Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

No longer buying canned biscuits because I have to!

Last post Fri, Jan 9 2009 12:49 PM by Edey. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 5:33 PM

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

No longer buying canned biscuits because I have to!

This is probably not a big deal to many here, but since I was little I wanted to learn how to make home-made biscuits. My grandma died before she could teach me, as did my other relatives who knew how. I was at a cousin's house last week, and she tried to explain it. All she did was confuse me, lol. I just got a recipe off allrecipes.com, and they were perfect! DH says he cannot tell the difference berween these and his grandma's! Happy dance for me!!!!

Now I can stop wasting money on canned biscuits, as these only average about 60 cents (approximately) to make 10-12! The canned ones here are usually $1 minimum.

just had to share....

Lynn

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 5:51 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: No longer buying canned biscuits because I have to!

I was in the same boat as you.  It only took me 40 years to learn how to make good biscuits. First thing I had to do was stop using Bisquick. Second was that I finally realized that biscuit dough is a "wet" dough and not like bread dough. When I found a basic/standard recipe, paid attention to making the "wet" dough, and patted them out instead of rolling, then I got the good biscuits I had craved all those years. My biscuits aren't flaky, more cake like, but that is how I like them, soft and fluffy, and like them better cold than hot. I can't stand the taste or texture of canned biscuits anymore, they are just awful.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 5:57 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Lynn that' s great ..  my DH still tells people he married me because of my biscuits ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 8:19 PM In reply to

I'm so proud and happy for you! To me that was a big deal also. Party!!! We ate softballs or hockey pucks until I got it right! It only took me eight years lol.

cyn

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 9:29 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Enjoy thos biscuits!

My Grandmother imparted her secret for homemade biscuits. I had enjoyed these since I was a kid. She made this big production of getting me to swear to secrecy since this was a family recipe. Then she leaned close to whisper, "you put the Bisquick (spelling?) in the bowl and add milk then stir". Then she cackled as she thought the whole matter was hilarious.

And people wonder why I can be so sarcastic.

She later told me that she used to make her own baking mix but when boxed mix became plentiful, she switched to it as it was easier.

Was your Grandmother making drop biscuits or rolling out dough and cutting the biscuits out?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 11:16 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

That is great!    I have made them in the past from scratch and bisquick.    I keep planning to make the ones posted in the dollar stretcher a few weeks ago since I have self rising flour or the ones from hillbilly housewife. both give you lots that you can freeze unbaked.  I want to make cheese and reg.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Jan 5 2009 11:59 AM In reply to

Okay all you biscuit making experts....everytime I try to make them from scratch they always turn out heavy and tough...what am I doing wrong?!!? Overmixing?

Lynn, I think it's great that you found a recipe that works for you!! And wow!! What a savings!!

~*~Angie~*~

• Mon, Jan 5 2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

over mixing is a problem with biscuits.  I don't make them often but like muffins, you can't overmix.    The recipe in the dollar stretcher says to knead  12 times only for her recipe.  also how well you cut in the fat too helps.

I don't really make cut biscuits more drop biscuits.  easiler.

canned biscuits, pillsbury is the only brand except for save on's store brand is cheap on sale for $2 so that doesn't happen much. mostly $2.50 each on sale  the store brand once in a blue moon for 1.49.  so I don't get them much.   don't make them much either but its not like my family is crying out for biscuits.

For pot pies I mix up bisquit for topping.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Jan 5 2009 1:25 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

eyrehead:
    everytime I try to make them from scratch they always turn out heavy and tough...what am I doing wrong?!!? Overmixing?

Yes. Mine kept turning out like hockey pucks. Tough, heavy, too thin to even slice open. I was kneading them too much; in my opinion kneading the dough is a misapplied term when it comes to making biscuits. I was rolling them out instead of patting and rolling it too thin. Biscuit dough has to be handled as little as possible; I was used to making bread which gets knocked around when kneading, exactly what you don't want to do with biscuits.

Here is the basic recipe I use:

Heat oven to 450°

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tbs. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/3 cup shortening

1 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients. Mash the shortening into the flour with a fork, then rub the flour mixture between your hands to evenly distribute the shortening. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the milk. Stir with fork gently until the flour is all mixed in, then stop!  Take a big handful of flour and spread on the board. Take a rubber spatula and gently spoon out the dough right into the middle of the flour. Still using the spatula scoop under the dough and gently turn and pat it on itself; do this 5 or 6 times until the wet dough is covered with flour and you can pat it out with floured hands. Pat it gently and leave the dough thick, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cut out with a cutter dipped in flour, cut straight down and don't twist the cutter. Put the biscuit on a greased pan. Repeat. Gather up remaining dough and pat out again. Last one will have to be hand shaped. Brush with melted butter or shortening and put in oven. Bake 12 - 16 mins. or until tops are golden brown. This makes about 10 biscuits depending on their size. 

Mine always take 16 mins. in a small electric oven. This has been the best recipe for me so I don't mess with it, I know it works. You could add a little bit of sugar to it if you want it sweeter; I don't like sweet biscuits. If I did I'd make scones. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, Jan 5 2009 1:40 PM In reply to

Thanks Edey!! I might try and make a batch tonight, since we're having breakfast for supper anyway!! If not tonight, maybe later in the week, when I make chili!

~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us