Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Salvation Army Thrift Store- High prices!

Last post Mon, Apr 6 2009 4:26 PM by Tebaliah. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 5:32 PM

Salvation Army Thrift Store- High prices!

I live near two Salvation Army Thrift Stores (near Oklahoma City). I've noticed in the last couple of years that their prices have gotten outrageous! They always charged quite a bit for any antique furniture donated- which I could sort of understand, but now all furniture prices are high. I used to be able to buy a dresser there for around $60 but now they're around $150. They do still have the 60% off after 45 days(or something like that). The couches are all $300 or more, even well-used ones. Bric-a-brac has really gotten riduculous-most things over $3 or more. I saw a cheap Christmas plastic food tray- on the bottom was the original Dollar General Price tag for $1, yet they had it priced at $1.99! Most clothing is still priced reasonably but it used to be that all clothing was priced the same, but the nicer pieces they get now are priced at $25 or more. Recently someone obviously donated a large collection of Western Wear, really quality stuff; probably off the estate of someone older who had passed away. Anyway the cowboy hats were $80/hat, cowboy boots $150, etc. They had some old books which had been donated and just one book was priced at $149!.I saw cheap, framed prints (one was identical to one I sold at a garage sale for $1) priced at $25-35. 

I know that a lot of this stuff is quality and I know that a lot of people buy nice things at thrift stores that they re-sell on ebay for a profit.  I understand that they need to take care of their overhead and they need to take care of that, but everything is donated to them. The only was that I could afford any nicer stuff was to buy at the thrift but now I can't afford their prices. It makes me mad that they are making such a big profit on donated items really bothers me. I know that they use it for good but still a lot of things are cheaper for me to buy brand new, which of course, I can't afford. If someone wants to take the time to re-sell something on ebay for a profit, I think that's fine since they take the time to list it, pack it, mail it, then they deserve it. 

I was just wondering if the Salvation Thrifts around the country have done the same thing. That's my gripe. I'm just sad because I was willing to take the time to stop in there once a week in hopes of finding something nice that I could actually afford, but that is a thing of the past. 

God Bless, 

Jackie

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 6:11 PM In reply to

Re: Salvation Army Thrift Store- High prices!

Dear Jackie, If it's any comfort, Salvation Army has always had higher prices than any other thrift store that I know of in San Francisco.  They had had a store in my neighborhood, that I went into often, so I know that this is true.  I only went on their half-off sales at holidays, & their prices were still very high at 50%-off.

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 6:16 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Most of them in my area are too high also; only one that I know of has fairly decent  prices, and it really gets the business.  The highest priced one closed its doosrs last year. The prices you stated for things are outrageous; yes they have costs but considering their merchandise is all donated and they are a charity, they could still make a profit if they lowered the prices.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 7:41 PM In reply to

• misscas
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2007
    • Kansas
    • Posts 233

Call and ask when they have their sales.  This is the only time I shop there.  They do $1 a bag kid's stuff and $1.49 an item adult clothing sometimes. 

Goodwill has gotten a little high too.  Some of the not so nice looking walmart stuff is just as expensive as the ritzy designer named stuff.  I wait until they have their $1.10 an item sale.  I qualify to use the clothing closets in town anyway.  They have a heck of a selection and it's all free.  Just can't try it on.   

Christine
  • Sat, Jan 31 2009 12:17 PM In reply to

I much prefer Salvation Army over GoodWill and have found the opposite to be true.  SA is cheaper than GoodWill hands down every where I have lived.  I'm also a very strong supporter of the Salvation Army coming from a military family, I would shop there no matter who high the price.  They do a lot of good for a lot of people, and I don't mind spending the extra.  They also pay less to their corporate employees, even their CEO, than GoodWill does (a quick google search should turn up those results). If its cheaper than brand new its good enough for me as far as SA is concerned. 

• Sat, Jan 31 2009 5:26 PM In reply to

arianasilver:
    I much prefer Salvation Army over GoodWill

same here but I don't have a Salvation Army around my new town. The Good Will here is too expensive. They don't have a large selection and what they do have looks to be worn out. I took my new thrifty friend there, she needed a few black shirts for her new job but couldn't aford any. I told her about thrift shopping and off we went. GW shirt prices were 5.99 for t-shirts. She went to Wal-mart and got it cheaper! I have to agree with  Jackie on this. I don't see a reason for such high prices.

cyn

• Sat, Jan 31 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Between the two I also prefer Salvation Army.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Feb 1 2009 5:06 PM In reply to

• misscas
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2007
    • Kansas
    • Posts 233

The goodwill tshirts are 99 cents here, $3 for long sleeves.

Christine
  • Sun, Feb 1 2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• ArielDawn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 26 2008
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 560

I recently found a childrens consignment shop that had clothing much cheaper than goodwill.   Most pants at goodwill were 3.99 and at this shop they were from 1.99 to 2.49 and honestly better quality as well.   The Goodwill I shop at (and donate to) is in one own away and it's a rather wealthy town so sometimes 3.99 for a pair of old navy, gymboree or gap pants is well worth it as they last longer than walmart pants which are 3.99 brand new.

Dawn
  • Sun, Feb 1 2009 5:49 PM In reply to

I have found the same thing regarding new vs. thrift store prices  . . . Just as an example - I went to a thrift store (It wasn't SA or GW) but I wanted to get some new measuring cups.  I found a set 3.00.  I went to Wal-Mart and found one with a plastic ring through the handles (Which I wanted in the first place) for 1.25.  Sometimes it seems to me that the pricing scale on thriftstores is backward - the little items are way over priced, but then I found a ladies writing desk, solid wood, for 12 dollars - It just needed refinishing. Of course, I'm not complaining about the 12 dollars, lol.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Anonymous

Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Anonymous
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us