Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What do you think about the green bags suppose to keep vegies and fruits longer?

Last post 06-04-2010 10:23 AM by Anetha. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2007 11:14 AM

• Mamaw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-23-2007
    • Posts 13

What do you think about the green bags suppose to keep vegies and fruits longer?

Avertised on TV. They are also have a drying rack after you have used and washed them.

Red Hat Mamaw
  • 07-26-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

Re: What do you think about the green bags suppose to keep vegies and fruits longer?

Well from a bit of research, and I have not ever heard of these bags or used them, it seems the "oya clay"("active ingredient is a natural material") is what helps the fruit stay fresh, not so much the bag itself.  So I am wondering if a small piece of clay pot in a regular ziplock with fresh dry fruit or vegetables would not do the same thing at a much lower cost.  You can use zplocks over and over again if they've never contained meat products, this product advertises a use of 8 times.  I didn't see anything about the drying rack, I am sorry but do think anything could work as a drying rack if that is one of the main reasons for purchasing this product,  I use a braided piece of twine and clothes pins that is hung over my sink, works great!

At the top of the face page it has a running number in the billions and states, "plastic bags consumed this year", that is a frightening number as far as the envrionment and I am concerned. 

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/evertfresh-green-bags-pack-large-p-255.html#

Just my opinion but I would try the above mentioned alternatives before I spent any monies on this product.  ; ) 

• 08-02-2008 6:13 AM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

Re: What do you think about the green bags suppose to keep vegies and fruits longer?

FYI, for those that are interested.

The liner that comes in the cereal boxes (that keeps the cereal fresh) does the same thing as the Debbie Meyer green bags. Best of all, they are FREE.Wink  Well, after you buy the cereal, that is.

• 08-02-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

I am answering my own question. My mother 90 told me they worked. I was trying to make on online order from CVS of $49.00 so I could get the $10.00 off and free shipping they were on sale. I use CVS on line because of medical problems. Yes they do work. I already had a two piece paper towel holder took the top off and they fit over that to dry. I sure cereal bags would work I just don't eat cereal. Bags are a problem these but these are reusable many times and then I will use them in the bathroom to discard personal items. When I am able to go to the grocery, library etc I use cloth bags so I hope I am offsetting a little of the impact.

So the answer to my question for me is yes they do work. 

• 10-29-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Has anyone else had any experience with these? There's a poll on Dollar Stretcher about keeping produce fresh. I'm curious as to what seems to work best for you. Take the poll first, then share your method, please?

Storing Produce: Readers' Poll 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 11-01-2008 5:39 PM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 10-05-2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

I chose other... when I buy fresh produce, I do some research into the best way to store it. I've become sort of an expert on the things I buy often... for example, uncut tomatoes and bananas keep best at room temperature, squashes keep best in air that's a little cool and out of light, potatoes keep best in a paper bag in a dark place, etc. I just store each thing whichever way is best for it.

For greens and leafy things, I keep them in the plastic bags from the produce department and wrap them in damp paper towels. Celery, lettuce, parsley, green beans, etc. Otherwise I just stick it in the refrigerator and eat it up... and if I don't eat it in time, it gets frozen!  

• 11-01-2008 6:03 PM In reply to

My understanding is that the "green bags" allow the gas ethylene which the produce puts off to escape without hovering over the fruits and vegetables. Ethylene is one of the gases which promotes decay.

However, these bags do not prevent the nutrients from decay - just the appearance of decay. The produce continues to break down, but since ethylene is wicked away from the produce, it still looks fresh. So strawberries stored in green bags which look great after 9 days (and if they're supermarket berries, who knows how old they already were) might look and taste fresh, but be devoid of most nutritional benefits.

That is my understanding of the green bags after I did some informal internet research on them and on ethylene a few months ago, when I was interested in picking up a set. I've been reading a lot on freezer prep for foods, and one of the big promotions is of blanching for vegetables, precisely because blanching DOES temporarily arrest the decay of nutrients. So maybe blanching and freezing would be a better option than using green bags, nutritionally speaking.

(Please keep in mind that everything I just said is a blanket statement. Different nutrients and different produce are going to act differently, but in general, I believe what I've written to be correct.)

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• 11-01-2008 10:38 PM In reply to

I work in a retail "kitchen" store. We sell DM green bags. I haven't used them myself, though I should have from what all my customers are telling me who've used them. I've talked to oodles of people who have tried them and have only had two naysayers, so I feel 100% positive that they do what they are claimed to do.

Actually, I've noticed when I leave bananas in the plastic bag from the produce department, they last days longer than they do sitting out in the air. I'm wondering if the DM's bags would work even better? I'm pretty happy with the result of the produce bag.

Interesting about the cereal bags. We don't eat much cereal around here, but I may mention it to my daughter to see if she'll save me theirs so I can try them out.

• 11-06-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    Has anyone else had any experience with these?

Mom bought a pack and gave me a few to try. The bags seem to be working better than other things I have tried.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 11-06-2008 10:12 AM In reply to

I bought a package to store garden produce in before our first hard freeze.  I had so many pappers and wanted to keep them as long as possible.  The peppers were picked on Oct. 26 and I made a big batch of stuffed peppers yesterday as that is what my son wants for Christmas.  Not to eat that day but to take home. 

The peppers were in great condition.  Still nice and crisp and really better than what you'd find in the grocery store.  I've still got a big bag left so I'm anxious to see how they look next week.  I did freeze some diced peppers but am so happy to have the garden produce last just a little bit longer.  Even here in central Iowa we're still eating greens and radishes from the garden and have leeks and onions ready to be picked.

My opinion is that they were worth and money and I'll be using them in the future.

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us