Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Salt Substitutes for baking

Last post Fri, Dec 26 2008 10:27 PM by gayla50. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 26 2008 11:28 AM

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 4 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

Salt Substitutes for baking

I'm wondering whether I can use salt substitutes in place of salt for baking. I need to lower my salt intake, and I never realized how much salt was in baking soda and baking powder- even more than in normal table salt!

Are there any substitutions for these things? And will my recipes still work if I replace salt with salt substitute? Keeping in mind that I replace my fats with applesauce and use half whole grain and half white flour.

• Fri, Dec 26 2008 11:42 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Salt Substitutes for baking

I think it depends on your recipe. I've mistakenly omitted the salt before in bread and it raised and baked well, but tasted flat. I don't know of a substitute for baking soda or baking powder other than eggs (for leavening). Eggs may not be good in some recipes. You can probably cut the amount of baking soda or baking powder without making a lot of difference. 

One thing I discovered is that sea salt has less sodium than processed table salt. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Dec 26 2008 1:37 PM In reply to

You need to clear using a salt substitute with your doctor first if you're on medicine for high blood pressure. Most salt substitutes contain potassium, which can be dangerous if you consume too much.

You can eliminate extra salt by using salt-free butter (unsalted butter) in cooking and baking.

Why unsalted butter? Because no two brands of butter contain the same amount of salt (butter with salt variety). This is one useful thing I learned from reading Marha Stewart and by using unsalted butter you can avoid preparing things that taste too salty.Wink

• Fri, Dec 26 2008 9:01 PM In reply to

• daboysj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 30 2008
    • Posts 69

For health, talk to your doctor.  For taste, I use a low sodium salt in all of my baking.  I am not sure if it is actually a salt sub. or not.  I have never noticed a difference in how my baking taste or how it bakes.

• Fri, Dec 26 2008 10:27 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

according to what I found ...

Salt substitutes, containing only potassium chloride and no sodium chloride, are not recommended for use in baking. The flavor and texture of baked goods will not be the same quality.

Salt substitute mixtures containing part sodium chloride can be used successfully in baking. For most recipes, a potassium chloride/sodium chloride blend can replace table salt in the same quantities, as directed. Recipes using an automatic bread-making machine may not perform as well.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us