Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Thrift store shopping

Last post Sun, Dec 16 2012 11:50 PM by Loveday. 127 replies.
Page 1 of 13 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 11:27 AM

Thrift store shopping

Many years ago my daughter and I survived on a very slim income.  She wanted new clothes and told me she did NOT want to go to a thrift store, she wanted to go to the mall.

I gave her $25.00 and off we went.  I think she got two items.  Then we drove to the thrift store and I spent $10.00 and came back with a bag full.  She got the point.  Especially as it included a dress she found that she just had to have.

There is a great thrift mega store in Maryland where she now lives.  When I visit I bring one change of clothes because I know that the day after I arrive shopping is our fun activity for the day.

• Sat, Jan 3 2009 11:48 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: Thrift store shopping

We don't clothes shop in thrift stores but we have found some really good bargains on tools, kitchen items and some small appliances. Our favorites are the privately owned shops; only rarely do we go to Salvation Army or Goodwill.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Edey:
    We don't clothes shop in thrift stores

Is that a personal choice or because of the lack of suitable items?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Jan 3 2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

It's a lack of sizing. My size or Dh doesn't usually show up in stores, or what's there isn't worth the money.  Neither one of us are standard size, in more ways than one. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 7:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Edey:
    Neither one of us are standard size, in more ways than one.

I understand.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Jan 3 2009 8:57 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we have a new store opening near by they are going to carry second hand house hold and building supplies .. DH went over today and met them nice people he said .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 10:38 PM In reply to

Thrift shop saved me alot I still wear clothes from 5 years ago I do it because I am very limited on funds not like 11 or 15 years ago I use to shop nordstrums and Macy stores you know high end stuff now its just plain old thrift shop when I was home less I only had my dog and me and a case worker told me where to get warm clothes I bought them still have my old jacket because now since retired and living here with the parents you are llimited on funds and we all sometimes shouldn't say gross no way thrift shop if you are cold you change your mind like real quick after that...:) Been there did that too......

• Tue, Jan 6 2009 4:43 PM In reply to

There are some great thrift stores out there...I bought some "maternity" pants in good condition for about 50 cents each and they held up rather well.  Seemed a better idea than spending so much money on things I wouldn't wear for very long.  It's a great idea for everyone to look into (benefits the environment as well as the wallet).  Glad to hear you found such a large with (I'm guessing ) such a big selection of items!

• Tue, Jan 6 2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

yesterday at a local thrift store I got a really great kitchen table it with and modeled like ones from the 40's and 50s for $8.00 .. I also got 2 packages of cloth diapers for $2.00 a piece  I got 4 new teddy bears still in the packages for $2.00 and my DD two really cute skirt  and 5 shirts for $2.00 ( $2.00 bag sale ) .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Jan 6 2009 5:36 PM In reply to

My favorite thrift store closed in May and we moved across town in August. I have not found a thrift store that meets all my needs like my favorite store that closed. But I have had luck with a children's consignment shop 5 minutes from our house. The prices are a bit more than the thrift store but the clearance items can be just as good of a buy as the thrift stores. And it's still cheaper than Wal-Mart and Target, etc.

Erika
Page 1 of 13 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us