Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Memory foam mattresses

Last post 01-23-2009 12:33 AM by Pat. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2008 11:33 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Memory foam mattresses

One of the things I have to do in 2009 is buy a new mattress. Mine is getting really bad. I've been looking around some and now I'm wondering about the "memory foam" mattresses. Are the other brands as good as the original memory foam? Anyone had any experience with the memory foam tops?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-29-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Memory foam mattresses

Since we will also be mattress hunting at some point, I too am interested in hearing feedback.

Our own mattress is not really bad but we still need a bed frame for it and may well go with a queen size then. Our daughter needs a twin bed this year. I have looked at the memory foam toppers and other toppers as a little pick me up if we decide to stick with the full size bed.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-29-2008 12:31 PM In reply to

We have two of the memory foam matteress toppers. One on our bed and one on the bed in ou RV. We love it. We needed a new matteress, our is hard. UGG! Didnt have the money for a new one. We saw these at Job Lot and bought one. It made a huge difference in sleeping for us. Then we bought one for the RV. Before , we had a down feather topper and this is much better. The price wasnt bad Cheaper at Job Lot than other places. You do need a deeper sheet or just put the sheet over the topper. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 12-29-2008 12:35 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Did you get the original Memory Foam, or was it another brand? I'm seeing quite a difference in price. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 12-29-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

We bought toppers for our beds and neither DH or I could get used to them. I've heard some people say they get too hot when they lay on them. I just found them too stiff. If you get a topper, make sure your fitted sheets will be deep enough to accommodate the topper.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-29-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Toni B.:
    We bought toppers for our beds and neither DH or I could get used to them.

I'm wondering if there's a difference in brands.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 12-29-2008 1:16 PM In reply to

Pat:
    I'm wondering if there's a difference in brands.  
    I'm not sure. We bought ours from Walmart and they weren't cheap. The twin size started at $89 and this was earlier in the year. I had seen similar prices at BJ's wholesale club. I would expect to pay more if they were bought from other stores. My SIL has a memory foam mattress and she spent big bucks and loves it. I wasn't about to invest a large sum on something that might not work.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-29-2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

The prices I've seen were at least that much and higher. Thanks.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 12-29-2008 2:17 PM In reply to

• mrs_q
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2008
    • Posts 67

We bought ours at Sam's Club about three years ago and I want to say it was between 150-200. I could not tell you the brand but I think it was the only one they carried. I think the brands are very similar in quality, the big issue is the thickness. I have seen some toppers that are only 1in. the one we have is 3-4in thick. My biggest complaint is that it will not stay put on the bed, it is very bad to slide off the matteress. My mother in law had a 100% foam matteress for decades & that thing looked and felt brand new. I have no idea what the brand was but it had held up very very well.

You might try overstock.com.

• 12-29-2008 2:36 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Thanks for your comments, mrs_q, that helps. I think I need to look at some "in person" before looking on the internet just so I'll have an idea of what I'm looking for. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us