Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Holiday Decorating

Last post Tue, Jan 6 2009 9:47 AM by mamasjob. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 10:42 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Holiday Decorating

What holidays do you decorate indoors or outdoors for?

Which do you spend the most on? The Least?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Holiday Decorating

Call me the holiday scrooge. The only one I decorate for is Christmas and its a ceramic statue of the Holy Family and cards we receive. Otherwise holidays go unnoticed at our house. I lost interest when the kids moved out and I started looking at how much it cost.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 11:13 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

The least st patricks day. I have decorations from dollar store and a wreath on sale from michaels.

Xmas is the most decorations. the most expensive stuff is the lights or the stuff from avon.  mechanical decorations like musical snowman.  didn't buy anything this year. plus halloween is the second runner. if it wasn't for the tree it would be neck and neck.

I have wreaths for every holiday now.  plus a generic one for those months like jan. I made a grapevine wreath wrapped in gold beads and a big fabric gold and burgundy bow.

I don't decoration alot for other holidays.  wreaths. valentines,easter  I have lots of vinyl cling stickers that I put up on mirrors, windows etc. so will a couple of other decorations and wreaths for the front and back door that is about it.   plus whatever crafts the kids come home with from school and playgroups.

have to love the dollar store for decorations!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Jan 5 2009 12:39 PM In reply to

We decorate outside for Christmas & Halloween.  We may do something small for easter this year (we have a nice-sized evergreen bush we could put plastic eggs on, etc.).  The rest of the holiday's really don't get decorations, maybe streamers etc. for July 4th if we do a cookout. We probably spent the most on Christmas decorations inside & out, but we really have all the store-bought decorations we'll need for a while.

• Mon, Jan 5 2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I decorate for Christmas mainly. We started buying a live tree for the past two years and while it's fun to go pick one out, I feel it's a waste of money and I have a feeling it's aggravated my allergies.  I'm ready to go back to artificial!  Most of my decorations were bought on clearance, given to me, or Les found them in homes he cleaned out for work.  I have purchased lights but it's been several years since I last bought any and those were clearanced.

I have some fall decorations.  All but two things were found in homes Les cleaned and those two, I bought on clearance for a mere fraction of regular price.  I know the painted shovel with a handle that looks like corn stacked end to end was only $1.79 and was regular priced $12.99.

• Mon, Jan 5 2009 1:16 PM In reply to

Valentine's Day:  outside flag, scrubber holder in kitchen

Spring: outside flag

Easter: outside flag, wooden eggs in two-tier holder on dining room table, scrubber holder it kitchen

Independence Day: outside flag

Fall: outside flag, scrubber holder and utensil holder in kitchen, pumpkin candleholder on dining room table

Christmas: trees & ornaments, dishes, Santas, nativity scene, outside flags, hanging baskets, candles in windows, kitchen rug

Winter: scrubber holder & utentil holder in kitchen, front door rug, hanging in kitchen, snowman in living room

All these things have been acquired over time, some as gifts, and only the outside flags and hanging baskets for Christmas were purchased this year. 

• Mon, Jan 5 2009 5:09 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I decorate indoors for Valentine's Day, Easter, Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is my first year of really decorating outdoors and I did Halloween and Christmas.

The most spent this year on decorations was for Halloween and the least was Fourth of July.

• Tue, Jan 6 2009 7:52 AM In reply to

Hi brandy... what do you do for Valentines Day??  Just wondering.  Maybe you could share some of your ideas with us.

• Tue, Jan 6 2009 8:49 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

RobbieJo:
    what do you do for Valentines Day??  Just wondering.  Maybe you could share some of your ideas with us

Oh absolutely!

First, I am into aromatherapy so my preparing for a season or holiday always begins with fragrance. For Valentine's I collect candles in the floral scents that are romantic to me. These would be gardenia which is my signature scent and rose. In the weeks before and on the day, I burn these scents. Since I make my own cleaners and air fresheners, I can go so far as to scent them with these fragrances.

The next easy and very frugal thing to do is use coffee mugs that depict the holiday or season. I usually buy these second hand or after a holiday when they are marked down to get the best deals.

Window clings are also cheap touches to add some holiday flair. As Martha said somewhere around here, these are not only for windows. They add seasonal touches in any or better all rooms when placed on mirrors. These like the mugs can be picked up after season and are usually good for a couple of years before they fade badly or refuse to cling.

My children enjoy crafts so decorations have long been something they do. Usually they cut hearts from paper and we hang them around the house. We have this large arch between the kitchen and living room that rather being rounded is a straight edge across. It absolutely begs to have things hung from it so I think that would be the perfect place for a string of their paper hearts. I have a plastic set of white wedding bells stored somewhere I think, if they turn up, that would make an excellent piece to hang in the center of the arch.

Cheap snowglobes, small ceramics and knickknacks make a nice scattering of little decrative items. I buy these second hand or at the Dollar Tree. I am not sure what I have left but my collection of Valentine ones once had a Betty Boop snowglobe with little hearts that would sprinkle over her, several ceramic couples that reminded me of the Precious Moments types,  heart shaped glass paper weights and a couple of mini stuffed teddy bears with some sort of Valentine addition to them. I put these on shelves around the house. 

I also had a collection of fake roses from over the years that I would lay out on shelves as well.

Holiday towels are another touch for bathroom hand towels and the hand towels for the kitchen. If they are picked up with other seasonal decorations then they last for years.

I have been going basket decorating nuts in this house so I plan to put fabric rose petals in a basket for the Valentine touch.

I am at a loss on what to do for outdoor decorating. I have always wanted to decorate outdoors for the holidays but this is the first year I have been able to and I can't decide how to add a romantic touch to the yard and house though.

• Tue, Jan 6 2009 9:02 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I decorate the most for Christmas, then it would be Thanksgiving , then July 4th. I have a grapevine wreath that I change the decoration, bows. I have coffee cups for the seasons too. Just remembered, tablecloths....some are different seasonal designs or solid colors that match the season. Easter, I always buy a flower that can be replanted in the yard.....daffodills, lily.

Babs 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us