would be more expensive for me. It calls for Ritz crackers, cream of tartar, lemon juice and a lemon. I think I could spend less buying a premade pie crust and a can of filling from the Dollar General.

WHAT IS finnan haddie?? I am assuming it is some sort of fish. Fish is healthy indeed but does not come at very affordable prices.

The meatless loaf is another I would have to pass on as it calls for peanuts. I buy those as occassional treats due to price.

One site does have some good recipes in there along with other information that was interesting to read. I have not seen all of Clara's videos but so far what she shows is more what I would be looking for. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 2 2009 2:22 PM In reply to

• karen kay
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 2 2008
    • Easter United States
    • Posts 347

I watched a few of her films and i love to listen to her talk.   so active to be 93.  I tried her pasta with peas recipe.  I liked it .  I wouldnt want to eat it every day but i can see why it would be good during depression,  it fills you up without eating a lot of it.  so im sure it could be used for a few days of heatup which would make it last a long time.  Need to watch a few more of her films to see what i can try next, although like brandy,  some of it is way more than i want to pay for .   guess sometimes we are more frugal than we think.!!!

Starry Night
  • Mon, Mar 2 2009 3:55 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

karen kay:
    guess sometimes we are more frugal than we think

We sometimes are. I think some items may have been cheaper than they are now. We adapt and use whatever is the cheapest for us today.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us