Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Crafting Chair

Last post 10-31-2009 1:04 AM by speedy. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2008 1:27 PM

Crafting Chair

For those who knit, crochet or stitch, what kind of chair do you sit in? What do you look for when you go to buy a new chair? Do you take your craft with you to the store and test it out? What other accessories do you add to your chair?
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-31-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: Crafting Chair

Honestly?  I usually sit on the couch, with my legs stretched out the length of the couch and my back supported by 2 pillows and the arm of the couch.  Occasionally I will sit in an armchair - sometimes with and sometimes without a footstool - but I don't have a special chair.  I find that the couch back supports the open side of the stitching frame in a way that helps me, and when I was maing a truly large project, I sat forward on the couch, and supported one end of the frame on the couch arm and the other on a couple of pillows.  When I crochet, the couch back supports my hook (right) hand, while I can put the yarn on the coffed table while I stitch.
  • 12-31-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I usually sit in a small glider type of chair where a side table makes things handy, but sometimes move to the couch in the living room to knit. Other times I sit in a rocking chair in the office. It just depends on my mood, I guess! 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-31-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

Ahhh...I just love my "craft room" chair ! My craft room is incorporated into one of the guest rooms...pencil post bed with dark cranberry drapes hanging from the top frame of the bed frame...it's called the "Paris Room" done all in white / dark cranberry and dark cranberry toile and black accents and the best part is the overstuffed chair in the corner covered in white and black Zebra fabric !  My older sister went to Paris and sent back several post cards and they are displayed on the wall...

deb in az

• 12-31-2008 2:17 PM In reply to

The couch, cuz, well, it's there :)

• 12-31-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I have a large recliner and a padded chair on wheels like an office chair.

One thing I learned: you can't use a treadle sewing machine while sitting on a chair with wheels. Try to push on the treadle and you roll back away from the machine.  There is a mechanical principle in there somewhere.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
    Filed under: ,
  • 12-31-2008 5:27 PM In reply to

I cross stitch on my couch with a pillow propped up under my right arm.  I do this because my arm gets tired.  LOL  DH and I really need to get a new couch and I think we found one we both like (finally).  I'm not sure how my stitching will go in that couch.  It's not something I've even considered.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 01-01-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

I don't really have a specific chair I use for crafting. I usually knit on the counch because there's nowhere else to sit. Ok, I like it there too. LOL I usually do any beaded projects (for christmas) on the kitchen chairs at the table. I have taken knitting or crochet prokects with me and I sit where ever I can. Makes no difference to me.

• 01-01-2009 10:02 PM In reply to

If I am knitting or crocheting then couch or recliner or wherever I happen to be, moms group etc.    beading or sewing etc would be at a table in a hard back chair like dining room chair.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 10-31-2009 1:04 AM In reply to

Yep, I'm digging back through old posts.  But I thought you guys would get a great kick out of mine!  I don't have a chair in my sewing room, so I use my big exercise ball!  I read a few articles about how it's good for your core anyhow.  God knows I don't use it to exercise, so I may's well get SOME benefit from it!  :)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us